Exposed windage turrets for hunting.

Ive had my atacr just rubbing on my pack turn
Same with my Vortex. Not sure how to be more careful with a rifle scope than putting a cover on it and securing it in a protected scabbard. Lol.
The locking turrets are a good solution, but the cheaper (and better IMO) solution is to just cap the windage turret. I don't know anyone who dials for wind in the field anyway. I can think of only two or three companies that offer capped windage with exposed elevation.

One of the main reasons I chose to buy a Trijicon Credo HX is it has a capped windage dial. I have no doubt I can keep track of the elevation turret with a solid zero set feature like the Credo has, but windage is another matter.

For the ABSOLUTE life of me I utterly fail to understand why the vast majority of scope companies that sell scopes with target style turrets specifically for a hunting application KNOWING they will be used by hunters do not design them ALL to be locking like Leupold's VX5 and VX6 line of scopes.

I mean for crying out loud if a hunter is willing to spend $1000-$1800 let alone more on a scope another $50-$100 to add locking scope dials is NOT gonna stop that same hunter from buying that scope, if anything if the same exact two scopes are offered and the one with locking target turrets for wind and elevation is another $100 I'd bet my favorite Tikka 99% of hunters would gladly pay it and pass on the cheaper scope with non-locking turrets.

It's issues like this that convince me that at least a portion of people who design scopes for hunters either do not hunt or when they do hunt it's under mostly controlled conditions like from box blinds and most definitely not back pack middle of no where hunts.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons I chose to buy a Trijicon Credo HX is it has a capped windage dial. I have no doubt I can keep track of the elevation turret with a solid zero set feature like the Credo has, but windage is another matter.

For the ABSOLUTE life of me I utterly fail to understand why the vast majority of scope companies that sell scopes with target style turrets specifically for a hunting application KNOWING they will be used by hunters do not design them ALL to be locking like Leupold's VX5 and VX6 line of scopes.

I mean for crying out loud if a hunter is willing to spend $1000-$1800 let alone more on a scope another $50-$100 to add locking scope dials is NOT gonna stop that same hunter from buying that scope, if anything if the same exact two scopes are offered and the one with locking target turrets for wind and elevation is another $100 I'd bet my favorite Tikka 99% of hunters would gladly pay it and pass on the cheaper scope with non-locking turrets.
Psh, not me if I can save $100 and now I'm getting a free tikka? I Guess I'll be throwing some tape around my scope. Want me to pm you my FFL's address?😂