Eye fatigue?

ajridgedell

Was doing a ladder test today, took about an hour and a half. Later in the test it became very difficult to focus on the target, like it was WAY out of focus, reticle was clear but couldn't make out circle on target at all. I looked around a minute blink my eyes and looked again and was clear again. This happened a few more times towards the end of the test and the last time I just kept concentrating on the target and it gradually cleared up. Changing the focus eye piece while it was blurry didn't help either. This has happened to me before while working up a load at a long distance where I am concentrating very hard on the target circle. I do not wear glasses or anything, and I don't feel like I need them in normal circumstances. The scope is a vortex viper pst 6-24 FFp. I was at 24 power.
So my question is... Is this normal when looking through a scope and focusing real hard on the target? In other shooting conditions I havnt noticed this problem such as at a match. Would better glass solve this problem, or do I maybe need glasses?

My shooting eye (right) does the same thing, but my reticle will fade out. Once i blink it will clear again! And then slowly diminish. I have a stigmatism in my right eye, and I believe that is my problem from what I've gathered.

There is a condition known as "asthenopia" that can result from lengthy visual concentration. In my situation it seems to help if I have both eyes open when looking through the scope.
I don't see an optometrist, my eye physician is a opthamologist. I have the "start" of cataracts but not bad enough for surgery yet. I also wear trifocals. I get an exam every year and for the past three years my prescription has remained the same. Even so, when I concentrate on the target too long, the image falls slightly out of focus. A blink usually clears things up. But sighting through the scope with both eyes open has made it a bit less of a problem for me.
Before you make a self diagnosis, I'd suggest you make an appointment with an opthamologist for a checkup.

Last edited:
aj, if you adjusted the parallax and frequently use 24 power you may consider a thorough eye exam. I'm definitely not an Optomitrist, but since getting a yearly exam and new glasses for the past decade I haven't had any vision problems. Eventually most people need corrective eye ware or if they can afford it, the laser surgery. I read that corrective lenses checked yearly can extend ones vision quality. Good luck

So my question is... Is this normal when looking through a scope and focusing real hard on the target? In other shooting conditions I havnt noticed this problem such as at a match. Would better glass solve this problem, or do I maybe need glasses?

To be blunt I would say that is not normal - and if it was the scope/lenses it would do it all the time. Do yourself a favor if you haven't had an eye exam recently and get one - hopefully nothing is wrong but you will have that possibility crossed off the list.

May check into it. My thinking has been I can see fine and the aggravation of wearing glasses or contacts wouldn't be worth the benefits, but if it's affecting my shooting I gotta do something! Lol i didn't know if that happens to everyone or not.

I'm not a doctor and you should get an eye exam. However.

I have the same symptoms but wear contacts. My dr has diagnosed me with dry eyes. It's something about the glands along the edge of the lids getting clogged. Dr. has me do some exercises and other stuff. I'm not saying that's what you have, just that's what I have. Get them checked out.

I have spent many-many days behind a rifle scope or spotting scope. Eye fatigue is very real, especially with a scope with "ok" glass and with the power cranked up all the way. You need to take frequent breaks when possible and keep the eyes lubricated. If on a spotter switching eyes help as well.
The better quality your optics are the less eye fatigue you will have as well.

I have the same symptoms, exactly. Short shooting sessions I have no troubles but times where I am behind the scope for extended periods, focusing is difficult without taking short breaks.

I just completed an eye exam because of this. Advise was to threat this as a form of dry eyes as all other testing indicate normal vision with no issues.

I have the same symptoms, exactly. Short shooting sessions I have no troubles but times where I am behind the scope for extended periods, focusing is difficult without taking short breaks.

I just completed an eye exam because of this. Advise was to threat this as a form of dry eyes as all other testing indicate normal vision with no issues.

I hope I just didn't bye eye coverage for no reason! Ha ha

Out of curiosity which is your dominant eye? I shoot righty but my left is dominant so I have to close it, I find I get fatigue eventually from holding one eye closed and it starts messing with my open eye.

I'm only 26 but sometimes I feel like an old man, my wife likes to make fun of my gray hair coming in. Ha ha

I am right eye dominant, and shoot everything right handed. I normally shoot both eyes open with a scope, or left eye slightly squinted.

I have noticed when I adjust the spotting scope or binos to focus for me, it is pretty far out for others. However when trying to read things a few feet and further I can read just as small of text as my wife when she's wearing her glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts