Extractor Marks?

If this load was shot at 30 degrees. DO NOT shoot it at the warmer months.

Your brass looks on the hotter side. Just because the manual goes that high, doesn't mean it was accurate.

Try chambering a round without firing. Eject it and see if you if you get ejector swipe ( smiley). If you do, could be you need to size another .001" or so or rough machining in the ejector or the hole is beveled. That is why all newer Rems get nasty volcano looking craters in the primers.

I have gotten this on virgin cases before.

I went out and shot today with the Winchester brass. Temperature was 46.2 and I'm not sure what I was thinking but winds were between 15-20mph. I shot this group. I think from the feedback that was given this load will work. Chronograph was giving fits so I don't have velocities but this was the result after dropping charge 1.5grains. I left the OAL at 2.855" with 215m.
7EB6A2A6-4F6D-4607-9E3F-702E58166AE2.jpeg
D73FB4AD-0E1B-44DF-9080-D2067FEBE16D.jpeg

I went out and shot today with the Winchester brass. Temperature was 46.2 and I'm not sure what I was thinking but winds were between 15-20mph. I shot this group. I think from the feedback that was given this load will work. Chronograph was giving fits so I don't have velocities but this was the result after dropping charge 1.5grains. I left the OAL at 2.855" with 215m. View attachment 333529View attachment 333532
What's your velocity now? Are you happy with the group? Stretch her out and see.

What's your velocity now? Are you happy with the group? Stretch her out and see.
I am unsure of velocity, this was the only 3 shots it did not read today. Go figure. I figured after this group, the chronograph not reading, and being in the lovely wind we had it was time to call it a day. Will have to stretch it out another day.

One thing to consider in this area is that 'problem pressure' and 'high pressure' are typically different and separate while working up.
In reality, we're all working within our LOCAL max pressures, which are clear of problems.
So your max, regardless of any book values, can be lower or higher than mine.

SAAMI max is good standard, but truly not even a challenge for a well built system and modern cartridge design.
However, anyone hitting a problem below SAAMI max had better stop -until they've resolved it.
Like where you see cratering around the firing pin, even at a relatively low charge, don't continue on to rupture. Fix it first.
Figure out the cause of ejector marks before going further upward. Same with flattening primers or thinning or cracking cases.
You could have soft brass, bad sizing plan, gun build issue, fast powder lot, cleaning issue, and not one of them mean you actually have high pressure. Instead, if you've worked up, you've likely hit a problem pressure, until it's cause is corrected.

With any new build, new brass, different powder or bullet, I run a test I call 'MyMax'.
This is with new/culled brass that I discard afterwards. I setup a false shoulder to zero headspace and seat ~10thou off lands.
I've researched and run all the Quickload numbers and establish a charge workup.
At the range I work up, and soon I'll see a webline form on a case. That is a widest spot on a case at that point and I can see it by eye.
I measure it and watch as I continue to go up, always watching for 'problems' as I go.
Soon I'll see the webline plateau to stable. And with no problems I'll continue until I see a small step change (0.0002-0.0005").
I log that point as MyMax, and it has so far landed right on SAAMI max per QuickLoad. It's so consistent that I wonder really if SAAMI is doing the same test, along with actual pressure measure, to hang their hat on max as declared.

I personally set the condition as MyMax because it is the point where FL sizing is required (no way around it). It's not dangerous with no problems present, but I do not FL size cases -ever. Never. So later in development, I will always stay clear of MyMax.
I bring this testing up because I'm old as dirt and I've been do it for a long time, and I've seen my share of problems that were not actually from excess pressure. They were just problem pressures for ME, until I resolved their causes.

Given the wind conditions, that group is excellent. Looks like you've solved your pressure issues.

If it were me, I'd load 5 more to confirm velocity and 5 shot group size. If all still seems good - I would quit wasting components, load up 30-40, and go hunting.

Last edited:
that rifle likes those bullets ,

the Winchesters are holding up so much better ,

it sucks to have to move away from such a great ES , but i think it will still be very good those bullets near that seating

Last edited:
Given the wind conditions, that group is excellent. Looks like you've solved your pressure issues.

If it were me, I'd load 5 more to confirm velocity and 5 shot group size. If all still seems good - I would quit wasting components, load up 30-40, and go hunting.
I was real shocked I was able to put together group like that in those wind conditions.