Explain This Please

There is no need for that kind of profanity this time of the morning
No doubt. Coffee kettle hasn't even sung yet.
Fellas, I pulled that video into adobe premiere and did a frame-by-frame...

The bullet hit where he said it hit. Just above the white... and just a little too far back. I can plainly see the trace blur the fur and the trace stops right where he said it impacted. I have a $2,000 monitor, and a $6,000 computer... and have been editing video for quite a lot of years. I've used every editing tool in my arsenal... and I'm quite sure the bullet hit where he said it hit. The flying fur didn't come from the top of the animal. In the frame by frame, you can see some shock ripple through the critter.

The fur you see is white, and pops out the opposite side several frames AFTER the trace disappears into the bulk of the animal. In my opinion, the OP is totally justified in posting this video, as it was a "center mass" shot... but he just needed a little help understanding where pronghorn carry their vitals. They are much less like a deer, and much more like african game, that carry their vitals low and forward. In my opinion, if that round had been about 5" forward, that animal would have bled out quickly. If it would have been about 10-12" forward and a bit lower, it would have dropped like a stone where it stood. He just got a bit unlucky, and from the sounds of it, needs to work on shifting his desired POA forward to buy himself some more forgiveness.

I really don't like how some of the community have brow-beat the guy on the opinion on bullet impact. Posts like some I've seen just stops men from wanting to post anything at all. It's unnecessary.

Everyone reading this thread could learn a little bit if they entered into the correct mindset rather than jumping to judgement. I would ask for a little bit of empathy for the OP. It's tough to have this happen, and I think its great that he cares enough about it to try to get to the bottom of it and get some help.

The only other thing is that you need to work on finding bigger pronghorn @bozoben! That was just a little guy! ;) :p

-----------

I agree about "not browbeating" the OP but he did ask for, "explain this please", opinions of what we think happened. I still firmly believe in my posted opinion and if my post came across as browbeating because of my firm belief than I am sorry for that. That's the problem sometimes when asking for opinions, I believe I am right and you believe you are right and so goes the saying, "you know what they say about opinions, everybody's got one, just like ********" In this case many of us have a different one and it becomes somewhat argumentative when you are passionate about yours. I saw some comments that I felt were browbeating for sure but this happens all the time in this type of discussion. Anyways…. Have a great day all as the coffee kettle is finally singing my song.

Last edited:
Fellas, I pulled that video into adobe premiere and did a frame-by-frame...

The bullet hit where he said it hit. Just above the white... and just a little too far back. I can plainly see the trace blur the fur and the trace stops right where he said it impacted. I have a $2,000 monitor, and a $6,000 computer... and have been editing video for quite a lot of years. I've used every editing tool in my arsenal... and I'm quite sure the bullet hit where he said it hit. The flying fur didn't come from the top of the animal. In the frame by frame, you can see some shock ripple through the critter.

The fur you see is white, and pops out the opposite side several frames AFTER the trace disappears into the bulk of the animal. In my opinion, the OP is totally justified in posting this video, as it was a "center mass" shot... but he just needed a little help understanding where pronghorn carry their vitals. They are much less like a deer, and much more like african game, that carry their vitals low and forward. In my opinion, if that round had been about 5" forward, that animal would have bled out quickly. If it would have been about 10-12" forward and a bit lower, it would have dropped like a stone where it stood. He just got a bit unlucky, and from the sounds of it, needs to work on shifting his desired POA forward to buy himself some more forgiveness.

I really don't like how some of the community have brow-beat the guy on the opinion on bullet impact. Posts like some I've seen just stops men from wanting to post anything at all. It's unnecessary.

Everyone reading this thread could learn a little bit if they entered into the correct mindset rather than jumping to judgement. I would ask for a little bit of empathy for the OP. It's tough to have this happen, and I think its great that he cares enough about it to try to get to the bottom of it and get some help.

The only other thing is that you need to work on finding bigger pronghorn @bozoben! That was just a little guy! ;) :p

-----------

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

On a side note, I'm not offended by any of the comments. I got what I asked for, which was opinions.

Lots of info here. I know guys that work at Proof,one had a 338NM built at exact same time as I.Over ten years ago.He didnt have issues with the berger 300 on goats until the 1200 yrd .Not opening as much as he thought.

I stabilized your video and watched it with the Emulsio app and agree with your impact.

I actually did this same thing on a coues buck at 800 yards. My wife was able to walk me in on him for the 200 yard kill shot. After I cut him open, I found that I had threaded the needle through no-man's land and did not hit a bone or vitals. Clean pass through with a 180 VLD out of a 28 Nosler.

My best guess is no man's land, but if it were a whitetail, the only big game animal i can reference, you would have hit right on the liver/lung line, a little high. My guess is a liver hit, but more of a nick than a solid impact . Maybe clipped a lung too. My guess is a somewhat slow death from infection . Hit is too high and not solidly in any vital to leave good blood. It happens.

Similar thing happened to my son and I. He was hunting with a 50 caliber muzzleloader with a 395 grain sabot and shot this doe. The entry was in the almost identical spot as yours. A few days later my friend showed me his trail camera pics from not far from where he shot her. This is the exit side.

Attachments

• FC11C2E7-18F8-47DA-BA74-14E514C41E06.jpeg
    FC11C2E7-18F8-47DA-BA74-14E514C41E06.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 97
14C23FDD-A354-4EFA-A7D7-A003A8F67B2D.png
Here's another example of a no man's land hit....this one with an arrow. This buck showed on my trail cam in Iowa. He had to come a long ways or gotten shot by a poacher.....he's smack dab in the dead center of over 12k acres thats owned and managed by two main landowners, who have over 5k each. My little slice of heaven sits in the middle of it all. They would not have shot this buck and confirmed they didn't.
It had to have happened not long before the pic, as I imagine that arrow would get knocked out pretty easily.

Are we now saying that the bullet he used is a heavy tough bullet? Im confused,most threads on the Berger are that it is too frangible,and damaging at closer ranges and more suitable for LR.You think a mono metal is going to perfom better,same shot placement? I think not.Ive shot a pile of goats with my 338 with a 300,with many over 500 yrds and past 800.