Expected accuracy from 458

kbb468

I know this is not a long rang cartridge but I am trying to put together a good load for my 458 Win Mag. it is built on a savage action with a Douglas barrel (27").
I want to make sure that I am trying for realistic results. I am using 350grn hornady round nose, Winchester cases, Winchester mag primer, and h4895. I chose this powder because of it's low pressure ratings and it also fills the case. To date I have worked up to 78.5grn with a 1.5" group at 100 yards. The max for this powder is listed as 80grn.
Is 1.5" the best to be expected or can that be improved on? If not is there any reason to increase the powder?

Thanks

Well your kind of limited to the componets for reloading for that big case , their arn't many bullet out their that are accuracy minded for the 458 Win. I would think that the limiting factor in the accuracy of that gun is going to be recoil its hard to have good shooting for and follow through with a gun that kicks the hell out of you.

I reloaded for a buddies 458 Lott its a custom built on a new CRF winchester with a 24" Pac-Nor barrel and Vias brake in a High-Tech specialties stock ,the recoil is very noticable but not overly abusive about like an unbraked light weight 30-06.

The load was 82grs of H-335loaded in a Hornady case under a 465gr A-square bullet with a velocity average of 2378fps. Accuracy from a bench rest with a PAST shooter pad would run in the 1 MOA range to 200yds. He ended up shooting a big coastal brown bear with it at just under 100yds and broke him down on the spot.

How far are you planning to shoot this thing and at what?

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on shooting pass 200 - 250 yards MAX while hunting Whitetail and the occasional boar. I want to be able to reliably place the bullet in the vitals at this range.
The recoil isn't so bad. I have it in a Boyd stock with about 2.5 - 3 pounds of lead in the stock. It weighs 11 pounds.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why use a 458WM for whitetail and boar?
I have a 416 Rigby that I'll take whitetail hunting during the second season, just because I can and because it's the only big game hunting in my area.

Stormrider,

No offense taken but your reason is pretty much the same reason I plan on using it for deer and boar when I get the opportunity. I originally want a bolt action 45-70 but the 458 was easier to do. With the 458 I used the same boltface as a 7mm rem or 300 win mag and didn't have to worry about CRF.

So I think I might pick up some H4198 to try and tighten the groups up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.