Experienced elk hunters

Most of my elk have come by shooting with a bow....not prone...
Rifle shots...find a big sage bush...or a tree limb..or log..rock..
Packing extra weight other than a walking stick get burdensome.....

I've done the CO 3rd rifle for 25 years. We hunt some reasonably tough country. Packing g shooting sticks is more than I care to do. A good while back, I came across Snipe Pods from Kramer designs. They're a collapsible bipod. They fold up in a belt pouch. I use the sitting model. Works for everything from turkey hunting to elk hunting.

I'm Heading out to Colorado 3rd rifle season. In what shooting position have you taken most of your shots at. Off back pack, shooting sticks, sitting or prone. I plan to practice all I can in different positions. Trying to get a feel for what I'm going into. Thanks to all fir your help.
Last two were sitting with bipod and pack for rear support. I always prefer prone, but with sagebrush sometimes it isn't an option. I have gone to the Harris 12-25 swivel bipod for almost all my big game hunting. It is one of the most versatile bipods out there. I can shoot prone with it the pack or a coat for rear support. If I am sitting shooting uphill I put the legs on my toes and adjust accordingly.

When I was a kid (80's) they were sitting using my knee to rest on. The last 20 years have been sticks and usually sitting. Last year was sticks on the front and pack frame under the stock and my right arm for added stability. Prone is great, but I have a hard time finding an area where I can go probe and see past the brush.

At one time or another, I've shot elk from every position, but I was a serious competitive position shooter for decades and still practice such. The majority have come from either sitting with or w/o sticks or backpack/bipod.

There's no way to predict, I've shot them in about every position one can think of. The last five were standing leaning on a tree, prone, sitting w/ bipods, prone, sitting with bipods.

For 3rd season CO. I would think you will be hitting thick cover- thus standing or shooting cross canyon at crack of light- prone.

I would recommend short bi-pods and a claw on a tripod to cover potential shots. I've found the sitting length bipods are either too long for prone or too short for sitting on a slope. The short bipods you can put on a tree, pile rocks, or perfect for prone

Last edited:
I have shot 9 elk, 5 of which are 6x6 or better. Eight came at less than 150 yards, the other at 638, which I shot sitting with a rest. Never shot any of them using a bipod. Not sure where you guys are hunting or your methods, but never shot one prone. Shot a few standing with a Bog Pod, a few standing no support, and the rest sitting, normally with a sling but not always. Five of my elk were DIY; the rest with guides. Shot them in AZ, CO, and ID.

Here is a video of one I shot with a BogPod at close range. I carry it extended so I can shoot standing if I have to. Actual hunting footage starts at 3:20 or thereabouts. The elk was hit solidly but I shot him again running offhand without the BogPod.

I would also say I am kind of stunned how few people know how to shoot with a shooting sling. I never carry a bipod on my rifle as I find it too clumsy; if I need one, I have time to install it. Instead, if I don't have a BogPod, I just use my sling. Shot a ton of stuff over the years sitting with a sling. Shot a moose in the Yukon once at 285 sitting with a sling after declining my guide's shooting stick. After I dropped the bull my guide said, "I have never seen that before." I was confused what he meant; he clarified by stating he had never seen someone shoot using a shooting sling.

Last edited:
I have shot 9 elk, 5 of which are 6x6 or better. Eight came at less than 150 yards, the other at 638, which I shot sitting with a rest. Never shot any of them using a bipod. Not sure where you guys are hunting or your methods, but never shot one prone. Shot a few standing with a Bog Pod, a few standing no support, and the rest sitting, normally with a sling but not always. Five of my elk were DIY; the rest with guides. Shot them in AZ, CO, and ID.

Here is a video of one I shot with a BogPod at close range. I carry it extended so I can shoot standing if I have to. Actual hunting footage starts at 3:20 or thereabouts.

I would also say I am kind of stunned how few people know how to shoot with a shooting sling. I never carry a bipod on my rifle as I find it too clumsy; if I need one, I have time to install it. Instead, if I don't have a BogPod, I just use my sling. Shot a ton of stuff over the years sitting with a sling. Shot a moose in the Yukon once at 285 sitting with a sling after declining my guide's shooting stick. After I dropped the bull my guide said, "I have never seen that before." I was confused what he meant; he clarified by stating he had never seen someone shoot using a shooting sling.

I agree with you on the sling. After 50 years of hunting I tried using a bipod. I never had time to set it. I ended up using the sling anyway. It only takes a few seconds to slip into it and it is always there.

The primos sticks are sweet ... but they are expensive and I'm on my second set after very little use due to the trigger mechanism fail . I'm will admit I didn't always keep them oiled up and they were left outside more than I should've but for the money i expected them to be a little more durable.

Here is a video of one I shot with a BogPod at close range. I carry it extended so I can shoot standing if I have to. Actual hunting footage starts at 3:20 or thereabouts. The elk was hit solidly but I shot him again running offhand without the BogPod.

Now days, not many people outside of position shooting circles have nor correctly use a shooting sling, and that's a shame. Since they can greatly improve ones field shooting precision. Nat'l Match, Smallbore 4 position, Palma and 1,000yd prone really improves field shooting success.

The first thing I do when putting a sling on, is adjust it to shoot with it, even most of the padded slings.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.