Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

My brother shot a hog with one and it hit the spine. It completely destroyed the entire area. You could have put a softball through the hole.
Funny thing was it didn't kill him, it needed a second shot. 300 win mag at 250 yards.
We don't shoot them anymore.
Try the accubond for as good as SST accuracy and excellent performance.

All I shoot is Hornady sst 117 grain bullets in my 257 Roberts. My farthest shot was on a mule deer doe, at about 375 yards, one shot and it went down not 30 yards from the hit. In my gun they are extremely accurate.

I've used the 150gr 270 cal SST to take deer or sheep from 100 out over 1000yds and have yet to be disappointed. Muzzle velocities were from 2700-3650fps with impact velocities anywhere from 2800 on down to below 1800fps, all bullets opened up and achieved adequate penetration.

I've used the 150gr 270 cal SST to take deer or sheep from 100 out over 1000yds and have yet to be disappointed. Muzzle velocities were from 2700-3650fps with impact velocities anywhere from 2800 on down to below 1800fps, all bullets opened up and achieved adequate penetration.

What kind of 270, and load, gets 3650 fps with a 150gr?
A hot load for a 300WBY and 150's only gets you around 3500ish(+or-) and a 7mmWBY gets around 3300ish(+or-).
Did you neck nown a 7mmRUM to 277? Confused......but very intreagued........

... Maybe this is not a fair shake to the SST, but I have never seen a bonded bullet perform as poor as this no matter what I hit. Its bonded so it DOESNT seperate jacket and core. Ill be switching to the IB's, and I hope they fly as well as the SST's.

SST's are not bonded bullets, Hornady's bonded bullet is called Interbond.

SST's are not bonded bullets, Hornady's bonded bullet is called Interbond.

Wich is why I said ''maybe this is not a fair shake to the SST'' (comparing bonded to non bonded). Poor wording on my part I guess, but You wrapped the rest of the quote, you can see that I planned on swiching to IB's.(Innerbonds a.k.a. IB's) I scratched that plan and I swiched to Accubonds now and couldnt be happier. The performance of the SST kinda soured me on Hornady bullets for this caliber(270wsm). I have hered of better results with SST's in bigger caliber(.338) at a wide variety of ranges. But have no personal data on them in that cal. I will try Hornady bullets again in DIFFERENT caliber. Bigger caliber(.308+ vs. .277) and slower, maybe on my 30-06, or my .338win mag.

Last edited:
What kind of 270, and load, gets 3650 fps with a 150gr?
A hot load for a 300WBY and 150's only gets you around 3500ish(+or-) and a 7mmWBY gets around 3300ish(+or-).
Did you neck down a 7mmRUM to 277? Confused......but very intrigued........

As a matter of fact it is a 270x300Rum, so yes it's a 7mm Rum necked down. I had it built after the 300rum came out but just before the 7mm was introduced.

With a 30" barrel and some H-50BMG I was able to push the 150grainers to over 3650fps, but decided that was far enough. With WC872 I was able to achieve right at 3900fps with 135gr Matchkings, but never really like using them because seating bullets out to the lands only left about .150" of bullet shank in the case neck.

I agree, it was very intriguing but not very practical. Barrel life was less than short. If I had it all to do over again I would have built a 338x300Rum or a 338 Tomahawk.

I think thats the coolest (and craziest) wildcat Ive ever hered of! I can immagine barrel life was extremely low, but thats awesome performance with a 270! Hats off to you for giving it a go. Are you by any chance related to Kirby Allen:D sounds like you guys are from a simmilar gene pool. Lightening speed wildcats. Thanks for sharing.

Win,
I don't mean to be picky, but the SST is not "bonded" in the same since as the IB. The IB's are chemicaly bound to be one piece. The SST is an interlock system which is basicly a crimped ring that is suposed to hold the core to the jacket. That is just my $0.02 to save a little SST face.

jb

Dochawg, read post #20.

good luck finding some 162gr .284 SST's. I must have looked 10 places all sold out till June.

I have some 139's though. :)

No problemb guys. I answered in post 21. Im fully aware of the difference between the IB's and SST's. Ill try to word it better next time:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.