Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

I was using NOSLER BOAT TALES back in the 70s I can't remember when I started using the SST but my 03A3 .3006 just loves them...the Deer don't.

So popular...try and find some right now. I'm having a hard time trying to find much of any reloading supplies right now, in the store or online. It's depressing. Is it always this way during this time of year, or is it because of this whole gun ordeal. I was hoping to start working on my SST loads again, but can't find any.

I read about half the responses then skipped to the end so sorry if I missed something important.

I have used the SST in my 270 Win and 308 Win, mainly on pigs - about 100 or so - a number of goats and a few other things.

For the most part I have mainly used 150g SSTs in the 270 at muzzle velocity in the 2950fps range. I have categorically never ever had a pig shot with this bullet get away. Those pigs would number somewhere between 60 and 70 in the last few years. A few have certainly needed a second or third shot on rare occasions but none ever got away.

They do cause large wounds and sometimes don't completely penetrate the larger pigs, but they kill well and I have found them very accurate.

I shot a mule deer with my 270 win. using 130 gr. and hit third rib back, busted the all 3 ribs, 3" of spine, penetrated through part of the rear leg. Recovered just under the skin. Worked flawlessly in my opinion.

Last edited:
Here's the recovered bullet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 233
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts