extending the magazine for longer bullets

ILtoMT50

kind of a newbie question but ive read you need to make the stock magazine longer for shooting the bigger 338rum bullets...is this something that can be done by a do it yourselfer/is there kits for it or should it be done by a gunsmith and what would something like this cost? looking at getting a model 700 338rum and was wondering what all I need besides a muzzle break. thanks gang

Often times you'll need to do some receiver and/or bolt stop modifications so lining up a good gunsmith would be a good idea. That's also a good source of information as to the best options for your rifle.

Look at the Wyatt Outdoor website. They have magazines and instructions. You will still need a Gunsmith.

First thing to do is check if you even need an extended mag, you won't know till you seat a bullet to the lands and find out where that puts you. If you need more length Wyatts is the way to go and if your reasonably handy you can install one yourself just fine or you can take it to a smith.

It's going to depend the the length of the throat and the bullet you choose, a stubby ogive bullet will seat with a shorter over all length than a bullet of the same weight only with a long sleek nose.

Thanks, so not all the rifles need it. Would be nice to get that lucky lol

Don't get your hopes up. If you have a SAAMI chamber, a bullet with a nose longer than about .750" won't fit the magazine if touching the lands. Any heavy 338 bullet is probably going to be longer than that unless it has a flat nose.

I had a Rem 700 338 RUM. Glued in a single shot follower and never looked back. Shot lights out and second shots, which were never needed, could be done quickly with a little practice.

FWIW

would a guy have to do the same with a 300 win mag? been bidding on 338rum the last cpl weeks and from what ive read the 300win is efficient out to 1000yds with heavy bullets. the tikka t3 is lookin pretty good for the price and figure I could spend what I save comparing the two rifles to help with optics. thanks

Tikka mags aren't especially long (you can set them up as single shot though) so keep that in mind. One perk thought is if you build a short action caliber you can run a long action mag and tweek the bolt stop so you have tons of length available but that doesn't help out when building out a long action caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.