Exposed windage turrets for hunting.

Huntnful

Has anyone ever had an issue with an exposed windage turret on a hunting set up during a hunt? Like getting inadvertently spun off zero? The thought of one more thing to check all the time kind of bugs me. But March, Zeiss, Khales all offer their high end scopes with exposed, non locking windage turrets. I backpack hunt 90% of the time, rifle is either strapped to my pack or on my shoulder going through whatever terrain is in front of me for 5+ days at a time. Looking for experience from rough and rugged hunts. Thank you!

I hunt with a March, and pack in to 10,000+ elevation in the high wyoming mountains for elk and deer every year, and never had an issue. However, my March turrets are low profile and pretty stiff, in a good way, not easily moved. My cousin uses a Vortex PST gen 1 with the tall type turrets that aren't quite as stiff, and his have moved a couple clicks a time or two, but never more than what you would be able to tell, so not like a half revolution or anything, so you just put them back to zero.

That being said.......a true bomb proof system is either the Leupold vx6hd system that has zero lock and won't let it spin round a full revolution so you can never get lost, or capped turrets.

I hunt with a March, and pack in to 10,000+ elevation in the high wyoming mountains for elk and deer every year, and never had an issue. However, my March turrets are low profile and pretty stiff, in a good way, not easily moved. My cousin uses a Vortex PST gen 1 with the tall type turrets that aren't quite as stiff, and his have moved a couple clicks a time or two, but never more than what you would be able to tell, so not like a half revolution or anything, so you just put them back to zero.

That being said.......a true bomb proof system is either the Leupold vx6hd system that has zero lock and won't let it spin round a full revolution so you can never get lost, or capped turrets.
I was really considering a March 2.5-25X52. But ended up going NX8 4-32 almost strictly because of the capped windage turret. It's a great scope, but I need another for a new rifle, so now I'm debating. I also had a VX6-HD and would have to agree that their system is one of the the best. Thanks for the insight! What do you think of your March?

Had it happen once. Best thing I can figure out is it happened when I pulled the rifle out of my truck when it was laying on the back seat. I assumed it spun the dial. Since then, I constantly check the turret for zero.

I was really considering a March 2.5-25X52. But ended up going NX8 4-32 almost strictly because of the capped windage turret. It's a great scope, but I need another for a new rifle, so now I'm debating. I also had a VX6-HD and would have to agree that their system is one of the the best. Thanks for the insight! What do you think of your March?
I love it, it is in fact the 2.5-25x52 with second focal plane MOA reticle, the closest thing to it I have used as far as quality is a vx6-hd, other than putting a few rounds through an NXS or a Mark 5HD, and I think the March is a much better overall optic. I'm not the best at judging glass, but I can see an improvement, and the overall features of the scope are just better. I have never had my windage or elevation turret move, the feeling is great, they are tight, and low profile, they don't catch on anything. My rifle rides in my mystery ranch pack for miles while hiking into camp, and it sets bedded into a DNZ one piece mount on a 9.5 lb braked .338 Norma, so pretty stout recoil as well, and has held up great.
20210601_164132.jpg
20200721_112454.jpg

I love it, it is in fact the 2.5-25x52 with second focal plane MOA reticle, the closest thing to it I have used as far as quality is a vx6-hd, other than putting a few rounds through an NXS or a Mark 5HD, and I think the March is a much better overall optic. I'm not the best at judging glass, but I can see an improvement, and the overall features of the scope are just better. I have never had my windage or elevation turret move, the feeling is great, they are tight, and low profile, they don't catch on anything. My rifle rides in my mystery ranch pack for miles while hiking into camp, and it sets bedded into a DNZ one piece mount on a 9.5 lb braked .338 Norma, so pretty stout recoil as well, and has held up great. View attachment 277613View attachment 277614
Sweet rifle! And that is some pretty good recoil for sure. Thank you for the insight! That'll probably be my next scope

I will 2nd all of Cody's remarks about the March and add that there is a coating on the March glass that cuts the glare when looking onto the sun that the Nightforce scopes don't have giving it another plus besides it compact size and low weight.
Years ago there was a guy here who made a turret cover from a PVC pipe cap and a runner band. He notched a radius in the cap to contour around the scope body and the rubber band went around the scope tube and over the cap, very simple solution for ~$1
I have had my ATACR elevation knob move but it is on my "preflight checklist" before sending anything. My Marches haven't moved but I use a neoprene cover on them.

Has anyone ever had an issue with an exposed windage turret on a hunting set up during a hunt? Like getting inadvertently spun off zero? The thought of one more thing to check all the time kind of bugs me. But March, Zeiss, Khales all offer their high end scopes with exposed, non locking windage turrets. I backpack hunt 90% of the time, rifle is either strapped to my pack or on my shoulder going through whatever terrain is in front of me for 5+ days at a time. Looking for experience from rough and rugged hunts. Thank you!
I have. Actually twice. I don't have any scopes with exposed windage turrets anymore. Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 and Vortex Razor LHT. Both are light and bright too.

I will 2nd all of Cody's remarks about the March and add that there is a coating on the March glass that cuts the glare when looking onto the sun that the Nightforce scopes don't have giving it another plus besides it compact size and low weight.
Years ago there was a guy here who made a turret cover from a PVC pipe cap and a runner band. He notched a radius in the cap to contour around the scope body and the rubber band went around the scope tube and over the cap, very simple solution for ~$1
I have had my ATACR elevation knob move but it is on my "preflight checklist" before sending anything. My Marches haven't moved but I use a neoprene cover on them.
A neoprene cover does seem like a very simple solution. Thank you!