Exposed windage turrets for hunting.

Obviously this thread is about exposed windage, elevation turrets but having both exposed (without caps) and scopes with tall turrets that do have screw on caps, they are just as user friendly. I don't think the exposed has any advantages over the capped turrets, especially if I have to dial for range. Removing the cap is occuring when I'm setting the rifle up for the shot. No time is ever lost in the process removing a turret cap. Couple of my Sightron's have the caps over the tall turrets and some of them do not. I do love my Leupold VX5HD CDS dials a bit more but mostly due to the low profile and auto locking(zero stop) feature.

Yes exposed turrets always seem to shift on me. May be the way it rubs my body or equipment as I hold it. I actually put a big yellow "0" on the flip up cap on on one of my scopes to remind me to check dope first.

As mentioned, part if the pre-flight checklist. Open bi-pod legs, throw rear bag down, emplace rifle, flip up caps, check zero/turrets, etc.....

tape on the turret and reminder in the cap-been on my scope for years...

32802D34-6FD8-4F06-B064-3C92014104BC.jpeg

Putting a reminder on your scope to check your turrets only works as long as the windage turret isn't rotated 180 degrees as has happened to me twice. At that point which way do you turn the windage turret to zero it? 50/50 chance that it's either back to zero or another 6MOA off.

Reminder is for elevation, and windage is taped 3/4 way around (and a US Optics custom windage with 5mils each way and a stop😉)

Putting a reminder on your scope to check your turrets only works as long as the windage turret isn't rotated 180 degrees as has happened to me twice. At that point which way do you turn the windage turret to zero it? 50/50 chance that it's either back to zero or another 6MOA off.
Zero stops on each one. Pretty easy fix

Or capped windage turrets, like the Viper HS LR scopes that I currently use.
That's the easiest fix. Apparently many don't like capped turrets. I use both methods. I have two Leupold Mark 4s that I made zero stops for both elevation and windage turrets. Really helps. Simple garden hose rubber washers did the trick.

This happened to my dad yesterday we were hunting axis and rams in maui.. he missed one 98 yards about 6 hours after killing a axis buck. Went to range on ranch turret spun about 240 degrees and he saw it put it to zero well it was now out 360. Another reason i like my revic locking turrets

Has anyone ever had an issue with an exposed windage turret on a hunting set up during a hunt? Like getting inadvertently spun off zero? The thought of one more thing to check all the time kind of bugs me. But March, Zeiss, Khales all offer their high end scopes with exposed, non locking windage turrets. I backpack hunt 90% of the time, rifle is either strapped to my pack or on my shoulder going through whatever terrain is in front of me for 5+ days at a time. Looking for experience from rough and rugged hunts. Thank you!
Never had that issue. I am more careful with my rifle than some, however.