Experience with Remington 721?

Oldillini

Came across a 1951 vintage 30-06 Remington 721 for sale. Pics look great. Have not got my hands on it to check out rifling, but am told it is very good.

Anyone wish to share their experiences with the 721?

Only two both in 06 I loaded for two buddies. I would have to pull the data for specifics. I know both of them were .75" or under with what ever I sent them back with for a load. Funny thing I remember was they both called them 700's and were family hand downs from their grandpas. I had to ask a old gun guy WTH is a 721 as I had not heard of them either.

A friend has a 721 in .270 Win. A inheritance from his father. With hand loads it shoots very accurately. If I recall it's a 1959 or 1960 model. Looks like new with only a couple very small dings in the stock. I'm certain it will not be hunted with and remain a safemate of the pristine 300 Wby Mag his dad left him. A borescope on your possible purchase should reveal a lot.

Good old classic Remington 👍
had a hand-me-down from a great uncle in 06 and shot everything with it. Problem was I wanted a larger 300WM and being in high school at the time I was forced to trade it off if I wanted anything else😔. Major regret and I need to find another.

If you're looking to buy the rifle you need to cycle some ammo through the action to see if it feeds smoothly. Some of those old push feed Remington actions really destroyed bullet tips. You will understand why the manufacturers started making bullets with plastic/teflon tips.

I've had several 722s (the short action version). Only handled one 721. It was a 270 owned by a buddy's dad.
He insisted I shoot it. He said, "now, it will hit an inch high and 1/4 inch left". That's exactly where it hit!
Pretty plain walnut stocks, no hinged floor plate, basically same trigger as 700 with a narrower shoe, different bolt knob. I put a 722 stock on a 700 BDL so I wouldn't beat up the pristine 700 stock. Dropped right in and then I inletted the BDL floor plate into the 722 stock.

I've got my dad's Remington 721, in .270. I put a new pad on it and scoped it (always been shot with open sights), and it shot .900 with Core Lokt. I hand loaded and got it .400 moa with NBT and IMR 4350. My dad's great-grandkids will take deer with in about three weeks in Texas.

1638845631842.jpeg

They have the same barrel threads as the 700. I am building a 257 roberts for my father in law at the moment. The back of the action is a little different then the 700s. The 721 doesn't have the notch for the safety. On ours we put that notch in there and can now run a Rem 700 trigger.

Great rifles the daddy of the rem 700, they have no real flaws, the extractor can be an issue but I do see them for sale on gunbroker or u can have an M16 style installed the stock is designed for open sight use any thing that fit a Remington 700 will fit a 721/722 I have 27 different 721/722 and prefer them over anything new these two are 721s that had bad barrels but have been basically turned in to 700s in 6.5rpm and 30gibbs

Attachments

• F67628D3-2159-4979-B74C-FA628FD245E5.jpeg
    F67628D3-2159-4979-B74C-FA628FD245E5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
I have several bolt rifles, but my go to killing machine is still a 721 in .30-06 that had belonged to the wife's grandfather. First three shots I took (@ 97 yards) looked like a cloverleaf with each cutting at least 1/3 into the adjacent two holes. But the recoil was painful. Changed to a Bishop stock (partially inlet then finished fit myself. Bedded action, lug, and first 1.5" of barrel) and now can shoot it all day.
The stock is everything!
A recent recall happened on the safety, but I never sent mine in.