Experience with 6.5-06 AI on elk sized game out to 400?

Beauregard

I need to rebarrel my Tikka t3 (see other thread) and shifting between my old faithful 270 and the 6.5-06, or 6.5-06 AI. It would primarily be for my kids in their teens, so the lighter bullet might feel a bit better.

Any thoughts on this round for elk? Actual harvest experience? And if so, with what bullet?

Best,

Cedar

If your kids are gonna be shooting it and your worried about recoil put a brake on it. Ive shot Elk with the 140 Berger VLD in my 6.5x300wsm they perform just fine
I wouldn't go anything smaller than a 140.

Get a 1:7.5" twist,and you can run ALMOST any 6.5mm bullet out, with the one exception of the 138 Hammer.

A 140-156 Berger, or even up to a 160 Matrix will fly fine from the fast twist and will be plenty for elk at reasonable distances. Plus, you can still shoot a 129-130 screaming fast and not overspin them.
Just watch the 85gr varmint bullets. They might go "poof" at 3600+.

Get a 1:7.5" twist,and you can run ALMOST any 6.5mm bullet out, with the one exception of the 138 Hammer.

A 140-156 Berger, or even up to a 160 Matrix will fly fine from the fast twist and will be plenty for elk at reasonable distances. Plus, you can still shoot a 129-130 screaming fast and not overspin them.
Just watch the 85gr varmint bullets. They might go "poof" at 3600+.
The 131 gr hammer requires a1-7.5 twist and you should get 3200 plus loaded too it's potential that bullet will perform way above its weight class go 1-.7.5 twist and if you do want too shoot something besides a mono stay with a well constructed bullet and you will be fine Nosler partition for example etc The 124hammer or the 123 gr absolute would work also but the 131 gr would be hard too beat

If your kids are gonna be shooting it and your worried about recoil put a brake on it. Ive shot Elk with the 140 Berger VLD in my 6.5x300wsm they perform just fine
I wouldn't go anything smaller than a 140.
I would use a brake but I'm not a fan of the added sound they make. Thanks for the personal experience with the 6.5.

I would use a brake but I'm not a fan of the added sound they make. Thanks for the personal experience with the 6.5.
I'm not a fan either, but I dont like it when a kid gets recoil shy and gets a habit of flinching. Only hunting rifle i have one on is my 30-28 Nosler I tried it for 100 rounds without it was brutal.

We've taken a few cow elk and rags with the 6.5 Creed and PRC. While it did the job I wasn't exactly impressed. I have had much better experiences with the 270 and 1:8 twist barrel shooting the Berger 170 EOL. There's plenty of bullets out there as nobody shoots .277 anymore because it's not the uber cool long range cartridge. I can't get anything but Hammers for my 6.5's. Recoil would be indistinguishable and you would have a heavier bullet option with the same ballistics. Reloder 26 in the 270 win is very impressive. Good luck.

We've taken a few cow elk and rags with the 6.5 Creed and PRC. While it did the job I wasn't exactly impressed. I have had much better experiences with the 270 and 1:8 twist barrel shooting the Berger 170 EOL. There's plenty of bullets out there as nobody shoots .277 anymore because it's not the uber cool long range cartridge. I can't get anything but Hammers for my 6.5's. Recoil would be indistinguishable and you would have a heavier bullet option with the same ballistics. Reloder 26 in the 270 win is very impressive. Good luck.
Hey Raudy707 what was the COAL on that 170 EOL 270 Win load? I'm curious if it would work in my JC Higgins Mauser with 3.400" magbox. TIA.

That might work... I'm at 3.420 but this is long so I'm thinking you could make 3.400 work. It really likes to be close to the lands so really is going to depend on finding that sweet spot. 56.5 grains of Rldr 26 I'm pretty sure but don't have my notes was 2878 fps. 26" barrel. Someone on here has the 270 thors hammer and really gets them flying out of his 270 win. Pretty sure Berger gave me a COL of 3.395" from their data.

That might work... I'm at 3.420 but this is long so I'm thinking you could make 3.400 work. It really likes to be close to the lands so really is going to depend on finding that sweet spot. 56.5 grains of Rldr 26 I'm pretty sure but don't have my notes was 2878 fps. 26" barrel. Someone on here has the 270 thors hammer and really gets them flying out of his 270 win. Pretty sure Berger gave me a COL of 3.395" from their data.
I'll have to check the magbox again. I know I can shave off some to the front or rear of the box. I just have to see what clearance would work the best. Thanks again.