exploding bullets on impact...is this real or are people guessing?

One is enough for me.

Or....read about enough failures from users! I prefer to learn from other's issues ....without having to experience it myself!

Judging from the apparent limits one must place upon the use of these type of bullets....it would be like having an expensive, high performance automobile that can "only" be used in perfect weather. Then, if it rains, you park it and catch an Uber back home! Thanks....but, I'd rather drive a "Nash Rambler"! :p memtb

I try to shoot long & heavy for caliber bullets now days if the gun allows. I believe there is less likely hood for blow up but no guarantees.

Or....read about enough failures from users! I prefer to learn from other's issues ....without having to experience it myself!

Judging from the apparent limits one must place upon the use of these type of bullets....it would be like having an expensive, high performance automobile that can "only" be used in perfect weather. Then, if it rains, you park it and catch an Uber back home! Thanks....but, I'd rather drive a "Nash Rambler"! :p memtb
I prefer Bonded bullets these days. The trick is to get one to shoot well enough for long range hunting. Often it is not an easy task. I really like the Nosler ablr's. but they can be very stubborn getting them to shoot well at long range. there is a reason Berger's are so popular. I guess I am just old and hard headed. Folks seem to have great luck with the heaviest ones and fast twist. I suspect the lower starting velocity doesn't hurt here for a cup and core bullet with a very high sectional density.

As long as it fits your narrative right! Many, many guys have had a Barnes fail but you don't count I bet since learning from other failures, even one time, would mean there likely would not be a bullet available to hunt with without some odds of an issue!

As long as it fits your narrative right! Many, many guys have had a Barnes fail but you don't count I bet since learning from other failures, even one time, would mean there likely would not be a bullet available to hunt with without some odds of an issue!
I only load Barnes in one rifle. I didn't/don't set out with intent to shoot that bullet. I would suggest barnes in small calibers for low recoil youth shooters that's not going to shoot very far. The wind drift of the 80gr Barnes in my 25-06 is horrendous. The rifle is my son's first hunting rifle so we didn't get rid of it. I wouldn't set out basing a long range rifle on a Barnes, that's just my personal preference for reasons I dont care to debate with someone who loves Barnes bullets. They have their purpose, long range is not a purpose that I use them for. I'm sure there are other folks who see it differently, not a problem with me if they are successful with them.

I prefer Bonded bullets these days. The trick is to get one to shoot well enough for long range hunting. Often it is not an easy task. I really like the Nosler ablr's. but they can be very stubborn getting them to shoot well at long range. there is a reason Berger's are so popular. I guess I am just old and hard headed. Folks seem to have great luck with the heaviest ones and fast twist. I suspect the lower starting velocity doesn't hurt here for a cup and core bullet with a very high sectional density.
What do you think about the cutting edge bullits?? Being solid copper they should not explode.But any thing is possible.I am useing the mth 225 and the 252 and they are very accurate in my 338 edge.

I have read many threads over the years about bullets blowing up on impact and not being a lethal hit with game such as a deer. My questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone ever witnessed a bullet actually blow up on impact with a deer, and not kill the deer? and what I mean by this is you were able to get a second shot on the deer and actually see the first shot in autopsy to confirm and not guess what happened.

2. If your answer to 1 is YES, I just do not get the physics of this so maybe someone can explain it to me. I just don't understand how a 140+ grain object going 2800+FPS can explode, even on bone, and the fragments do not still penetrate to the vitals.

I have used ballistic tips in the past in excess of 3000fps and while they definitely "blew up" inside the deer, they still took the deer out no problem. Ive yet to have one blow up on a shoulder and not had fragments penetrate to lungs and heart.
I've been told that bullets will have more mushrooming effect with more barrel twist. Also, have heard of instances where bullets came apart in mid air. Coming apart in mid air wouldn't necessarily be an issue with the bullet itself but would reflect the frangability of the particular bullet and it being matched up with a barrel of too much twist or other issues where higher velocities contribute to the problem.

What do you think about the cutting edge bullits?? Being solid copper they should not explode.But any thing is possible.I am useing the mth 225 and the 252 and they are very accurate in my 338 edge.
I have not shot either of those. I do know they should
hold together in most cases. This type of bullet in general doesn't blood shot as much meat as a regular cup and core unless you hit heavy bone at close range. Then the shattered bone becomes secondary projectiles and can cause quite the mess. My first guess is I wouldn't want to be shot with either of those out of an edge. Going up to a .338 gives you some cushion that the smaller calibers just don't have. My guess is the 252's would penetrate nearly as well as a cup and core 300, but that is only a guess. I highly suspect it is enough gun for anything in N America that gets on the wrong end of it. If it is not, run like crazy the other way. You have just PO'd one bad animal.

I only load Barnes in one rifle. I didn't/don't set out with intent to shoot that bullet. I would suggest barnes in small calibers for low recoil youth shooters that's not going to shoot very far. The wind drift of the 80gr Barnes in my 25-06 is horrendous. The rifle is my son's first hunting rifle so we didn't get rid of it. I wouldn't set out basing a long range rifle on a Barnes, that's just my personal preference for reasons I dont care to debate with someone who loves Barnes bullets. They have their purpose, long range is not a purpose that I use them for. I'm sure there are other folks who see it differently, not a problem with me if they are successful with them.

I still load them for certain things and recommend them for a lot of things but having been a solid fan boy of them for years I had to let go and look at the facts and use them where they are best just like any other bullet!!

Mono's can work great at close ranges when hitting bone. I've seen them pencil though at close ranges when bone hasn't been hit. Slow kills with deer running couple hundred yards or more

I've had a few Barnes pencil on elk through the ribs, recovered the elk and only a small hole an bruise on the lungs, my brother had one take 45 minutes to finally drop. That's why I started putting them on shoulders but then until your up in the 338+ cal you simply wont get all them through.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts