Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

I've been using 165gr SST's for while in 7.5 swiss and 30-06 loads for deer. Shots have ranged from 75 - 300yrds. I have never needed a second shot but have been less than impressed at times. I've seen a lot of jacket core separation. These loads have rarely exited and those that have left the jacket in the off side hide. Wound channels are huge and can cause massive damage to meat if you happen to strike bone on entry. The worst I saw was a shot at roughly 75yrds with the 30-06 where the SST literally exploded on entry. Fragments everywhere and very little penetration. Once I use up my current loads I'll switch to something else. They do look good on paper though.

I love them in my 308 for deer. shoot through deer leaving them where they stand. Not had good luck getting them to shoot in 4 different 243s though.

I went out to the desert shooting yesterday. 450 yds,accross canyon witha 20-25 mph head wind from 11:00 position. The SST's shot beautifly!!!!........However theres a catch........... I found two bullets with complete jackett/core sepperation!
I know 3 of my shots hit the dirt just in front of my 5/8 plywood target board with my paper target secured to it, and left key holes thru the plywood.(I was shooting both my rifle and my dads, dads has a standard duplex, and I was doping the top of the bottom post when I hit the dirt). ANYWAY......long story short I only shot a ttl of 24 rounds, and found 2 with jacket/core seperation. So needless to say, I must re-cant my opinion of the SST. Even though I liked what they did on my uncles elk, I wont be using them for hunting like I planned. Maybe this is not a fair shake to the SST, but I have never seen a bonded bullet perform as poor as this no matter what I hit. Its bonded so it DOESNT seperate jacket and core. Ill be switching to the IB's, and I hope they fly as well as the SST's.
These were 150gr Hornady SST,s with .525 b.c. in 270WSM, with 61gr of IMR 4831(1 tenh of a grain over saami max). in both rifles. They both shoot under a min. with this load. Noslers Accubond only goes up to 140gr so Im sticking with Hornady, and going with the IB's. they have the same shape/weight/load data/and B.C., so hopefully they work up simmilarly to the SST.[/QUO

SST's are not bonded bullets, so perhaps this may be your reason for disappointment.

Trapper I don't care for SST"S either. BUt I do love the accubonds. I know you like the 150's but a 140 gr accubond will do you right. I shoot a .270 win and use H4350 with 140's an H4831sc with 130's. They are very very accurate. Good luck.

I shot a few deer with the SST and performance was good, maybe a little explosive but I like that better than having pencil holes.

I went to the Interbond and like them better than the Accubond so far for terminal performance in my 270wsm.

I have not yet tried them in my 6.5x284.

Man, it seems like they're either loved or hated! I'm headed to Africa and wanted to bring my .264 along for some lighter game but can't seem to find anything that preforms to my satisfaction in the accuracy dept. I originally loaded Sierra 140gr spbt with 46 gr IMR 4064. I got decent groups (1/2") at 100 yds. but it seems like my gun only shoots well cold. After 5-6 shots they start stringing out hi and left. I just tried the Barnes 120gr. TTSX with 48gr of 4064 and my groups went to 1-1/2". I couldn't find any Sierra's at my local Bass Pro so I thought i'd give the SST a chance. BTW, i'm shooting a Rem 700 Classic w/24" bbl. If anyone has any suggestions or pet loads, i'm all ears.

Digging up some bones with this one. This thread is a couple years old but I'll put my opinion/experiences out there.
I only have experience with the .308 and 7mm SST's. I load them exclusively in my 7 mag and have for the past 10 years. To me they compare to ballistic tips, capable of great accuracy and rapid expansion. They make a very good bullet for medium game. If you are one of those who believe a bullet should leave all it's energy inside the animal then load some light for caliber SST's in that high velocity .264 and you won't be disappointed. If you are like me and want a bullet that expands quickly and still penetrates, load the heavy for caliber SST's. The difference is just the length of the shank. I have shot mature whitetail bucks (170-200+ lbs) from distances of under 50 yards out to 500, and they had great performance on all (162gr 7mm). Great terminal performance and a good sized exit hole. None go very far if move at all.

Thanks for the input Bravo4. I picked up a box of the 140gr SST and loaded em up. I found my sweet spot using 44 grains of IMR 4064 (dime sized groups at 100yds)
Also, I removed my barrel and sanded off the pressure pad just back of the fore end.
What a huge diff! I also tried the Barnes 120gr. TTSX pushed by a load of 59gr. RL-22, groups weren't bad, (1") but I guess I expected better. Not sure which one I'll use on my hunt, but I'll prolly bring both.

I know this is an old thread but I'm totally convinced that if you like or hate the SST bullets you will really love the Nosler Accubonds.

I guess i'll have to try them some time. I was always a big fan of the partition, they flew well and were pretty consistent on big game. I've also used the Ballistic Tips and although they flew well I was not very impressed with terminal performance on large game. I almost bought the Acu-bonds while at Bass Pro but I noticed the SST's were a 100 pk. for the same price and had to try them.

If your reloading though your talking less than .25 cents a piece more. Thats not going to break you I don't think.

I went out to the desert shooting yesterday. 450 yds,accross canyon witha 20-25 mph head wind from 11:00 position. The SST's shot beautifly!!!!........However theres a catch........... I found two bullets with complete jackett/core sepperation!
I know 3 of my shots hit the dirt just in front of my 5/8 plywood target board with my paper target secured to it, and left key holes thru the plywood.(I was shooting both my rifle and my dads, dads has a standard duplex, and I was doping the top of the bottom post when I hit the dirt). ANYWAY......long story short I only shot a ttl of 24 rounds, and found 2 with jacket/core seperation. So needless to say, I must re-cant my opinion of the SST. Even though I liked what they did on my uncles elk, I wont be using them for hunting like I planned. Maybe this is not a fair shake to the SST, but I have never seen a bonded bullet perform as poor as this no matter what I hit. Its bonded so it DOESNT seperate jacket and core. Ill be switching to the IB's, and I hope they fly as well as the SST's.
These were 150gr Hornady SST,s with .525 b.c. in 270WSM, with 61gr of IMR 4831(1 tenh of a grain over saami max). in both rifles. They both shoot under a min. with this load. Noslers Accubond only goes up to 140gr so Im sticking with Hornady, and going with the IB's. they have the same shape/weight/load data/and B.C., so hopefully they work up simmilarly to the SST.[/QUO

SST's are not bonded bullets, so perhaps this may be your reason for disappointment.

Ok, for the 3rd or 4th time in this thread, ill try & make it very clear that I am fully aware of the difference between the two bullets. I chose my words poorly but if you read what I wrote you'd see that I was going to swich to IB's because I was disgusted with the terminal performance of the SST.
I like how bonded bullets perform. I was simply making a comparison to crap performance of the non bonded SST. When a guy can only find 2 bullets out of 24, & the only two recovered had complete jacket core separation, you can understand why I was disappointed, because I was expecting to recover a mushroomed bullet, not pieces of hollow jacket material.

Thus the statement "I have never seen a bonded bullet perform this poorly" was strictly in reference to the disappointing terminal performance of the NON BONDED SST.
Some folks like frags. I don't. My expectations were that the SST was a controlled expansion hunting bullet. Not a frag that blew up ion impact. Different expectations of performance I guess. Either way, I'm shooting Accubonds now & couldn't be happier. (ya I know, they're not made by Hornady. Oh, & ya, they're bonded. Oh & just incase anybody wants to know they Do perform like a Bonded bullet, -cause they are- & you can recover beautifull little mushrooms all day)
Actually if you read the entire post, instead of one or two of them, you'd see that this issue was addressed several times. I still take responsibility for choosing my words poorly. But please read the rest of the thread.

Last edited:
I have used these bullets in my 243 and 308 shot 4 antelope with the 243 at ranges from 15yds to 150yds all animals droped in there tracks did have jacket and core seperation with them.
The 308 i have taken 2 antelope and 2 mule deer with at ranges from 50yds to 250yds these were all pass through shots and not one animal went more then 20 steps and no signs of seperation and did incredible internal damage to the animals leaving about a 2 inch exit wound on most.
These bullets were all of the interlock variety and all grouped very well.
I am starting to devlope a load for my 300wsm right now and am going with the 165gr in the interbond just because i think in the higher velocity of the wsm like in the 243 i dont want to have the seperation issues.
Good luck my friend

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.