Extra bullet carrying options

For fall down a mountain, drown in a river because you went through a hurricane, this works. There are smaller, less heavier options but don't know about more rugged...

300 RUM with 245 Bergers. Room for dope cards and cheat sheets as well as more cartridges than you will need.

5B284115-C4B4-4F4E-9F8D-2D21B1BBA1AF.jpeg
5156A0D6-330E-4366-BCC9-A6A7E68F3330.jpeg

Not sure if title is correct but how are you guys carrying extra rounds in the field? I was looking for a hard case of some sort to carry 4-6 rounds in. Running the longer bullets I w as concerned with just a soft case where pressure from anything in my pack could affect concentricity? Any ideas?
I use one of those socks that slide over your stock by Allen. It holds 6 or 7 rounds very securely. I mostly hunt from elevated stands so I don't know how robust they are when moving about. The rifle is a Sig 970shr and has a removable magazine so I keep a spare one in my backpack. I'm shooting 150gr in a .270win so to keep them 0.020 off the lands the rounds end up pretty long. Almost too long for the magazine. Never had a problem with any of them being pushed out of concentricity. My sling also has a spot for two rounds.

Last edited:

Being as the 2-rounders are attached via a velcro pad mounted to the rifle stock itself, can anyone attest to how durable the adhesive is when dealing with high heat extremes? I mean above 100° but likely less than 120° unless laying in the direct sunlight waiting for a shot at a rogue velociraptor chewing on a recently deceased Terydactle.
(Hey, it COULD happen and I want to be ready. LOL)
All kidding aside, it isn't uncommon to have heat running north of 110° in the summertime in Southern Arizona.
TIA

I
Not sure if title is correct but how are you guys carrying extra rounds in the field? I was looking for a hard case of some sort to carry 4-6 rounds in. Running the longer bullets I w as concerned with just a soft case where pressure from anything in my pack could affect concentricity? Any ideas?
I just use one of the cheap Allen rifle bullet holders that I put over my stock. Never really thought about the concentricity but I've never had any issues. Then I put my fired casings back in that. It holds like 10 rounds.

My simple 4 round carrier. Fits in front coat or shirt pocket or even pants pocket. If I run across one of these plastic holders , it's a bonus as I can make to two holders.

Attachments

• 20201207_204517.jpg
    20201207_204517.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 138
Frankford arsenal ammo vault.
If you are just looking for a hard case just for carry this is the one. It's not for 'one more' as it can be loud to open if you aren't particular about opening it. It is cushioned on the top to the protect the points and adjusts up and down so it 'clamps' down to hold from 1-20 rounds in place. No rattle, silent and sturdy.

I've got a wrap on my stock to hold a couple big for caliber bear rounds but this hold ALL my ammo for the trip in, around, and home again. It bounced out of the side by side at over 50km. No issue.

Cole-tac makes a wallet for them now that looks really nice.
I have a leather one I made myself a while back but if I need one for another caliber I will probably get the Cole-tac, my business with them has left me with a very favorable impression of them and they're made in USA.
Edit to add link:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.