Experienced elk hunters

Anything but offhand. From elk to pronghorn, get a rest of any sort. Prone is great, sticks are very good and if you're sitting, watching a good shooting lane, a tree branch works incredibly.

Anything but offhand. From elk to pronghorn, get a rest of any sort. Prone is great, sticks are very good and if you're sitting, watching a good shooting lane, a tree branch works incredibly.

I once spotted a bull standing under a conifer; I am guessing it had been bedded down since I was on the north side of the hill. I was late to rendezvous with my brother so I was hiking somewhat quickly with rifle slung. I stopped, slowly shouldered my rifle, and shot him from about 125 yards. I don't like offhand, but I practice it at least once a week - sometimes you don't have a chance to get a rest and to dismiss offhand is passing up chances. I shot a moose in AK a few years ago same way; spotted him getting up from its bed about 45 yards away. If you can't hit a moose offhand at 45 yards, you shouldn't be hunting.

Last edited:
Great story. I completely agree with the 45 yard point but not so about 125, since the chance may be longer than rushing, to at least get to one knee or other if at all possible to improve shot placement... a fave of my wife who has proven this move on quite a few critters. I find it most critical on the pronghorn hunt, where a small target at distance is a serious challenge. I understand though, when you gotta, you gotta, but offhand is my last choice and the urge to shoot offhand is strong to many.

Standing is the worst position of all, but at times has to be done or don't shot (hard choice). Longer the yards the worst it gets. I learn to move to a point I can rest my rifle forearm on something, again, or use a shooting stick "tripod". Study the forearm by placing the rifle against a tree or over a branch on a rock. Anything that's naturally provides. Sitting if able too. Laying down in brush doesn't work very good. Can't see over the tops of the brush to shot especlly on flat land.
Elk move quickly through the trees, and you loose them on a few yards. They walk quicker than you think. I hunt public lands, with everybody else. Mule deer I don't carry a round in the chamber, but elk I relearn to do. I've shot elk running, standing, and walking in timber and open areas. All were in Colo. in the third season. Changes bolt action type to lock down the bolt when carrying a round in the chamber. Being left handed and carrying on left side, you can move the safety off on rifles, Like Rem 721 or 700.
Good luck!
SSS

Every situation that has presented itself out west I found myself using three leg trigger sticks. One elk at 500 yds, one muley at 475 yds, both cross canyon--just the way it happened. Shot all my game in Africa off the sticks. I'd prefer prone if I could ever get it (except for the Cape Buffalo--I wanted to be ready to run:)) , but it seems to take too long to set up...preset the sticks for your shooting height and when the shot happens you plop those suckers down and in 10 seconds you're ready to shoot.

Standing is the worst position of all, but at times has to be done or don't shot (hard choice). Longer the yards the worst it gets. I learn to move to a point I can rest my rifle forearm on something, again, or use a shooting stick "tripod". Study the forearm by placing the rifle against a tree or over a branch on a rock. Anything that's naturally provides. Sitting if able too. Laying down in brush doesn't work very good. Can't see over the tops of the brush to shot especlly on flat land.
Elk move quickly through the trees, and you loose them on a few yards. They walk quicker than you think. I hunt public lands, with everybody else. Mule deer I don't carry a round in the chamber, but elk I relearn to do. I've shot elk running, standing, and walking in timber and open areas. All were in Colo. in the third season. Changes bolt action type to lock down the bolt when carrying a round in the chamber. Being left handed and carrying on left side, you can move the safety off on rifles, Like Rem 721 or 700.
Good luck!
SSS
I used to carry hot. Stupid idea. 406muley

Great story. I completely agree with the 45 yard point but not so about 125, since the chance may be longer than rushing, to at least get to one knee or other if at all possible to improve shot placement... a fave of my wife who has proven this move on quite a few critters. I find it most critical on the pronghorn hunt, where a small target at distance is a serious challenge. I understand though, when you gotta, you gotta, but offhand is my last choice and the urge to shoot offhand is strong to many.

I understand the statement, but "with practice", it isn't that difficult. In Nat'l Match shooting, the Standing position is shot at 200 yards w/o sling, and with practice, one can become rather proficient. Similar shooting in NRA .22LR silhouettes at the 100 yard rams, and then the entire HP Silhouette course to 500 meters is offhand . I have shot countless game between 100-200 yards from the standing offhand position, and even a couple of elk at 400+ yards.

However, I understand your statement and concern.

I used to carry hot. Stupid idea. 406muley

"Color me stupid"! Until the last 25 or so years, in the terrain I hunted, often a successful "season" depended upon getting a shot off in well under 2 seconds (closer to fractions of seconds). If you weren't "hot"....may as well take up golf, or some other obscene 4 letter sport! memtb

Here is another thing to consider: if you are hunting with a guide and wound an animal, your hunt is likely over. Some states require you to punch your tag if you draw blood (Alaska). You can chalk it up to the long range craze. It is one thing to take a long range shot on a DIY hunt, and another to take it on a hunt where you paid big bucks and will end it if you wound and lose an animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.