Explain the need for a 28 Nosler

My father and I built 3 LRMs before the 28 was on the books. One for him one for me and one for my son. They all shoot 1/2 MOA fairly easily with moderate reloading effort. GW hit their target of a 180 VLD at 3000-3100fps with it for sure. It's biggest weakness is the single source for case and lack of factory rounds.
I didn't have to do much workups to find a 1/2 MOA load. And while I consider my load of 74.3 acceptable, I believe i could do better.
The rifle is good for 1500 IMO. I just have to drive a two hours to get to a place where I can shoot that, and with work & travel, that has been difficult.
With the 300 PRC, making your own cases just got a whole lot easier. Takes out four steps from the process of converting 375 Ruger. That is, as long as you can move the shoulder the proper length before resizing the neck. If you don't do it right, you will fold the brass, making trash.

Attachments

• Case_Comparision.png
    Case_Comparision.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 133
I didn't have to do much workups to find a 1/2 MOA load. And while I consider my load of 74.3 acceptable, I believe i could do better.
The rifle is good for 1500 IMO. I just have to drive a two hours to get to a place where I can shoot that, and with work & travel, that has been difficult.
With the 300 PRC, making your own cases just got a whole lot easier. Takes out four steps from the process of converting 375 Ruger. That is, as long as you can move the shoulder the proper length before resizing the neck. If you don't do it right, you will fold the brass, making trash.
I think I'd rather just convert over to a 300 PRC. Moving a shoulder .117ish is a lot. I have considered the 300 PRC as a path eventually, but the 28 Nos would fit my mag set up better even with the longer bullets. I only have about 3.7ish in mag length. I think the factory 300 PRCs would fit barely. There are always trade offs. I'm also considering buying enough LRM cases to get us through the rough barrel life. I find even with annealing I usually start loosing a lot of primer pockets around the 5th-6th use.

I live down the road from Nosler, 50 miles, and I asked one of their associates about the 28 N, and, he summarized it as maybe the best of both worlds, when it comes to accuracy and energy. 7.2 mm 175 grain accubonds going plenty fast, in Nosler mountain carbine...they thru Mr Nosler, are all about taking game and not just punching holes in paper.
p.s. I think I want a 27 Nosler, but, won't get there unless I hit the lottery. But, I bet I load their .277 165 long rangers in my 270.

The 7mm Magnums seem to do a respectable job as indicated by the many posters here who have had great success with it. The 28 Nosler does somewhat better, however. If one wants to step up to the 28 from one of the 7mms, then why not step up even higher.

The 7mm Magnums seem to do a respectable job as indicated by the many posters here who have had great success with it. The 28 Nosler does somewhat better, however. If one wants to step up to the 28 from one of the 7mms, then why not step up even higher.
If you are meaning step up in caliber then no. We / I am a huge fan of the 7mm and we are talking about 7mms of different flavors.

I'm getting 3030 fps with the 195 EOL and 3060 with the 180 ELDM using our Ozzie equivalent of H50BMG (90gr) out of a 24" rock creek.

This is my 2nd and am about to build a 3rd as I feel it's a great all rounder with excellent performance.
Can get Facotry ammo easily
Easy to get brass and pills.

it's a no brainer if you want a big boy 7mm imo

It's a wildcat of sorts but check out the 7 Sherman Short... it fits well in a true short action with 2.95" mag space. I'm getting 3040 fps with a 26" bartlein and the Berger 180 VLD. Less powder than the others also (62.3 grains RL26).

Food for thought. So many choices, anymore it comes down to action & mag length, and brass quality / availability for me.

I think that will depend on your freebore, I have read Ryan Pierce reamer seem to clock the 195 at 3100+ without pressure using N570 and RL33. In my 28 I can reach 3040 on the safe side with RL33, I could never find N570 available to try. I think your barrel will be toast faster at those high speeds, but for hunting, probably last a long while.
Remember to talk to your smith about twist in a 28 for heavies like 195 gr. I have 7 dakota, 7 rem, 7 wsm, 7 rum. 7 stw and 28 nosler. My stw is in a beautiful blaser full stock and i chose it for the fastest twist in a blaser 7mm barrel. Still not enough for 195's at 1 in 9". Benchmark built my 28 and i believe it is 1 in 7,5 or 8. Shoots 195 bergers into ,25 moa at almost 3100. . Absolutely love it. Its my fave 7mm, but love them all. Took me a long time to come round to reslize the amazing 7 mm! My 28 nos will be my gun for the 195 wt class! Used it in africa on a beautiful roan, a elk size antelope and a bushpig. Perfect performance!

I've built and tinkered with 7-338 Lapua down and the 28 is where my top end is, it's easy to tune and I've shot the smallest groups to a mile with it out of any of the bigger end of things. The 7 PRC will be perfection!!

Remember to talk to your smith about twist in a 28 for heavies like 195 gr. I have 7 dakota, 7 rem, 7 wsm, 7 rum. 7 stw and 28 nosler. My stw is in a beautiful blaser full stock and i chose it for the fastest twist in a blaser 7mm barrel. Still not enough for 195's at 1 in 9". Benchmark built my 28 and i believe it is 1 in 7,5 or 8. Shoots 195 bergers into ,25 moa at almost 3100. . Absolutely love it. Its my fave 7mm, but love them all. Took me a long time to come round to reslize the amazing 7 mm! My 28 nos will be my gun for the 195 wt class! Used it in africa on a beautiful roan, a elk size antelope and a bushpig. Perfect performance!
My 28 was built for the 195gr Berger and at that time, Berger had them stabilize with an 8 twist, now they show a 9 twist. I don't think my Smith built enough freebore into it, after over 300 down the tube, the throat erosion is getting to the point of the freebore for the 195s. 🤣

If you are meaning step up in caliber then no. We / I am a huge fan of the 7mm and we are talking about 7mms of different flavors.
I, too, am and have been a huge fan of the 7mm mag. and have had 2 over the years. What my point is that if you're not satisfied with it and think you need more, don't stop at the 28. Go bigger than it, then.

Why not step up higher? It's called the point of diminishing return! The 28 Nosler is balanced well, especially with the 195 Berger, after that you have reached the point of diminishing returns. Its taking lots more powder to gain little velocity and loads more loss of barrel life.

I have 2 28 Noshers, one on its second barrel. I have shot well over 1500 195 Bergers and have killed 7 elk and 5 mule deer with this combo out past 1000 yards. The 195's shoot in the .2's and .3's in my guns and have shot several groups in the .1's, people that say they don't shoot good I don't understand. They have also performed flawlessly on all the game I have taken with them and also the game I have saw shot with them by friends hunting with me.

But as you said the 7Mag is no slouch, its very respectable in my book. And the info about the 195's isn't directed at you just thought I would include it since I was already typing.

Well for me it doesn't really do anything the others don't. But I'm looking for less weight so it seemed to be in shorter action. Cutting weight. And it seems to do it slightly more efficiently. I have both a 7mm mag and the 28 Nosler. When I bought the 28 I thought why did I do that it's not that much different. But it is and I like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.