Explain This Please

The Berger bullet did not expand, passed straight through, poor shot area 'but' with a 300 grain bullet it should have done some damage. This is a problem with Berger's (not looking for an argument) Four years ago my son put me on a bull elk, 300 yds. shot 5 times in the bread basket the elk did not move more than a few feet. My son a former Marine Sniper Scout (he knows his business) watched the shots hit. After a neck shot brought him down we found all five shots but no major damage in the vitals just pass through's. Went back with a metal detector found a small amount of copper on the exit side just below the hide. No bullet stayed in the innards no real damage.
I would check the loads to make sure they had enough energy to expand (I assume you have). For the future shoot at some water bottles/ballistic gels at approximant same distance and see what you get on expansive results.

Just under spine, above vitals, a touch behind the lungs. Had a buddy kill a whitetail that he had hit similarly in that same spot one week before. Pencil hole through him there for a week and was none the worst for wear a week later at his demise. You could slide a pencil through the entrance to exit, no bones broken, missed arteries, vitals and not enough resistance to impart shock. Happens.

I hit and elk in about the same location. he was walking. I knew I hit the elk, but I didn't quite give him enough lead. It impress me what each step the elks over a deer for one. He was in herd of elk of about 50. The shot was only about 150 to 200 yds away. I had to work on not hitting another elk behind him at the same time. The bullet passed between the end of the ribs, and did hit anything else It missed anything that was vital. Couldn't believe it. Missed the lung and diaphragm, no liver or guts. Didn't hardly bleed from that location. If the animal was hit in the liver, it would have it ran a short distance, drop it's head to the ground and backed up laboring in a jerking motion. It will drop in a few seconds or so.
Judging by the location shown I think, you did what I had done. The shot was to far back missing the vitals. Whether the animal lives, I don't think so. I also feel the bullet didn't open up.

Again, I'm not here to argue, but I'm not blowing smoke. If you could slow down and watch the video zoomed in like I have 100 times you would see that the hair your seeing flew up from where the bullet exited the far side of the animal. You can see the bullet impact the hide and you can see the shock wave ripple outwards from that point.
Try to zoom in if you can and watch it frame by frame, it will be more clear.
I did all that and I'm not seeing what you are. I see a Antelope duck down after being hit on the very top of the back. I had the same exact thing happen on a Coues buck at 780 yards. Almost identical and I was able to find him the next day, he was fine and i shot him at 80 yards. The first shot the bullet skimmed the very top of his back and created about a 3" wound that dribbled blood on both sides of his body. We can all believe what we want and we can agree to disagree. Good luck on your Cow hunt. I'm definitely not hear to argue but just give my opinion of what the video showed me zoomed in and run on a separate program on my PC. Cheers

The video posted shows a high grazing shot. He even jumps the string a little whereas a gut shot would make him hump up. It could bleed down his back and then appear midway down his side where the break of his belly is. I think he's fine. With all the coyotes in that country if it were me I would have never left and just snuck in and killed him that day. Then we could be analyzing the actual impact of the first shot rather than surmising or seeing what we want to see. The dress is gold. No the dress is blue. Carry on. Keep practicing. Study those wind calls more critically. And lastly not saying this is you but respect the game. People treat antelope like digger squirrels it seems. That's a 10" vital area you need to be able to hit 9 out of 10 times at 800 yds or don't take that shot. These animals aren't disposable. Just cause they're small and seem like a field goat doesn't make them expendable. They live where the wind blows so cut the distance. Spin drift 6 to 8 inches. 1 mph wind another 3 inches. That's a miss. Ok rant over I think that buck is fine and only needs a band aid.

Impossible because the hillside that appears to be directly behind him is over 1k yards behind him.
I see it hit the ridge behind as well which if he was hit on the very top of the back is completely possible as the bullet would have deflected and the trajectory would have changed, more than likely upward. Also the trace of the bullet aligns to the top of the back.

Last edited:
And I forgot, a 300 ultra 300gr bullet for antelope? Perhaps where you went wrong was you were wayyy overgunned?😊
What 👆said! a .338 300gr bullet on an animal that size and bad hit adds up to a Pencil Through. Too much gun for the task at hand. There comes a time certain tools are not the best for the job and if you are going to use them you need to do everything you can to make it work, a bullet that size you should be taking shoulder shots to make sure the bullet has a chance to expand. Granted a bullet that size on a shoulder of an animal that size isn't the best senecio from preservation of meat but either is a injured and lost animal. Better tools for the job. But in all honesty after slowing the video down it defiantly looks like you grazed the top of the back.

Last edited:
What 👆said! a .338 300gr bullet on an animal that size and bad hit adds up to a Pencil Through. Too much gun for the task at hand. there comes a time certain tools are not the best for the job and you are going to use them you need to do everything you can to make it work, a bullet that size you should be taking shoulder shots to surety bullet has a chance to expand. Granted a bullet that size on a shoulder of an animal that size isn't the best senecio from preservation of meat but either is a injured and lost animal. Better tools for the job.

Shot looked high to me also. If anything just under spine, dead mans land as was stated earlier. I lost a decent buck 3 years ago whit a similar hit. Buckets of blood, 100 yards trail
Stopped, no deer anywhere. Searched with my shepherd and 2 game wardens that came out to help the next day. Never found him. Unless an booger carried him off, it was a through and through meat pass, no vitals. Then again I am in Texas..😲

Some of these threads crack me up,800 to far for a antelope BS.This LR I shot many goats well past 500 and with 300 OTM.For wind purposes.I try and lung them.My son more just nail em kind of guy,this was in the 800 range and we had a lazer go dead,during,300 otm Side note ,friend of mine had his goat on NForce site for years,picture, 1000+ yrds.HE and his circle all shot goats at that range.

Attachments

• Norma hole.jpg
    Norma hole.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I've paused the video at the very moment of impact several times and took this screen shot. This hair that came off is at the very top of the goat, and I believe that your bullet came in so high that it actually grazed him at the pinnacle or just on the other side and went down. That's why you had a blood trail. If you would have hit him on the near side, the bullet at that angle would have probably been a high angled gut shot and he would have piled up somewhere by the next morning. Goats have fairly thick skin at the top. I spine shot one at 436 yards last year (Cal 308 with 168 Berger classic hunter) and he dropped like a stone! This shot simply grazed him at the top and down the far side, IMO. Lastly, watching the video I noted that the goat dropped at the time of impact. That's important, because when a animal is hit low or in the gut area they will typically kick. Especially when hit in the heart or low lung. I watched a buddy shoot a buck the other day. He hit a few inches back and just below the lungs. The deer kicked. Your goat dropped like he was jumping the string or, got slapped on the back.

Attachments

• goat.png
    goat.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I've paused the video at the very moment of impact several times and took this screen shot. This hair that came off is at the very top of the goat, and I believe that your bullet came in so high that it actually grazed him at the pinnacle or just on the other side and went down. That's why you had a blood trail. If you would have hit him on the near side, the bullet at that angle would have probably been a high angled gut shot and he would have piled up somewhere by the next morning. Goats have fairly thick skin at the top. I spine shot one at 436 yards last year and he dropped like a stone! This shot simply grazed him at the top and down the far side, IMO.
Yep said that from the beginning posts.
Could have just touched the back of the goat or:
That bullet mass traveling at the velocity could actually 'Suck" the hair and skin off when it passed. The bullet didn't need to hit as long as it was close enough. I saw a vide of a person shooting a 50BMG culling does. He shot and completely missed the does head, but the bullet mass+ velocity created a vacuum and "Sucked" the eyeballs out of the does head as it passed.

Last edited:
Some of these threads crack me up,800 to far for a antelope BS.This LR I shot many goats well past 500 and with 300 OTM.For wind purposes.I try and lung them.My son more just nail em kind of guy,this was in the 800 range and we had a lazer go dead,during,300 otm Side note ,friend of mine had his goat on NForce site for years,picture, 1000+ yrds.HE and his circle all shot goats at that range.
Looks like he's hit far back in no man's land but he's dead so good on you. Proud of you. Wish we could all be as good as you. 👍

Recent Posts