Extending temp. Range of sleeping bags

Toss a large chemical body warmer pack into the foot area of your bag about an hour before you climb into it. They last about 12 hours, feel great and weigh very little.
If it's still going when you get up, slap it on the small of your back and enjoy the heat.

Ron

Recently got my LL Bean -20 F. down sleeping bag. It has Down Tek DWR treated down to prevent buildup of moisture in the down. That was my main requirement for a -20 F. bag.

This bag has 750 fill power down sourced from both Europe and China and uses no "live-plucked" down.

Can't wait to get out to my mountains and try it.

Eric B.

Rocky,

Talking to REI folks is a crapshoot. Most have little cold weather experience and a few have a lot.

That said what REI people are saying is that wearing insulated clothing inside a sleeping bag often can compress the bag insulation, defeating the loft (thickness) and working against your attempt to get warmer.
BUT... this is only true for bags that are just barely large enough for you when you wear, say, long johns.

Len and Andy and I all have bags designed (in different ways) large enough to accommodate a puffy jacket and pants without compressing our bag's insulation. Thus we have more insulation around us.

It's kinda "The Law of Insulation" that thickness of insulation gives more warmth.

Eric B.

I did a quick check with REI and they recommend sleeping with light dry clothing. They warn against wearing too much clothing as it will inhibit the bag from doing its job. Staying dry and starting the night out dry seems to be one consensus that I can find. Along with a very good pad to insulate on the side that you laying on.

Other than that there is differing opinions on this subject.

Steve

Whomever you spoke to at REI is a moron, and the people with differing opinions don't know what they're talking about.

Every alpine climber in the world wears clothing inside their bag to increase warmth. Same for anyone who needs to go fast and light in cold conditions.

More insulation between you and the cold increases retained warmth.

Buy a bag that is cut large enough to allow you to comfortably wear your insulated clothing inside it. You will be warmer.

One overlooked factor to being warm is proper hydration. When people are cold they often hydrate less.

Hypothermia and dehydration « Vitalyte Hydration

When at high altitude in dry conditions, one may need to urinate more often. This can pose a problem if you have to crawl out of your warm sleeping cacoon to relieve yourself. If careful, you can use a bottle or ziplock bags without getting up.

man I would love to know how one uses a zip lock bag for that??? lol
I always carry a nalgene bottle with a skull and crossbones sticker on it for my **** bottle!

THIN SYNTHETIC QUILT OVER-BAG:

Another way to both extend your bag's temperature range and keep down bags from collecting moisture is to use a synthetic "quilt". A backpacking quilt has no hood and is usually open in part of the back side. Usually a sleeping pad goes inside a quilt.

This layering system lets your body's vapor moisture accumulate (condense) in the synthetic quilt where it can be removed from the bag and dried outsid.

Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD) has 3 thickness of synthetic quilts. I'll likely get a large thin quilt. Less weight and does the job. The MLD quilt is black to promote heating up when dried in the sun. Smart.

Eric B.

In response to Middle of nowhere's post on GOOKINAIDE drink used by park rangers.:

I hate Gookinaide flavors! My choice of a much better electrolyte drink is CYTOMAX powder mix. Available at REI.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.