Experience with Ankle Fusion v Ankle Replacement Surgery

sbfireman

So I'm at point where it looks like my options might be either fusion or replacement. I dont want to stop packing up and hitting the hills, returning with a heavier pack so I'm looking for anyone with any experience to share. The surgeon says you cant tell the difference walking down the hallway post fusion - I tell him thats great but my quality of life depends on getting out and hunting (mostly California Mediterranean / Oak Savanah rollings hills with some horrible yucca slopes and the occasional billy goat trail). Haven't found anyone local that has the same requirements so I'd be grateful for anyone willing to share. Post here or DM or I can share my cell.

Some deets - 64 years old - still working (in fire) - tried previous tendon repair. Currently use Kenetrek Everstep ortho boots but also have HanWags, Whites, and Kenetrek mountain guide boots. Kifaru pack (about 35-45-ish pounds) and trekking / walking sticks

Thanks in advance all

Michael

I had my right ankle fused 9 years ago, the best thing I ever did, the only problem it causes is you tend to be flat footed and have to climb steep hills on your toes on that side. I am still hunting the same ground in Scotland I always did.
You just have to do it differently.

Ankles can be a bit tricky. I experienced a severe twist fracture many years ago. The biggest problem I have is finding a boot that is comfortable with the plates and screws that remain in the ankle.

I have a 12 inch rod up the inside of my shin bone which was held in by 6 screws the only one that caused me problem was one that was in my heal about 10 o'clock at the back, so I had it taken out under local anaesthetic.
I wear Irish Setter boots.

If you select the fusion option please carefully discuss with your surgeon NOT to fuse the ankle as it is the way God gave it to you. Please discuss the concept of 4 to 6 degree of Planter Flexion. ( Toes slightly toward the floor) This will make climbing stairs a bit easier for you. Want to see??? Try Climbing your basement stairs holding your foot exactly the way you're standing on it without moving the ankle at all. If you go Joint Replacement, please pick the surgeon who does 40 to 50 a year, not the guys who does 3 or 4 a year. Talk to your surgeon Clearly and STRESS, you are very active and you are a Hunter !! Make sure you are clear and he understands your expectations. Good luck to you my friend!!

I don't quite agree I asked the surgeon to make my ankle at 90 degrees to my shin as previously when I smashed my ankle in the mid 70s they did a lousy job of it, but it was a compound fracture and they set it slightly toe down and it caused all sorts of problems.

I don't quite agree I asked the surgeon to make my ankle at 90 degrees to my shin as previously when I smashed my ankle in the mid 70s they did a lousy job of it, but it was a compound fracture and they set it slightly toe down and it caused all sorts of problems.
Soooooo...was that 90 degrees left.... or right of your shin! I would think 90 degrees out would be better than in......otherwise....you'd always be stepping on your own foot!🤣

When I worked in the gun shop 50 years ago, we would show customers the 6 or 8 digit Batch or Lot code that used to be on the inside flap of every box of ammo. We would suggest that once they found the factory load the rifle likes , get 3 or 4 boxes of that same ammo with that same batch or lot code. Sometimes they would take our suggestion, some times they would not. We , behind the counter , were just trying to be helpful.

I am a land surveyor and my left ankle was so bad that I was walking with my foot pointing left rather than ahead. I had a ankle replacement and can now walk normal and can go up or down hill the only draw back is they told me not to run on it. Had it done in Spokane.