F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

That sucks on the double-dope charts
Yeah but turned it into a good teaching moment. I always emphasize to guys that they need to keep data on their primary and alternate ammo (usually M80 ball), along with the zero shift it will bring. If switching to ball ammo I will turn turrets to the documented new zero and then utilize the reticle (like a poor man's horus) to engage targets.

John Lazzaroni cartridges could be? I can't recall ever seeing anyone chambering his stuff but him, or custom rifles. Never seen any ammo or brass other than proprietary, too.
I dont see the scramjet, firebird, warbird, titan, Saturn, meteor, spitfire, phantom, tomahawk, patriot, or galaxy anywhere in the saami book

I dont see the scramjet, firebird, warbird, titan, Saturn, meteor, spitfire, phantom, tomahawk, patriot, or galaxy anywhere in the saami book
That's why I added the "might be" in there. It was the closest thing I could figure, other than maybe the Nosler cartridges?

Yep, you would be targeted just like we would target them. You don't want to stand out. Most insertions were probably via vehicle of sort when inside urban sprawl.
Yeah, said they would go out 3 or 4 days at a time and usually would try and set up in buildings to watch alley ways and roads that were trying to for people planting I.E.D's

That's why I added the "might be" in there. It was the closest thing I could figure, other than maybe the Nosler cartridges?
Lazzaroni are Wildcats not saami, the "nosler" series are saami and open source as far as I know, hornady makes 28noz, dogtown makes 22noz

If its saami spec, it's open source so anyone can make ammo or chamber rifles in a saami cartridge, and to get a cartridge approved by saami a voting member must submit its specs ...there are only 29 voting members so if you want to submit your wildcat cartridge you must go through a voting member -- not even supporting members can submit for approval

Lazzaroni are Wildcats not saami, the "nosler" series are saami and open source as far as I know, hornady makes 28noz, dogtown makes 22noz

If its saami spec, it's open source so anyone can make ammo or chamber rifles in a saami cartridge, and to get a cartridge approved by saami a voting member must submit its specs ...there are only 29 voting members so if you want to submit your wildcat cartridge you must go through a voting member -- not even supporting members can submit for approval
Good info to know.

Plentiful, possibly surplus brass. Ballistics approaching the .300 RUM. Hmmmmmm. Something to think about!

I have a Remington actioned HS Precision target in .300 Win mag. It's 25 years old.
BUT, if I were to do it today it would be in the 300 PRC as I feel it is even better designed than the .300 Norma mag.

My friend's .338 LM MRAD is just beautifully accurate using a US Optics scope. I can't understand why all the MRADS were not ordered in .338 LM. After all, it's about best distance and being able to do some anti-material damage as well.
But the good news is they can be quickly changed over to .338 LM when needed. That is part of the Army's solicitation requirements.

I have a Remington actioned HS Precision target in .300 Win mag. It's 25 years old.
BUT, if I were to do it today it would be in the 300 PRC as I feel it is even better designed than the .300 Norma mag.

My friend's .338 LM MRAD is just beautifully accurate using a US Optics scope. I can't understand why all the MRADS were not ordered in .338 LM. After all, it's about best distance and being able to do some anti-material damage as well.
But the good news is they can be quickly changed over to .338 LM when needed. That is part of the Army's solicitation requirements.

Why do you feel the prc is better design than the Norma? Just curious since I would say the opposite.

Other than maybe factory ammo I can't think of a leg up the prc would have.

Last edited:
no 300 prc on this post

On Monday, SOCOM awarded a $49.9 million, five-year contract to Barrett Firearms for the command's Advanced Sniper Rifle program meant to replace the Precision Sniper Rifle currently fielded to special operations snipers.

Barrett's bolt-action Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD) precision system will be chambered in 7.62×51 mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum with the help of a separate conversion kit.

Uhh yeah copy that. This was from page 7

Yep just went back and looked. 300 norma mag for this $50m contract.

The DOD recently ordered some of these rifles in 300prc though

no 300 prc on this post

On Monday, SOCOM awarded a $49.9 million, five-year contract to Barrett Firearms for the command's Advanced Sniper Rifle program meant to replace the Precision Sniper Rifle currently fielded to special operations snipers.

Barrett's bolt-action Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD) precision system will be chambered in 7.62×51 mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum with the help of a separate conversion kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts