Experience with the 30tc?

Alanm338

I just got my new prohunter barrel in 30tc. Anybody have any info on loads or what they have used or experienced with this cartridge out of a handgun? Mine is a 15" barrel and I plan on using it for deer and black bear.
Thanks
Alan

No experience with the 30 T/C but with the 30X47 on the 300 Savage case which the 30 T/C is just a little fatter but about the same length. The 30 T/C seems to be just their version of the 308 Win. IMR 4895 has been THE powder with 150 gr and under bullets for me. The 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is one heck of a deer killing bullet. I use it in everything that keeps the impact velocity 3000 fps and under. I have been using it the past two seasons in a T/C Contender 14" 30-30AI at 2670 fps to take 7 WT deer with. I have taken in excess of 50 deer we will say in the past with the 125 BT in various caliber rifles and pistols and I can't remember more than maybe 4 or 5 that have even taken a step after receiving one and they did not go over 3 jumps. I do control hunting on a big farm in NC. I do not see why a 150 gr Nosler Partition or Accubond would not be good black bear medicine. I have not used any 30 cal Accubonds but have used the 130 AB in my 264 Win mag rifle and it is a great bullet on deer and I would not be afraid to use it on elk. I shot a buck at 111 yard as he slightly quartered toward me with his left shoulder. Bullet exited muzzle at average 3350 fps struck front edge of the left scapula smashing it and was found next to the ball socket in the right ham when cutting up the meat. Bullet weight was 87 grs with a text book mushroom. If a bullet can strike bone still going at least 3100 fps take out the vitals and travel through over 4 feet of deer and still hold together and retain 75% of it's weight it is a great bullet in my book. That is the only AB I have recovered. All others, 10 or 12, have then through and through and all deer have been DRT. Good luck and good shooting. Hope this helps.

That helps a bit. Never thought about a 125 bt. I have taken many deer with revolvers but only one with a bottle neck case from a handgun. Wanted something to reach out further than a six gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts