Experience with Stocky's composite stocks

You can make the LRC an even better deal by skim bedding it yourself. None of the extra prep work you would expect with a stock that doesnt have a full bedding block. It's easy to do . Just use a good release agent and make sure not to leave any "hooks" for the epoxy to run onto. Modeling clay works great for filling in areas you dont want the filler to go. It gives me a sense of pride to DIY that kind of stuff. Might even be fun for ya !
Definitely. I've been thinking about doing that. I have a buddy who has done all of his rifles himself so I may get him to help with this one. He could just be there as I do it if nothing else.

Good luck. I did my first bedding job at 16 on a Winchester 670 30-06 . I'm 54 now and I've bedded every bolt gun I've owned since that old 670. I don't even mount the scope on a new bolt gun till i bed and free float it.

Wow. That's a lot of experience, respectfully of course. I think I will handle this one the same way as far as not even worrying about mounting the scope before all of the stock work is done. Did you find the fore end on yours to be flimsy at all? I will have a Brux #5 bull sporter so I want to make sure it is stiff enough for when it's on a rest or bipod.

The forearm has SOME flex, but it will take alot of pressure on your part to cause contact. Stockys recommends removing the barrel valley insert if you want max clearance, but I left mine in to help stiffen the forearm. I had a sendero profile xcaliber barrel and decided to relieve just a little in the barrel channel, more to make the clearance follow the barrel conture than a need for more clearance.

I dont think I eased your mind in the forearm stiffness with the post above, so let me elaborate a little more.
It's not super rigid like a carbon bull barrel style stock, but probably as stiff as a floated wood stock. Not even close to being as floppy as a cheap factory synthetic stock.

It is awesome. I got the long range model. Wanted it for bench & bipod shooting. It is abot 1# heavier than kevlar n fiberglass but thats what i wanted to cut recoil. I was going to get another. Thinking about the m50 but still like the vertical pistol grip on the long range. Depends on what you want it for. $200. Is a steel and its a great stock. Only downside is weight, but i wanted the weight.

149.99 for the unpainted version. For the price, I dont know of another stock that will touch it. Just heavy. The M50 is interesting too. I like that it comes with snap in comb height adjusters.

It sounds like it's going to be a winner. May even go with the unpainted version and try to finish it myself as long as that doesn't require anything too complicated that I'm not thinking of.. For that price I could take it off and use it for a short range brush gun if I decided I didn't like it on this rifle.

The material it's made of takes paint without drama. It's more like a fiberglass when you sand it . Nothing like the plastic junk regularly used on factory synthetic stocks.

I am pleased with the SS/LRC I used for my recent remage build. The barrel nut and large, "V" shaped recoil lug required quite a bit of extra clearancing. On the bedding block the action fit was really very good but I skim bedded it just because.

I would go with B&C and be done with it. I've found that Stocky's customer service sucks. Have sent back stocks that weren't up to par, one even cracked through the grip that they refused to replace or refund customers money on. Will never use them again.

I would go with B&C and be done with it. I've found that Stocky's customer service sucks. Have sent back stocks that weren't up to par, one even cracked through the grip that they refused to replace or refund customers money on. Will never use them again.

My exact history with Bell and Carlson. NO NO NO! I don't care if I have to use plastic spoons melted together never will give another dollar to b and c. I had one bedded and shot it a lot on a .308 Ruger. Yup not too many choices for me back then. Well it warped so terribly at the wrist it was like an old shotgun cant. Decided to send it back which cost more $. Guy said it had too much bedding. So how does that matter to the thing bending like a boomerang? Also, the bedding job was completely sanitary perfectly done in every way. I still have it to remind me what TERRIBLE service is like not that I will ever forget.

Those stocks are alright, but the ones I've seen have a lot of flex in the forend when you shoot off of a bipod. I just finished trying to reinforce one for a guy, haven't tested it yet to see how it worked out.
never had any trouble with the AG off of a bipod that is how I do most of my work and off of a RRS tripod but I always bed the action

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.