Expected 22 LR accuracy 🤷‍♂️

KJW

Welp, I started my journey down the rimfire rabbit hole today. I picked up a Ruger rpr in 22 LR a couple weeks ago. I finally made it to the range and did some shooting and playing with some different ammo brands. None of the super expensive stuff. Was more or less just getting familiar and comfortable with the rifle. My thought is to hopefully jump in some local matches and have some fun with it. I've spent most of my time loading and tinkering with big centerfire rifles so this is something different. Just curious what kind of accuracy does everyone try to strive for and at what distance? I've already learned that flyers are a SOB. 🤣🤣

Shooting a 22 is always fun. As far as pricing goes you can work your way up on ammo, the expensive stuff doesn't always shoot best. My Ruger 10-22 loves Aguila Golden Eagle Match rifle, I have a couple of bricks still so luckily I'm not to worried about running out before I can find some more. My Anchutz likes SK, Eley and Aguila Rifle Match. It also shoots RWS Rifle Match really well. CCI Green Tag has shot very well in a few rifles I've had in the past.

As far as accuracy, I like ammo that groups under a dime at 60m and under a nickel at 100m. I shoot smallbore silhouette and you need accuracy to make every shot count.

What competition are you looking to get in to?

Thanks for the response, sounds like your pretty dialed in. I haven't really decided what style of competition to focus on. I might give multiple a try to start. The NRL22 has most of my interest. My rifle is the Ruger rpr. Which I figured would be a good entry level rifle. Still have some tweaking to do to get comfortable with it. I wish there was more aftermarket options for triggers.

I have a couple of upgraded Ruger 10/22s. One is my old one from when Inwas a kid, new Kidd barrel, Anschutz stock, Kidd trigger assembly. The other is a bought Tactical Works.
I went to the local GS and bought a 50 box of 12 different brands of ammo.
Eley, Aguila, Norma, Rem, and a few others. Both of mine liked the Norma USA best. One likes the subsonic HP, the other likes the standard velocity lead points. Both are MOA @ 50yds (1/2").

Assuming you have a good barrel with a match or semi match chamber then accuracy is all about the ammo. If you send $20/50 for Eley or similar, pretty much going to shoot just fine. The real trick is to find a much less expensive ammo that shoots as good or nearly so. For target work, Federal Champion 40 grain round nose have performed excellent in a wide range of rifles.

Results will vary not just by brand but even by different lots of the same ammo. When you find a lot that shoots great buy as big a bunch as you can afford. 22 RF accuracy is the ammo. Test enough brands and lots to find the accuracy you need for different things. My hunting ammo does not group as well as my target ammo, but it kills much better due to hollow point and higher velocity. Standard velocity ammo generally groups better than HV or Hyper velocity.

Typical 50 yard ammo test -

usgP7KEh.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming you have a good barrel with a match or semi match chamber then accuracy is all about the ammo. If you send $20/50 for Eley or similar, pretty much going to shoot just fine. The real trick is to find a much less expensive ammo that shoots as good or nearly so. For target work, Federal Champion 40 grain round nose have performed excellent in a wide range of rifles.

Results will vary not just by brand but even by different lots of the same ammo. When you find a lot that shoots great buy as big a bunch as you can afford. 22 RF accuracy is the ammo. Test enough brands and lots to find the accuracy you need for different things. My hunting ammo does not group as well as my target ammo, but it kills much better due to hollow point and higher velocity. Standard velocity ammo generally groups better than HV or Hyper velocity.

Typical 50 yard ammo test -

usgP7KEh.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Good stuff

If you hear an echo, it is because I am so far down that rabbit hole. Welcome! Ammo selection is everything.

I started with 10/22 and Savage bolt actions. Upgraded to some old 22 match rifles when I purchased my home with a 300 yard range off my deck. Kept upgrading and started looking for a trainer/ repeater.

50 yards is fun and easy. Tuning and ammo selection will get you going. Sub 1/2" groups. 3/8"-1/4" very attainable off a solid bench.
100 yards starts culling rifles and ammo depending on your expectations. I expected sub 2". Achieved sub 1.5" groups with some affordable ammo.
200 yards and you start culling pretty hard. A lot will not cut the mustard. I am still trying to get 300 yards figured out. Sub 1 moa at 100 yards does not necessarily extend to 200 and 300 yards. I can get 10" groups at 300 fairly easy. Got it narrowed down to 6" groups. Ammo is frustrating.
Vudoo ordered, should take me to that next step if my abilities do not limit me.

$150 or so sounds like a lot of money for a 500 round brick of CenterX or other high quality match ammo until you compare it to 500 rounds of 223 or 6.5CM. When you cannot tell if your misses are shooter error or ammo it is time to upgrade.

Regarding the Ruger Precision Rimfire.
Excellent affordable rifle with great adjustability.
-Shoot the snot out of it. A lot of rimfire show an improvement the more they are shot. 500 rounds may cut groups. Groups may tighten up a bit again 1500-3000 rounds.
-Check the muzzle crown for burrs or damage. Make sure the thread protector stays tight. I use Teflon tape or an o ring to ensure my suppressor or thread protector doesn't back off. Happened several times with groups opening up.
-Check feeding with each ammo and each magazine. Look for bullet damage. Any scraping, gouging, or scratching of the bullet during the feeding cycle will show up as larger groups. You may need to smooth up an area in the mag or action. Seen several with burrs.
-Once you are getting consistent repeatable groups, mark your mags and start testing each mag. You may find a different group size or POI shift between magazines.
-Elfster has a YouTube vid with some bedding tips using foil tape. I didn't try it but it sounded interesting. I would wait until you wring out the rifle and know it's limitations first.

The Rabbit Hole Investment Plan may not pay off monetarily but there are returns in entertainment and ability.
Good luck and share your sport!

Some good info in this thread. I shoot NRL22 matches. They have a couple main classes. Look them up. It's alot of fun. All the same challenges of centerfire matches without the expense and time of reloading.

I could go into alot more detail, but basically, NRL22 matches goes out to 100 yards. Usually 5 stages. Most clubs will add 2-3 more stages that may go out to 200 yards. It's not a benchrest match. You shoot off buckets, prone, ladders, tires, chairs. Common stuff so you can practice.

You'll want to be able to hit a 1/4" target 35 yards. Targets typically get bigger as they get further out to about 5" or 6" at 100 yards. You don't need to be punching ragged holes in paper...

I don't tend to shoot ammo that I know would be good in competitions. So I buy SK Standard Plus for practice which runs about 9 bucks a box. For competitions I use Lapua CenterX or SK Rifle Match which both hover around the 13 bucks a box.

Eley is a good brand to and shoots a little faster. But my rifle, a RimX and Bartlien barrel aren't fond if it and jam....

After watching a 22lr PR meet at my gun club I went all in and bought/ orderd the fallowing and awaiting arrival of same:
>Tikka 20" T1X 22lr ETA B4 Friday
>Hawke 8.5-25Ă—42
>DPI one piece rail
>Warne 514 med rings
>Tikka AM slide/bolt on Beaver Tail forearm FDE
>Tikka bolt on vertical Grip FDE
>Two Tikka recoil pad spacers
>Using my factory T3 recoil pad I saved after I replaced it with a Sims Lab recoil arrestor pad to put on my T1X W/spacers to increase LOP
>Titan bolt on cheek piece FDE
>5 Spair mags
>500 Eley Match rifle
>500 Wolf Special Match
>500 Rws Match Rifle
>3k+ CCI SV
Only still waiting on my T1X to arrive at Cabelas have all else.

Last edited:
After watching a 22lr PR meet at my gun club I went all in and bought/ orderd the fallowing and awaiting arrival of same:
>Tikka 20" T1X 22lr ETA B4 Friday
>Hawke 8.5-25Ă—42
>DPI one piece rail
>Warne 514 med rings
>Tikka AM slide/bolt on Beaver Tail forearm FDE
>Tikka bolt on vertical Grip FDE
>Two Tikka recoil pad spacers
>Using my factory T3 recoil pad I saved after I replaced it with a Sims Lab recoil arrestor pad to put on my T1X W/spacers to increase LOP
>Titan bolt on cheek piece FDE
>5 Spair mags
>500 Eley Match rifle
>500 Wolf Special Match
>500 Rws Match Rifle
>3k+ CCI SV
Only still waiting on my T1X to arrive at Cabelas have all else.
Order the trigger spring kit while you are waiting. Just do it!

Welp, I started my journey down the rimfire rabbit hole today. I picked up a Ruger rpr in 22 LR a couple weeks ago. I finally made it to the range and did some shooting and playing with some different ammo brands. None of the super expensive stuff. Was more or less just getting familiar and comfortable with the rifle. My thought is to hopefully jump in some local matches and have some fun with it. I've spent most of my time loading and tinkering with big centerfire rifles so this is something different. Just curious what kind of accuracy does everyone try to strive for and at what distance? I've already learned that flyers are a SOB. 🤣🤣
My Tikka T1x squirrel rifle at 50 yards benched.CCI Velocitor all came together 2lb trigger 6x18x44 Vortex Vbrite scope.

Attachments

• dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 98
Dang! You guys are getting great results from rimfire.
Here is selection of different rimfire I shot from my Winchester 52B @50 yds. It's a great example of finding what it likes.
My H&R Model 12 is more accurate but it currently has globe sights on it.
Aguila Super X Hi Vel and CCI Blazer work well in that rifle.

Attachments

• .22 LR ammo test Win 52B.jpg
    .22 LR ammo test Win 52B.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
I like to aim for holding 1 moa or less out too 200 yards. Not always the case but it's what we go for. Meaning 1/2" or better at 50 and is normally the case. 1" or better at 100, starts to be come the challenge playing with wind but still totally possible, 2" at 200 and as long as I do my part and read environmentals properly I can keep this true. I regularly shoot to 300 but haven't mastered that. Lots of great groups but not something I can generally repeat.

17F5BE7F-D9B5-4AB6-8FF1-904E2847B938.jpeg
348BC6F9-FA05-4C8C-BFA2-8C2AB862725F.jpeg
AF07E0FF-E363-4039-B7CA-E911082EA777.jpg
90035616-4828-44B5-91FD-E965D02A3738.jpeg
F89D83A8-024D-4661-819C-834E9F1B1F7B.jpeg

the two at the bottom at at 50 yards