exploding bullets on impact...is this real or are people guessing?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Nov 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jbo829

jbo829 Well-Known Member

0C89C79C-C648-4EB9-8854-5CECF1BB63BE.jpeg This doe was shot with a 139gr sst out of a 280 rem clipped the shoulder and never made it past that the shot was 35 yards away

2. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

Too much velocity @ impact. This is the best deer bullet I've ever shot in the 7-08. Also a great bullet to 500 in the smaller 7 Mags. Ribs only up close though.

3. jbo829

jbo829 Well-Known Member

Only one that’s behaved that way other shots are further and better results but I have switched bullets

4. DSheetz

DSheetz Well-Known Member

So then what we are learning from this thread is that bullets have parameters that they work the best in and that the manufacture of them have studied them and designed them for certain uses and that at close range combined with high velocities a lot of otherwise good performing bullets might not give us the desired performance and or results we are looking for?

Orange Dust and bigngreen like this.
  5. Orange Dust

YUP!

6. dreamhunt

dreamhunt Well-Known Member

I have seen several versions of this. A 22 Short or 22 hi-power blank is inserted into a bullet drilled to accept it. The idea was to have a round explode inside an animal, killing it instantly. Only problem is it doen't work. It works when you shoot against a rock or something hard, but animals aren't hard enough to set the round off. There were also some with a steel bearing in the nose of a HP filled with fulminate, but I don't want to be the one firing the gun.

7. robert l

robert l Well-Known Member

That looks like a massive exit wound.

8. dreamhunt

dreamhunt Well-Known Member

I to have made exploding arrows but differently,
    Aluminum Arrow
    A 6 inch piece of carbon arrow that will slide into the aluminum one
    glue some aluminum foil in one end of the carbon arrow piece, then fill with black powder top with shotgun primer and tape a bb onto the primer and fire away.

3warbird likes this.
  9. jbo829

jbo829 Well-Known Member

Seems like it but it had no penetration I shot 4 deer with that bullet and all where good then I switch to a bonded bullet I have about 800 162gr amax bullets to load after I return from Mexico to see what they will do next hunting season since I’ll be here for this years season hunting and on vacation

10. hunter0528

hunter0528 Well-Known Member

I had (still have) a 220 swift and while at the range 1 day I hit a piece of the poly string used to hold the targets. The target was only about 1 foot behind. Well nothing penetrated the target but it was covered with lead splatter.

memtb likes this.
  11. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

Be careful with the Amax at magnum velocities, its a very soft match bullet.

12. djfergus

djfergus Well-Known Member

My son had a 100 grain ballistic tip from a 25-06 hit a whitetail in the shoulder @250 yds. Muzzle velocity of aprx. 3200fps. Didn't know it was hit in the shoulder at first. Laid there stone cold for about ten minutes. Walking upon it and it looked grave yard dead then took off like lightning on three legs. It must have been in shock. Barnes 80 ttsx was the remedy for that rifle & possible shoulder shots but I can tell you that there's alot of wind drift to account for with the old 25-06 in most 25 cal bullets.

memtb likes this.
  13. Orange Dust

Here is another Ballistic Tip story for you all. When they first came out, I quickly learned some do's and don'ts, and created some fearsome holes in the process. One of the ones that did work was the 150 in a 7MM Weatherby. Killed a lot of game near and far, and that combo was very dependable. Shot that load out west and in Canada. Always worked until one cold, rainy morning. Target was a big 10pt buck with a rut swolen neck. Range was about 150, in a downpour and right at freezing. I shot the buck in the side of the neck about 6" below his ear. At the shot there was a lot of spray when it hit and the buck crumpled. I eased over to him and he was still alive. He got back up when he saw me, and I had to shoot him again quickly in the ribs. The bullet blew up and did not penetrate, or even break his neck, and the shot was perfect. I shot over 100 animals with that combination and that one was the only one that ever failed me, and it was the only one I can remember having to shoot again. The lesson here is no matter how much confidence you have in a load there are circumstances that can cause it to fail. If it had been the first animal I had shot with it we all know the conclusion I would have drawn. You cannot really make up your mind if you are using the right bullet or not until you have shot several animals with it. You need that history to make any sound judgement.

Bravo 4 likes this.
  14. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

One is enough for me.

memtb likes this.