Expansion velocity for 212 ELDX

catorres1

Does anyone have any experience with what the minimum expansion velocity is for the 212 ELDX? I Have been told by Hornady 2000, 1800 and perhaps 1700 from three different techs. Lots of different suppositions out there, but hoping some folks can tell from real world use or at least long range testing.

Thanks!

Funny. I have heard 2000, 1800, 1300. But, since I can't get them to fly well in any of my rifles, I just don't shoot them. Only 3 rifles out of 20 or so I have tried any of them in shot them really well. Two were 6.5 CMs w. the 143 ELD-X, and one 7RM w. 175 ELD-X.

Funny. I have heard 2000, 1800, 1300. But, since I can't get them to fly well in any of my rifles, I just don't shoot them. Only 3 rifles out of 20 or so I have tried any of them in shot them really well. Two were 6.5 CMs w. the 143 ELD-X, and one 7RM w. 175 ELD-X.

I've had good luck with the 145 ELDX factory stuff for my son's 270, and both the 200 and 212 out of my 300.

Kills have been quick and impressive but the data sample has been small and rather unimpressive.

So I am trying to get an idea of just how far it's good for in terms of hunting, and getting a consistent answer has, so far, been quite hard!

I have been shooting them for a couple years and was under the impression it was 1800. I think I read that somewhere on their website but can't seem to find it now so I could be wrong. This is all I can find supporting that number.

Attachments

• 0410181915.jpg
    0410181915.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 222
I have been shooting them for a couple years and was under the impression it was 1800. I think I read that somewhere on their website but can't seem to find it now so I could be wrong. This is all I can find supporting that number.
Yeah, considering what is on the box here, you have to be right that the number is as low as 1800. Last night, I did find a video where someone shot a red deer in NZ with an impact velocity of 1690. It was hit, IIRC, behind the shoulder....entrance and exit looked like every ELDX entrance and exit I have seen so far....about a 1" exit hole. They looked like the same ones I have personally seen, as well as those in pix from Panhandle Precisions shots. Interestingly, his shots were from 250 to 850 IIRC, and I think they all looked about the same, but not sure I am remembering that.
Anyway, it seems like 1800 for sure, 1700 probably....

Thanks for the pointer...read all 5 pages. I'm box limited, so I don't have to worry about pressure going up as Im nowhere close to the lands. As for expansion, everything we have shot has looked the same...nice big exit, my guess is he got a bad batch...which I have had in other bullets before.

What does concern me is there might be velocity changes due to being seated ever so slightly deeper in the case if the bullet is long...though it sounds like it is small enough variance that it won't matter in that sense.

That said, while I check my powder lots, I did not realize bullets were also so effected...though now that I think of it, I did have to adjust my seater ever so slightly to get the last box of bullets to still fit in my mag box....so looks like I'll need to pay atttention to bullet lots too and buy a bunch from the same lot at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.