Extending Your Comfortable Effective Range

The three most critical factors that effected my consistent hits when moving from 500 to +1000 were:
1) learning to read the wind. I always have a wind meter on me and observe/study the wind wherever I am. I do lots os 100 yard practice eith my 22LR
2) training my eye to focus on the crosshair only, before, during ,and after the shot; not the two dimensional plane of the crosshair against the target, or worse, the target only. This is easier said then done, particularly on an animal at long range when excited and you want to see the animal fall.
3) completely ingrained shooting form(hold, cheek weld,, bipod load, trigger, etc) in the various shooting positions. This should be practiced to the point where it is automatic.

An experienced spotter is the best thing an inexperienced shooter can have. Poor example (and I don't recommend it) but watch most LR hunting shows, with a good spotter all the shooter has to do is have the basic fundamentals down. :rolleyes:

I would recommend professional instruction as well, but ask almost any TV personality that shoots animals long range and they have never had any and they seem to be pretty good for themselves.:rolleyes:

406 has a good point, record data. Keep two books, one for range time and another for hunting. The difference is the hunting data book just needs pertinent info, not every previous round fired or old targets. It is adaptable.

Added: I'm just jealous of you tv pro's, I'm a hater.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. The next time I go shooting I will do some shooting from the sitting position. My rifles are both pretty heavy so until I have the funds for a dedicated hunting rifle I will probably not do any offhand shooting. I have been making it a point to do more dry-fire excersizes at home, especially with the weather we are having in Michigan right now putting a serious damper on my shooting. The last time I was out I took a first round cold bore shot at 850 and it landed 4" left of dead center on my 12" gong, telling me I overcompensated for wind, vertical was perfect. Made a windage adjustment and landed the next two in a 5" group, perfectly centered. My next day at the range I decided to step it back to 1060yd (first time shooting at steel at this distance) and struggled to land rounds on the same 12" plate, even after many adjustments. Not sure if it was a bad day, poor form/shooting position, or lack of experience, but I think I need to focus on solid first round, cold bore hits in the 600-800yd range before I start backing up. I'm going on my first western hunt this fall and want to be prepared to take some longer shots. I'm hoping to be competent at 600yds from prone position before I go, but I need a few windy days at the range to verify my DOPE. If it is extremely windy out there I will likely limit myself to 350yd or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.