F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

That 230 is insane! The 195 is an ok bullet but I feel for its weight the bc should be higher. Look at the 197 smk.... now that's a real winner at .780!

Yes they both have good BC. the .780 for the 197smk and .800 for the 230smk are the top of the fps range. when you avarage them out they drop a bit the 230smk is then .773 and the 197 is .752 And the Bergers 195 is .755 So not any different when you take them far.
Doesn't the 225 eldm beat the 195 berger? Around .78 with a 7 twist

https://www.hornady.com/support/ballistic-coefficient

At that twist yes it beats the Berger. The average for the 225 with 7 twist is a G1 of .776 About where the 230smk is (.773) if you average it out.

Rather than obsess over BC (Ballistic Coefficient) look rather at CD (Coefficient of Drag) which is ballistically more relevant.

Once into 215 gr. or above VLD or hybrid ogive/secant bullets we get quite low CD figures. Those will likely be the bullets used for the 300 PRC.

I have several boxes of .30 caliber Berger 230 gr. Hybrid bullets. On the box label: "Specifically Designed for Tactical Applications in the XM2010" The XM2010 is the old Army M24 Remington long action re-barreled in .300 Win mag and put into a Cadex-designed chassis. Cadex is a Canadian company. I am not a fan of their designs for several reasons. Barrett's MRAD solves all the Cadex problems and then some.

IMHO:
-> With the Barrett MRAD we have a better action and chassis.
-> With the 300 PRC we have a marginally better .30 caliber cartridge. (Over the .300 Win mag)

"Better" + "better" = Much better for our snipers.

Eric B.

Rather than obsess over BC (Ballistic Coefficient) look rather at CD (Coefficient of Drag) which is ballistically more relevant.

Once into 215 gr. or above VLD or hybrid ogive/secant bullets we get quite low CD figures. Those will likely be the bullets used for the 300 PRC.

I have several boxes of .30 caliber Berger 230 gr. Hybrid bullets. On the box label: "Specifically Designed for Tactical Applications in the XM2010" The XM2010 is the old Army M24 Remington long action re-barreled in .300 Win mag and put into a Cadex-designed chassis. Cadex is a Canadian company. I am not a fan of their designs for several reasons. Barrett's MRAD solves all the Cadex problems and then some.

IMHO:
-> With the Barrett MRAD we have a better action and chassis.
-> With the 300 PRC we have a marginally better .30 caliber cartridge. (Over the .300 Win mag)

"Better" + "better" = Much better for our snipers.

Eric B.

Won't the Norma mag will send those low CD bullets faster than the prc?

Hornady claims 2850 for there 225 ELDM in the 300PRC. 77 grains of RL25 or 75.7 of RL26

Norma claims 2940 for the Berger 230 Hybrid in the 300 norma. 87 grains of Norma 217

Neither listed barrel length for the load data.

"One" must ask "oneself", why didn't the Army choose the 300 NM??
For several years I have contemplated switching the .300 Win mag barrel on my Browning A-Bolt to .300 norma mag.

Eric B.

For several years I have contemplated switching the .300 Win mag barrel on my Browning A-Bolt to .300 norma mag.

Eric B.

I think they did. Well socom anyway. You hear so much the web who knows. Look at post #150 on here.

People want to compare B.C's of X brand of bullet to another X brand of bullet.
Take whatever one you want run it at X FPS to say 1000 yds. it drops X amount of inches, now take different brand same weight drops X amont of inches at same yard same FPS that's a fair comparision.
Run a 30 cal 215 hybrid at 3100fps and see how many inches you drop at 1000, now do a 230 at 3000 and see w

Eric B.
Wrong boltface.

Eric B.

it is funny and curious to me that this thread has gone on for 12 pages when the title is completely wrong. I guess because nobody reads through all the comments. I'm guilty of it too.

this contract is not for big army, it is for SOCOM. The army is not replacing their 2010s in 300wm that they just fully rolled out a few years ago.

The cartridge was never 300prc. The cartridges chosen for this system are 308win, 300nm, and 338nm

it is funny and curious to me that this thread has gone on for 12 pages when the title is completely wrong. I guess because nobody reads through all the comments. I'm guilty of it too.

this contract is not for big army, it is for SOCOM. The army is not replacing their 2010s in 300wm that they just fully rolled out a few years ago.

The cartridge was never 300prc. The cartridges chosen for this system are 308win, 300nm, and 338nm

Agreed! People assumes that is the case without knowing the full "real" detail.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.