Votes: 97 45.3%
  • 8mm - .338 Win

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • .340 Wby - .338 Lapua

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • 375 H&H - 375 RUM & larger

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
300 win mag. Can get ammo just about any where if something goes wrong, and need ammo. I personally have shot elk with 25-06 thru 300winmag.

I prefer to pick a bullet and put a cartridge behind it, I really like what the 140 Berger does so I put a 6.5 Sherman or SS behind it, I really like the 165 Matrix and 170 berger so I put a 270 WSM or Sherman in a long action under it, I like the 177 Hammer so I put a 28 Nosler under it, 215 Berger gets a 308 to 30 Nosler and may be the most versatile bullet I've ever shot elk with. I really like the 250 Berger so I would put a 338 Sherman or a 338 RUM under it.
One thing I will not do is shoot a rifle that beats me or anyone using it, I've seen a good number of elk very, very cleanly killed inside 300 yard with a 223 because the shooter was confident behind it. I would have no problem shooting elk the rest of my life with a 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5x47L, I would not be happy being stuck with a large 338 for everything so for me it's a two gun solution, something in the 6.5-270 range and the BIG 300 or 338. In my area the most common guns are 243, 270 and 30-06 for elk, the only time I saw a magnum was dudes from out of state.

WP MF.jpg
Where i hunt the terrain is much different than the east side and alot of the game is in alders 8' tall,most avid elk hunters over here go heavy.This is 7 miles in and 3000'vert.The elk here are almost never at the front

Last edited:
It depends on where I am hunting and more specifically how. If I know I am going in to thick country and bugling an elk into 30 yards and he is ready for a fight I prefer a fast 33 and a stout bullet. Yes a hundred different calibers will work, but I like something that packs a 225plus grain bullet that will make two holes and punch through some mass if needed.
If I am planning more of an open country, glassing the opposite side of the valley hoping to find the unsuspecting elk at 500-700 yards then something pushing a high bc vld/eld bullet in a 6.5, 7mm or 30 works for me. Today I would prob walk out the door with my 260ai, or maybe the 7mag.
There is an advantage to living in the middle of elk country and being aboe to hunt 5 min from the house. Once you know the country your going into you can taylor your gear to it.

***ERROR- Switch "25-06" and "6.5X284" places, this is a mistake I can't edit - Sorry!***

This is for people that have successfully harvested an elk
(Another poll will be created for those that haven't yet.)

Pretend you get chosen to go on a once in a lifetime Montana elk hunt in a district with all types of terrain, thick lodgepole to wide open plains. Choose the cartridge you take. (if your ideal cartridge isn't listed, pick the closest one to it).

Feel free to explain.
I voted for the 338 WM. When I'm asked, "what would a hunter in north America use a 338 for?", i have always replied by saying, "it's an elk gun!

When I was a young kid at elk camp, outside the wall tent was the gun rack.We had good sized camp with cook tent also,group thing.That rack had the 06,7rm,308norma,45-70,300-340 wbys,358,think I was the only 243 in the group,lots elk in those days.This where i first ate moose tongue and had my boots painted with bear grease.

I use a 300rum mainly but when I'm taking my rifle on a long hike I go with the 280ai that's weighs in at 8 lbs fully loaded.

I voted 7mm because it's the closest to 2 current favorite Elk rifles. I've killed Elk with everything from a .257 Roy up to a .338. When I drew a very good limited entry Elk tag in 2017, I took my 264 Win Mag and killed my biggest Bull yet at 658 yards with a single shot.

All I got to say about the three similar threads posted by the O.P. is that I'm sorry I didn't catch it earlier
We all kill, that's what happens when we hunt, for some more than others.
I wished we could all start using terms like "harvest". If I wanted to be known as a killer I could mean anything from being serial to some swag forum about vet with guns.
Sorry if this offends anyone, especially the O.P., that's not my intent.
Being One of the 10% that seldom eats a tag, almost a half century old. I just find my views changing as seasons go on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts