Exposed windage turrets for hunting.

I can happen, does happen. I like my vx6 locking turrets or no windage turret. I don't dial wind usually.

Now, to help cure issues I always run a scope coat (neoprene covers) on my scopes and that has prevented issues with turrets getting spun off zero with non-locking turret scopes. I will likely always run a cover now. I have been doing so for years and love the protection it provides for an expensive piece of glass. I never have to worry about dirt, snow, dust, etc being on my lenses when a critical time pops up and my scope body is protected. Some of my scope coats cover the sides of the action and it helps keep the bolt area protected. Last, a rifle cover/sock. There are some really nice, semi water proof, covers that use. Combined with a scope coat, I have a clean protected rifle, and the design of the cover keeps crap out of my muzzle.

Now, to help cure issues I always run a scope coat (neoprene covers) on my scopes and that has prevented issues with turrets getting spun off zero with non-locking turret scopes.
Yeah I should of thought of that before. I've seen scope covers for rifles for decades to prevent damage and exposed knob zero change. Neoprene would be a quick cheap fix.. Thanks for the tip BrentM.

Yeah I should of thought of that before. I've seen scope covers for rifles for decades to prevent damage and exposed knob zero change. Neoprene would be a quick cheap fix.. Thanks for the tip BrentM.
Welcome. I love them. For my type of hunting it solved a lot of my issues. I carry my rifle inside a scabbard pack and hunt off horses, my feet, my dirt bike.... if something can be broke or screwed up I'll be the one to show you how. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all

Welcome. I love them. For my type of hunting it solved a lot of my issues. I carry my rifle inside a scabbard pack and hunt off horses, my feet, my dirt bike.... if something can be broke or screwed up I'll be the one to show you how. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
Time is a luxury for me now so I rushed swapping scopes and rezeroing last week. Long story short my PSS tipped over on the bench with my SWFA 10X and dinged the paralax knob. I haven't gotten lens covers yet and been testing the knob for turning while in a drag bag. Neoprene covers would of prevented the damage.

Time is a luxury for me now so I rushed swapping scopes and rezeroing last week. Long story short my PSS tipped over on the bench with my SWFA 10X and dinged the paralax knob. I haven't gotten lens covers yet and been testing the knob for turning while in a drag bag. Neoprene covers would of prevented the damage.
Meopta optica 6 series scopes in ffp have capped windage , zeros in the stop and zero lock elevation turrets European Glass not china made great optics and built like a tank

Meopta optica 6 series scopes in ffp have capped windage , zeros in the stop and zero lock elevation turrets European Glass not china made great optics and built like a tank
I almost bought one. Wish they had a FFP 44mm option. Seems like a great option if you want 50mm

Never had a windage turret move in many years of high country back pack hunts, but my only hunting scope with a windage turret has been my Nightforce NXS. I recently took that scope off my main hunting rig for another build and to cut some weight. After posting a thread here about the Nx8 vs March I decided to go with the March 2.5-25x52 moa and so far I'm loving it! I also run the scopecoat x6 on most all of my rifles. Cheers, Jason

My buddy missed a great mule deer in Wyoming a couple of years ago because his windage turret had been moved inadvertently. He shot 4 times at over 700 yards and we never did see where he was hitting. Because of his experience I have started buying scopes with locking elevation turrets and without windage turrets and getting reticles with windage built in. I have a couple of Zeiss V6 that I put electrical tape around the windage turret because it has the ZMOA reticle. Leupold makes a VX6 with a TMOA reticle that has windage in the reticle and no windage turret. This has become my primary hunting scope mainly for this reason.

My buddy missed a great mule deer in Wyoming a couple of years ago because his windage turret had been moved inadvertently. He shot 4 times at over 700 yards and we never did see where he was hitting. Because of his experience I have started buying scopes with locking elevation turrets and without windage turrets and getting reticles with windage built in. I have a couple of Zeiss V6 that I put electrical tape around the windage turret because it has the ZMOA reticle. Leupold makes a VX6 with a TMOA reticle that has windage in the reticle and no windage turret. This has become my primary hunting scope mainly for this reason.
My vx6 hd has windage turret with lock, same as the elevation. I don't dial wind though unless it is some odd circumstance. I prefer hash mark reticles and just hold. I did wind up with a windplex vx5 for my TC pistol project that is OK. The elevation turret locks, windage is covered, and the windplex has hash marks in moa.

Never had a windage turret move in many years of high country back pack hunts, but my only hunting scope with a windage turret has been my Nightforce NXS. I recently took that scope off my main hunting rig for another build and to cut some weight. After posting a thread here about the Nx8 vs March I decided to go with the March 2.5-25x52 moa and so far I'm loving it! I also run the scopecoat x6 on most all of my rifles. Cheers, Jason
My NXS got messed up a couple times going in and out of my saddle scabbard. Added a scope coat and the problem was fixed. Sold the scope once I went to the leupold vx6 with locking turrets. No regrets there.

So far the SWFA is the only exposed turret scope I own. I'm old so everything else I own has capped knobs. I'm not a fan of Murphy. Or Carl for that matter.

I do like the VX-6 HD locking turrets, I just recently mounted 2 of those scopes for good friends of mine and the glass quality was impressive. The turrets on the March I feel are the best I've tried yet. Solid, compact and would be hard to move. I could see where a scabbard on horse back would be the test of all tests. The scope coat covers I use are the XP-6 and they cover and protect very well. Happy shooting, Jason

So far the SWFA is the only exposed turret scope I own. I'm old so everything else I own has capped knobs. I'm not a fan of Murphy. Or Carl for that matter.
Ive got 2 Baushandlomb Balvar 8s no adj on scope at all windage and ele are in the base mount Buehler Micro dials no need for caps because there's no turrets but now its Meopta locked ele and capped windage