F Class

Gurn

If a person wanted to get into F Class style shooting would these two be a good "starter kit" to see if you were really interested in that style of shooting. Thanks

XTR II

Savage Arms

Looks like you might have to hit refresh to see the gun. Don't know why the link don't work good.

On the scope I would go with a Night Force first, simply because resale second hand is very good and so is the scope. Second, I would go with a Sightron 10-50 model and save the dollars. The 6br rifle is excellent for 600 yard f class, but if going to 1000 yards you may want to change the barrel to a different cartridge that will buck the wind especially if you will be shooting where it is known to be windy. There is the 6.5x.284, but I don't care for the barrel life if you hot rod it.

Don Dunlap

On the scope I would go with a Night Force first, simply because resale second hand is very good and so is the scope. Second, I would go with a Sightron 10-50 model and save the dollars. The 6br rifle is excellent for 600 yard f class, but if going to 1000 yards you may want to change the barrel to a different cartridge that will buck the wind especially if you will be shooting where it is known to be windy. There is the 6.5x.284, but I don't care for the barrel life if you hot rod it.

Don Dunlap

Thanks
If the 6 is kinda light. How about a 270WSM with a 8 or 9 twist? The recoil on my light hunting gun in that cal is not bad. Problem is with the 10 twist for them long bullets. As far as that scope, bein it's a first focal, does that help or hurt. I had that Burris XTR before to check out it, was very clear but I have never looked through a Night Force or Sightron. Changed my mind on target shooting and returned it. I had never seen a scope that when you turn the power up the reticle gets bigger.

Are you going to shoot 1k or just mid range?

The savage is fine for what you want, but I would search the classifieds on some competition sites. You'll be surprised what you can get for the price of that savage.

If you have a local range holding matches I say jump in balls deep. You don't need tiptop of the line to be competitive. First things first I'd go to a match, not to shoot, but to check it out and talk to a few guys then decide if you want to pursue it. There is no sense in dropping $1500 on a gun just to want a $3500 gun 3 matches later.

I've always been a hunter first so it was hard to justify buying a bench gun until I talked to one of the top guys at the range. He said "how many times do you shoot a hunting rifle?... We just shot 55x". Then I realized that the range gun was going to get shot a lot and therefore worth the investment.

BTW.. if I'm reading the aggregate correctly that guy just placed 8th at nationals. Also held the 600yd record for all of 10min b/c that same day a one pt better score came in.

BTW.. if I'm reading the aggregate correctly that guy just placed 8th at nationals. Also held the 600yd record for all of 10min b/c that same day a one pt better score came in.

Nice! He speak I listen. The longest range I know around here is 600yds so I don't know if you call that md range. I'm sure If I really got interested I would like to try farther if possible. As far as buying a used gun thats scary to me. Lots of people sell guns that had the pee shot outta em or they never shot right in the first place so they get pawned off.....Ha! I know If I buy a gun that don't shoot like I think it should I take the loss and sell it. Not sayin you cant find great deals Ive sure gave ah few myself but is scary. So are we agreein that the Savage and the Burris wont compete? Made too cheap? I know squat about it but it has been interestin readin about it. I'm gonna retire soon and want to find another hobby. Like I aint got enough already. Longbows, and arras, 20yds is long range to me, and huntin rifles. 2 to 300yds is long range to me. I would have thought shooting at animals 7 or 800yds away was just ah good way ta feed coyotes with three legged and hole in the guts deer. Kinda like ah stunt that worked sometimes but no threads pic or vids posted of three legged deers when they don't. Guess that goes ta show what I know. I guess I need to consider all that was said and think about this. When I retire I will have a piller sack full ah time but not $50 bills. So If I do something like this I gotta spend wisely. I know the 6.5 does real good at them long shoots the proof is there but are sometimes things just the flavor of the day, week, or maybe a few years. I mean is it the end all to end all like I'm sure there was before it stepped up. I said before some ones sees ah feller catch a fish on a meps spinner then he tells his buddies. Next thing ya know everybody and their brother is castin meps spinners all starting with one guy that had a better than usual day. Just by sure numbers and trust in that spinner your gonna have higher #s ah fish caught on it then say a spoon that just a few are still usin. I'm just used to loading for the 270WSM and couldn't figure with a faster twist it wouldn't work good. But again I add I anit no expert in anything related ta guns targets or huntin. Just ah feller with the cents of ah tree stump rambelin on.

Nice! He speak I listen. The longest range I know around here is 600yds so I don't know if you call that md range. I'm sure If I really got interested I would like to try farther if possible. As far as buying a used gun thats scary to me. Lots of people sell guns that had the pee shot outta em or they never shot right in the first place so they get pawned off.....Ha! I know If I buy a gun that don't shoot like I think it should I take the loss and sell it. Not sayin you cant find great deals Ive sure gave ah few myself but is scary. So are we agreein that the Savage and the Burris wont compete? Made too cheap? I know squat about it but it has been interestin readin about it. I'm gonna retire soon and want to find another hobby. Like I aint got enough already. Longbows, and arras, 20yds is long range to me, and huntin rifles. 2 to 300yds is long range to me. I would have thought shooting at animals 7 or 800yds away was just ah good way ta feed coyotes with three legged and hole in the guts deer. Kinda like ah stunt that worked sometimes but no threads pic or vids posted of three legged deers when they don't. Guess that goes ta show what I know. I guess I need to consider all that was said and think about this. When I retire I will have a piller sack full ah time but not $50 bills. So If I do something like this I gotta spend wisely. I know the 6.5 does real good at them long shoots the proof is there but are sometimes things just the flavor of the day, week, or maybe a few years. I mean is it the end all to end all like I'm sure there was before it stepped up. I said before someones sees ah feller catch a fish on a meps spinner then he tells his buddies. Next thing ya know everybody and their brother is castin meps spinners all starting with one guy that had a better than usual day. Just by sure numbers and trust in that spinner your gonna have higher #s ah fish caught on it then say a spoon that just a few are still usin. I'm just used to loading for the 270WSM and couldn't figure with a faster twist it wouldn't work good. But again I add I anit no expert in anything related ta guns targets or huntin. Just ah feller with the cents of ah tree stump rambelin on.

Also is it just me but are there a lots of......Them dang books don't know what their talkin bout!!"This load is safe in MY rifle", goins on with the 6.5X284....HE ''HE
I know my brother and me used to run the Marlinowners site ( great site) and the shoulda bought ah 485 Win 45/70 guys used the "safe in my rifle" quite ah bit and the shoulda bought a 45/70 444boys was right big on that one two. Ha !! I guess that would be the shoulda bought ah 264 Win 65X284 guys!! It's ah common thing. Many folks want there 308 ta be ah 06 an their 06 a 300WIN.

Ha don't get mad boys I'm always commin up with stuff like this. I just aint right and caint do no better.

The savage will certainly compete, I used a savage, but it didn't take long before I wanted more. The 6.5x284 is a slick rig, but barrel life is a reality.. I've heard of as few as 900rds. I shoot a 284win, probably one of the most common calibers on the line.

Whats wrong w/ buying 5k worth the gun for 2k? If you can't get it to shoot take it to the smith and drop a few extra dollars on it, you're still going to be ahead of the curve by a few thousand.

The savage will certainly compete, I used a savage, but it didn't take long before I wanted more. The 6.5x284 is a slick rig, but barrel life is a reality.. I've heard of as few as 900rds. I shoot a 284win, probably one of the most common calibers on the line.

Whats wrong w/ buying 5k worth the gun for 2k? If you can't get it to shoot take it to the smith and drop a few extra dollars on it, you're still going to be ahead of the curve by a few thousand.

I guess thats good thinkin as far as a used gun. What kinda bullet do you shoot outta that 7mm?
I'm just poking folks about this F class stuff cause when I first got into traditional archery I kinda did it on my own. I spent money and time that was wasted because I didnt read as much as I could and talk to others involved. Reloading I did the same mistake. I could have learned a lot cheaper and faster if I had of. Wouldnt wanna make the same mistake if I should get into this. Thanks.

Hey folks been ah while. Thanks for all the advice. I ended up gettin into 22lr Benchrest so can only afford that now. Got ah nice one built on a 40X action with octagon barrel. I also looked and was havin ah hard time finding a faster than 1/10 for my 270WSM. Using those twist rate guides it seemed the twist was slow for those high BC 150s like Bergers. Thanks again

BEST-FOR-THE-MONEY GEAR

RIFLE-> Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

SCOPE-> Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS 4.5 - 30 x 50

A quality brand one piece 34 mm ring set will have the best front to rear ring alignment. This is important so as to not put any bending pressure on the scope tube when the rings are tightened. Using two-piece rings means you must get a ring lapping kit and lap the rings by hand for exact alignment.

My PRS setup is a 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle and Bushnell 3.5 - 21 x 50 and Nightforce Unimount rings.
BUT, F Class demands a higher power scope (when mirage lets you use it) to compete with other F Class competitors are using very high power scopes.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.