Explain the need for a 28 Nosler

I actually bought a Nosler Mountain in 28 Nosler because at the time it was the only clambering in 7mm I felt comfortable Elk hunting with. No regrets, it was purchased as a purpose built hunting rifle.
Fly Guy,
Don't sell the 7mm mag short. I have 23 one-shot elk kills with mine. Plus, I am now using a .270 at times and have added two one-shot elk kills in the last two years.

Fly Guy,
Don't sell the 7mm mag short. I have 23 one-shot elk kills with mine. Plus, I am now using a .270 at times and have added two one-shot elk kills in the last two years.
Yuppers millions of elk ended up on someone's table due to the 7mm RM. It's a killing machine and just about a perfect all around gun for NA.

Yuppers millions of elk ended up on someone's table due to the 7mm RM. It's a killing machine and just about a perfect all around gun for NA.
I wanted a light rifle and at the time the Nosler Mountain rifles was only chambered in the Nosler calibers and the best bang for the buck on a near custom rifle. I use to use my 280 AI but after getting bruises on both shoulders because it is heavy and hiking 10 miles a day on average up an down canyons a lighter rifle was the solution. And the wife bought it;) I would highly recommend a 7mm RM any day of the week. I really want a .270 WSM for my 11 year old daughter who wants to go Elk hunting with a Terminator Break (Tikka T3).

I own a 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, and a 7 RUM. Is there a need? No. I had my 28 Nosler built for the 195 Berger. I settled on a load with RL33 right at 3100 fps. All are over bore, but there are plenty of good barrel makers. 😃

I own a 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, and a 7 RUM. Is there a need? No. I had my 28 Nosler built for the 195 Berger. I settled on a load with RL33 right at 3100 fps. All are over bore, but there are plenty of good barrel makers. 😃
I assume your stw and rum dont have the proper twist for those 195 Bergers. If the other 2 were proper twist do you think 3200 fps with 195 is possible. Just curious.

Always interested In new cartridges and there benefit to the shooting world.

I would like a debate or a good explanation for the need or advantage of this cartridge over what we already have.
Please keep it civil and educational. I have seen and heard some say it is the top performer for 7 mm. Opinions welcomed.

The closets factory rivals to it are the 7 STW and the 7 mm RUM.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM
I ve always liked the 7mmstw,dropped elk and moose with it !

When the barrel on my 7mag was near end of life, I looked at the same question.
Basically, I wanted to launch 180 grain bullets @ 3000 FPS.
Ultimately built a rifle based on Gunwerk's 7mm Long Range Magnum.

I considered 28 Nosler, 7STW and 7 LRM. Wasn't interested in a RUM. Had a 300 RUM Rem 700 that I was going to use as the donor action.
No to the STW because, personally, I don't like belted cases.
The 28 was still new at the time. I like the 404 Jeffrey case / 300 RUM and also use them in my 338 Edge.
Following a board suggestion, read an article about Gunwerks 7mm Long Range Magnum. It holds about 12 grains less powder, and for the same bullet is 200FPS slower. I'm not in a ****ing contest for fastest 7mm slug, and that extra 12 grains of powder makes a world of difference in barrel life. Funny, there has never been a lack of brass available for 375 Ruger, the parent case for the 7LRM. Plus, you can buy already made and headstamped brass from Gunwerks. JMO, advantages to the Gunwerks 7LRM over the 28 Nosler: Longer neck in the finished case, allowing to seat long heavies out farther with confidence; Same magazine space (300 RUM) but allows longer seating; very manageable recoil for the performance offered; some barrel makers will chamber for it; and easy source for my own brass. Disadvantage: it's a wildcat.
While I love what I see in their rifles, I cannot justify a Gunwerks rig. I like a challenge, so started a build. Finished weight, I targeted for 10 lbs. I tried to avoid all the mistakes I made with my 338 Edge build, and though well balanced, it's still too heavy at 12lbs finished. Had I selected a lighter barrel profile and a different chassis I'd be below 10 lbs. With a MB&M brake on it, it recoils like a 308 or lighter. Without, less than a 7Mag, more like an '06.
I run it with a Leupold Mark 4 LRT. It's a joy to shoot. Pick and range a target, adjust the dials, Hit!
The process was a great learning experience. Forming my own brass from 375 Ruger cases taught me a lot. I have both Gunwerks and my own brass. I also discovered my distaste for Hornady dies in the process. They work, they are quality, but I find I do prefer others and will spend more for them.
My father and I built 3 LRMs before the 28 was on the books. One for him one for me and one for my son. They all shoot 1/2 MOA fairly easily with moderate reloading effort. GW hit their target of a 180 VLD at 3000-3100fps with it for sure. It's biggest weakness is the single source for case and lack of factory rounds. They definitely provide enough steam to take game at extended ranges as our rifles have shown over the last 5 years. I think if I rebarreled mine I'd consider the 28 just to avoid the wildcat issue. You could always load the 28 down a little to save barrel but still have 1800+ fps at a 1000 yards.

Nosler made all of these 26,28, and 30 Noslers in an attempt to get Hornady to make a 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and I'm sure soon we will see a 7mm PRC. ;)
I am very interested to see if or I should say when Hornady makes the 7 PRC, I may add that to my collection of 7's, I have been thinking of getting a 300 PRC next spring, but may just sit on it in case the 7 comes out.

From personal use/experience,7RM-7STW-7RUM-28Nos, the 7STW is not really a ballistic twin, of the 28 Nosler, it's close? 28Nosler out paces 7STW with the 175gn bullets and up easily. I probably won't ever use lighter 140-160 class bullets, in 28Nosler, like I did in 7STW?

Now that there's way better slow powders, and that I still have my 7RUM brass & dies, I'v been rethinking the 7RUM?!

I like overbore seven's!

I have both a saami reamer and my spec reamer. Saami OAL with 195 is 3.635 touching lands neck at .320 and a 3/4 lead. With my new custom reamer OAL with 195 is 3.765 at lands, neck at .318 and a 1°-30 lead.
Have not got to shoot the new reamer yet as I made a new purchase on peterson brass and only have .001 clearance on neck so I need to turn the necks. The saami reamer I was achieving 2950 with h1000 195 EOL and 3075 with h1000 180 VLD. I only will run H1000 being that it will not be as hard on throats as others. I have 400 rounds through my old barrel with only .010 throat erosion. I assume I can get 3050 with h1000 and 195 . We will see.

Another question.
Even though speed is not the only criteria for long range hunting, it is important and cartridges that handle the biggest bullets seem to have an advantage for this sport. Magazine length has never been a problem for me and in my opinion a 4" mag will do anything I want.

I have owned about every factory 7 mm known to man and many wildcats. except the 28 Nosler
and was just wondering what reasonable velocities I could expect from the 28 using 195 grain bullets ?

J E CUSTOM
To answer the original question, no belt, standard long action, and long enough for the bullets available with a detachable or blind magazine setup.From what I've read and experienced the 195s are a flop. I tried them and couldn't get the same accuracy as the 168s & 175s. This was in a 8 twist Brux barrel. Pulled it and went back to a 9 twist, Benchmark and it shoots 1/4 moa out to 600 yards with the 168s and 175s. If those bullets won't kill at long distance, neither will the 195s. As far as brass, go with ADG. It will outlast the Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.