Exposed or capped turrets when hunting?

nphillips5

hey guys, new here, I have searched around for answers and pretty confused. I am looking at a Remington 700 awr in 300winmag for hunting in Alaska for bear, caribou and moose. I am really debating if I want exposed turrets like a nxs 5.5-22 or if I want a simple vx2/3 to add to the rifle. I would prefer relatively light weight (rifle is slightly over 7lbs), yet want to be able to accurately engage short distance-long distance depending on situation. What do you prefer on your everyday hunting rifle?

If your hunting in thicker terrain or will be packing the rifle quite a bit, such as elk hunting, I like the idea of the Leupold VX-6 or the new sig whiskey 5 with a button locking turret, so it can't go up or down without depressing the button, or just a capped turret. If you are going to shoot a long distance, you usually have time to take a cap off, in my experience.

However, if your not packing the rifle terribly far and not hunting in really brushy terrain, such as pronghorn hunting, I prefer exposed turrets with a zero stop.

I prefer an exposed elevation turret and a capped windage, but it doesn't matter much in my experience. I would rather have exposed turrets vs. capped, just for the ease and speed at which I can make a correction while long range hunting. However, in most situations if you are taking a shot at a distance that requires you to dial a significant correction, then you will have time to remove turret caps and dial it. IMO the must have is a locking/stop turret in case you get a full revolution off. It is really a matter of personal preference on capped vs exposed.

As long as it has a zero stop, I don't think it really matters as far as capped or exposed. If no zero stop, then capped is a must IMO.

I have rifles with both capped and exposed turrets, several of each.... and for hunting elk (northern Utah), I will ONLY use capped turrets. My experience is exposed turrets get twisted... and you never know when or how much they have been turned. My two cents....

Leupold VX5 hd. The best of both worlds. Exposed turret that you have to push the button to initiate turning. It also can be rotated more than 360 degrees. Custom CDS dials are free with the purchase too.

Tall capped turrets such as a sightron stac are another compromise. If you're needing to dial you probably will have time to do so as stated above and if not but still need to reach out just use the reticle

A lot of the bush I hunt in here in NZ is very thick but I have never had a problem with exposed turrets but they are all low profile type turrets. My rifles wear Meopta, Kahles, Nikon, March and Swarovski to name a few. My favorite scopes are the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44mm with the Ballistic Turrets. If you have to remove a turret cap to alter your scope on a hunt and then shoot at an animal it would not surprise me if you forget to replace the cap in all the excitement. Good luck with your hunt.

You can easily make a cap out of PVC and a little elastic, not pretty but does it's job if you are worried about turrets twisting in a pack, etc. Or one of the scope coat neoprene covers.

My vote also goes for the zero lock found on the VX5 and VX6 HD. Stupid simple and mine had proven to be very reliable. I just wish they made a zero lock for their 1" VX3 line. I like those scopes on lighter rigs and have been happy with the CDS on them but prefer something that locks.

I agree on the capped turrets for hunting, especially spot and stalk style. I do have a number of friends who use Custom Turrets dialed into their caliber specifics. In TX/OK/KS we routinely stand hunt over fields so it's not such a big issue. Dialing in ranges on landmarks and then knowing which aiming point to use for the correct holdover is first on the list.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.