Explain the need for a 28 Nosler

I totally agree about the freebore, and it's effect on velocity and pressure. The only comparison that
is an apples to apples comparison would be with SAMMI chambers as the designer of the cartridge set all dimensions. so I was looking for the velocity in a SAMMI chamber as you would find ammo off the shelf but could still load for. Also at SAMMI pressures.

Just trying to place this cartridge where it belongs in the 7 mm line.

J E CUSTOM

I have a supposedly over SAMMI spec freebore, but I don't believe so since mine using the 195s had it below the neck/shoulder junction. I have not tried it with my 28, but it would probably sit above that junction with a 168gr bullet. I have read somewhere that Nosler was looking at this using there 162 Accubonds and heard others complain Nosler left a lot on the table by limiting it with there spec's.

I am building a 7-300prc as I prefer the reduced capacity but close to equal performance of the 28N. My goals are 195 @ 3000fps and 180s @ 3100 in the lower side of pressure curve to keep barrel life up. 28N will get 600-900 rounds depending on how you treat them. I'm hoping for 1200-1300 from this one. Has 8 gr more than 7mag and 8 gr less than 28N.

I have a supposedly over SAMMI spec freebore, but I don't believe so since mine using the 195s had it below the neck/shoulder junction. I have not tried it with my 28, but it would probably sit above that junction with a 168gr bullet. I have read somewhere that Nosler was looking at this using there 162 Accubonds and heard others complain Nosler left a lot on the table by limiting it with there spec's.

You hit on what I feel the 28 Nosler lacked. If you build it to specs it lacks the free bore needed to take full advantage of the cartridge potential. Nosler should have design a 7mm bullet 180gr or bigger to be a perfect match for there chamber thus it would have created a niche/need for a 28nosler. As they designed it you have to customize to reach it potential and you can customize other big 7mm to do the same.

The 300 PRC is an example of what they should have done. Designed to shoot the big heavy long bullets with its spec Factory chamber. This gives it a niche/ need over other similar 300's.

In short I feel Nosler jumped the gun and could have done better with their Nosler designs to better fit the Long range desires

You hit on what I feel the 28 Nosler lacked. If you build it to specs it lacks the free bore needed to take full advantage of the cartridge potential. Nosler should have design a 7mm bullet 180gr or bigger to be a perfect match for there chamber thus it would have created a niche/need for a 28nosler. As they designed it you have to customize to reach it potential and you can customize other big 7mm to do the same.

The 300 PRC is an example of what they should have done. Designed to shoot the big heavy long bullets with its spec Factory chamber. This gives it a niche/ need over other similar 300's.

In short I feel Nosler jumped the gun and could have done better with their Nosler designs to better fit the Long range desires
If Nosler spec it like Hornandy did with the 300PRC then it wouldnt fit there 3.4 action.
You gotta buy a reamer for the Nosler just order it with the correct freebore.

Because, it's everything I wanted the 7STW to do, but it didn't quite get there, at the time of it's inception?

The Belt: The oldtimers explained to me the purpose it, way back when with the 7RM and how to headspace on the shoulder, so the belt is unnecessary, period.

More efficient case: 404 Jeff case shortened, great powder capacity, way less fouling and there's more powders right now, than there ever was with the 7STW and more 7mm heavies. Liking the 195 EOL & Ramshot LRT!

Fits in a standard magnum action: I had this original SAV110 receiver lengthened .250 to fit full length 7STW with 175 SGK, now that it's a 28Nosler it works perfect for 195EOL's seated at the neck shoulder junction.

Choose the right case: I'v worked with the 28Nosler since right after inception and the soft Nosler case leaves a lot of performance on the table! It'l work, but there's a higher node, where it really works, and the pricey Nosler brass is only good for 1 firing, how do I know: 25 brand new pieces done first time out, pockets wasted!
Using Hornady and so far, so much better, but they have to be annealed first, they're very hard at the neck/shoulder (like they weren't annealed much at all if any) and messed up some Bergers during seating, but after that, excellent performance still on the 3rd firing.
I have the new Peterson cases and I know how tough this brass is, but haven't done anything yet with it, waiting on my new 27" barrel?

As far the barrels go, this is a Hotrod Round, treat it as such and it will do well for you. Current barrel is a SAAMI EABCO 26" Varmint with less than 200 down the pipe, and for $259 I cannot complain with the 3/4" or better groups.
It's replacement is an X-Caliber 27"stainless Varmint SAAMI and have yet to have issue with their steel.

My 7RM & 7STW were stone cold DRT killers and I'm hoping this will be too with a heavier payload, which it's shown on the 1K flat range, because I'v yet to take the 28N into the mountains...this may be the year I do?!

Ramble off.

FWIW, I had a REM700BDL 7RUM...I hated shooting it...SOLD AMERICAN!

Last edited:
Use ADG brass for longer case life. But, if you run it at max, 100 pieces might last the lifetime of the barrel.....500 rounds=5x firings.

I don't own a 28 Nosler. My 7RM (180 @ 2996 and 184 @ 3056) and .280AI (175 @ 2976) have worked well for me. But at MUCH lower velocities, and I don't push a 195. But when/if the 7RM ever needs a new barrel....28 Nosler is top of the list for a rebarrel.

Axisworks and Piercision have proprietary reamers that allow a bit more velocity due to special throats. Seating the bullet out a bit over SAAMI and allowing more powder as well. I have run several of them up over 3150 with the 195s. 3060-3120 is the norm.

The 28 is just the new fad in speed with heavy for caliber bullets. The release of the 195 Berger was a game changer, and really where the 28 Nosler shines. Seat them way out in a standard length LA, stuff a ton of powder under them, and go torch a barrel. In a hunting rifle that sees 10-20 rounds a year, could last 20-50 years. But who wants to trick out a rifle and then stick it in a safe???

Last edited:
I have no use for the 28 Nos personally. My main LR hunting rifle is a 1:8.5 7mm WSM that shoots 180 eldm a shade over 3000 FPS. When I am shooting ELR it is with my single shot 7 RUM and 197 SMK. For what I am doing I have no use for the 28 nosler. With that being said if I ran into one I liked I would pick it up.

I have or have had all of the following. Many in tikka or sakos that I punched out to AI etc

7-08
7-08ai
284 win
284 shehane
280ai
7wsm
7 RUM

I guess for me it boils down to if I'm trying to get all I can out of a short lightweight 7mm, the WSM is unbeatable. If I want top fuel drag racer performance in a cannon I build a RUM. If I want a nice compact ultra light 7mm, 7-08 AI. Nothing against the 28 Nos. It just doesn't fill a need for me.

Here is a drawing I use to get started to see what Action and Mag box will work and what the COAL will be.

Attachments

• 28 Nosler & Berger 195 drawing II.pdf
    244.9 KB · Views: 283
I haven't owned a 28 Nosler but I have no quarrels with it. I do have an STW that ends up at about 3.825 long with 180s. I did the magazine with a Wyatt's center feed and it's feeds great. Being that the 28 Nosler is ithe STW's ballistic Twin only shorter has to be nice. With my 180s @ 3180fps, I don't even pay much attention to what the wind is doing out 600yds, I just shoot and it's never let me down.

Sammi Specs are MAX COAL 7 STW 3.600 Case lenght 2.850
Sammi Specs are MAX COAL 7 RUM 3.600 Case Length 2.850
Sammi Specs are MAX COAL 28 Nosler 3.334 Case Length 2.590 .260 shorter which I use for seating the long High BC bullets.

All Three use a .750 exposed bullet @ sammi specs
I personally don't think any of them perform well with High BC bullets at Sammi Specs.
I am currently getting 3212 FPS in a Rock Creek Barrel 28" with a 1/8 twist with 175s
My COAL with 175s is 3.685 which will fit in a 3.7 box.

Last edited:
Always interested In new cartridges and there benefit to the shooting world.

I would like a debate or a good explanation for the need or advantage of this cartridge over what we already have.
Please keep it civil and educational. I have seen and heard some say it is the top performer for 7 mm. Opinions welcomed.

The closets factory rivals to it are the 7 STW and the 7 mm RUM.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM
there is no NEED, but they are cool and shoot really fast. Its a great hunting round, just like my 26 Nosler.

180's at 3000? My 24 in 280 AI shoots 180's at 2850 with 58 grains of powder and 30-06 length brass on any old LA action. With a muzzle brake it's a pleasure to shoot. If I had all the money in the world, I'd do it! But I don't...sad face. But don't think I haven't thought about it...for me 7mm is the sweet spot!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts