exploding bullets on impact...is this real or are people guessing?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Nov 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. keithcandler

keithcandler Well-Known Member

That was not a splash, you just hit low.

Keith

nicholasjohn likes this.
  2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

1 of 2 coyote.jpg
    2 of 2 coyote.jpg

Taken at 525 yards with 175 Matrix VLD (2993 FPS MV) out of my .270 AI.

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

A 110 Barnes TTSX from a 270 WSM will cut a coyote in half, I've never had one twitch after being hit with one regardless of where the hit was, I hit one running through the back end and it rolled up into a dead pile like I hit it though the shoulders, back end was totaled, not a fur bullet!!

HARPERC likes this.
  4. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

Shot him up hill and turning away the bullet would've come out a little higher on the other side and it did not. Here's a picture of the other side
    20181014_091412.jpg

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

These are 300gr FMJ solids I shot into a Cape Buffalo at 25 yards a few decades ago with my 375H&H. The bullet on the right hit a rib on entry leaving nothing but a cracked rib, a small piece of casing, and *Rule 4 Violation*ed off critter. The second bullet made its way into the vitals.......a couple of treacherous hours later. That first shot had but a few pieces of lead and jacket barely into one lung.....but enough to track and finish him.
    7FC3E3F9-E007-4D4F-8CEF-FA14D3C788D6.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    memtb and Mustang72 like this.
  6. mnoland30

mnoland30 Well-Known Member

I once shot a javelina with my 10" contender 7mm TCU. The bullet was intended for deer, and at 1800 fps, it did not expand. I learned that you have to match the bullet with the velocity. I switched to Speer 115 gr. hollowpoints, and it drops them in their tracks. With my .270, I never had a bullet failure on deer. When I got a 7mm RM, and started hunting elk, I had to go to premium bullets. Most bullets are designed for deer, because that is what most people hunt. Heavy for caliber bullets work better for larger animals, and almost guarantee an exit wound.

memtb likes this.
  7. Coyote_Hunter

Coyote_Hunter Well-Known Member

My first big game animal was a bull elk in the mid '80's. Based on a recommendation from my elk-hunting mentor (not a very successful hunter), I used a 7mm RM with a 162g Hornady InterLock. Didn't have a chrono back then but book data indicated around 3000fps MV.

Shot a bull elk at about 100 yards. The bullet hit a rib dead center, cratering the back side, then passed through the elk, missing or barely nicking a rib on the far side and coming to rest under the hide. Retained bullet weight was under 48%.

There was no 'splash', but I wasn't happy with the results, either. Yup, the elk died. But there was no exit, which felt was due to low weight retention. And I felt the bullet should have retained more weight given that only one bone was hit.

The next year I switched to Speer Grand Slams and it took 20 years to recover one - all the others were pass-throughs. The one I recovered destroyed both shoulder joints on a nice 5x6 bull, coming to rest peeking out of the joint on the far side. Retained weight was over 70%.

Since then I used Grand Slams for the next 20 years or so. In 2015 I used one again and recovered it from another 5x6 bull ten at 411 yards, 4 steps and down. These days I tend to use tipped Barnes, Nosler AccuBond, Swift A-Frame, Swift Scirocco II and North Fork in my bolt guns and reserve the standard cup-and-core for my handguns and leverguns. I don't see any need to change.

nicholasjohn and memtb like this.