Experience with Remington 721?

Came across a 1951 vintage 30-06 Remington 721 for sale. Pics look great. Have not got my hands on it to check out rifling, but am told it is very good.

Anyone wish to share their experiences with the 721?
Sure, I've owned quite a few of them over the years, "very good" action, just a little on the cheap side... on the wood, the blueing just so, so... but! If you look closely at the action it follows the same design as the Rem 40XB right down to the cut out for the top five shot feeder clip into the blind magazine. I've built off the action many times, the trigger is nothing to shout about but, it can be worked over or replaced. Add a Sako extractor and Jewell triggers, and little better stock, yes... the barrel many times needs to you, then..., what you really have is a fantastic action, but if the barrel shoots keep it, you'll have a lifelong shooter and keeper. After 50 plus years of shooting and hunting with them from time to time, selling my last one ten years ago, when I see one on the rack, my mind starts thinking about what could be done to it.
Remember our Peral Harbor heroes on this day, guys and gals, it's important, if that greatest generation hadn't picked up arms to protect and give us what we have today I wouldn't be writing this. God Bless America. 🇺🇲 Cheers.

I've had several 722s (the short action version). Only handled one 721. It was a 270 owned by a buddy's dad.
He insisted I shoot it. He said, "now, it will hit an inch high and 1/4 inch left". That's exactly where it hit!
Pretty plain walnut stocks, no hinged floor plate, basically same trigger as 700 with a narrower shoe, different bolt knob. I put a 722 stock on a 700 BDL so I wouldn't beat up the pristine 700 stock. Dropped right in and then I inletted the BDL floor plate into the 722 stock.
721's and 722's are old Plain Jane's, but man do they shoot!!!! The triggers are far superior to the 700's. Made before liability was a factor.

I picked up a 721 in 30-06 a few years ago for a beater rifle and I have to say I was surprised when it shot remington core-loks sub moa pretty easily. One thing I noticed was that factory steel butt plate lets you know where it hits you really quick! Now it has a good recoil pad on and I tuned the trigger, it's basically a 700 with some unique features.

I have a Remington 721 in .270. Bought it from the original owner back in the early eighties. He bought it new in 1958, took it home and threw the stock away and built a Monte Carlo stock. I have not changed the load recipe in over 30 years, because it shoots .5" to .9" groups. I have considered putting 700 BLD bottom metal on it so it would be hinged. I have a 722 that is real rough shape and has a shot out barrel for my next project.

If you still have the Winchester, I think you made the right decision. Have you seen the money lever guns are bringing in now
No, I don't have it, but... I still have four other Win keepers left and one Marlin .444, the .32 Special and my M71 went in the same trade as did my Win 88 I think I need to get my crystal ball polished again. 😂 ;)

I've got my father-in-laws 722 in .257 Roberts that he bought new in 1950-something. Shot plain Jane 117gr Core-Lokt like it was a marriage. Shot under 1" at 100 yds and was perfect whitetail medicine back in West Virginia.

I still have it, it sits in a period correct Herters stock and it's getting ready for a new scope and it will be my daughters hunting gun.

My Grandpas 1950s 721 30-06 was my primary hunting rifle until 10 years ago
I took a Bighorn Ram with it when I was 22y/o
Very accurate Rifle
I also own a 722 (short action) in .222 rem and it is a sage rat slayer and an awesome trainer for the 30/06

Recent Posts