EXO Mountain Gear backpack

Ronin75

Anyone out there who has actually used one of these backpacks. I 've read about them but not from anyone who has actually hauled out meat with one or used one in the field.
Any feedback would be appreciated

Check over on rockslide.com a lot of good reviews on the pack. I just ordered the 3500 but I won't have it until February or so.

You can pm mtnrunner on here. And search his posts. He did a great review and lots of pictures. Looks like a great pack

I hunted with one this year. I have the 3500. It's a great pack and very comfortable. I hauled out 2 deer with it. It can haul more than I can carry that's for sure. And it's compact enough for day hunting.

After one season with my 3500 I couldn't be happier. Super light, great comfort, and no sign of wear yet. I hear this years model will even have a few improvements. Their accessories work great too.

I haven't hauled any meat with my 3500 but have spent a lot of time backpacking with it loaded with 50 pounds is a breeze. This pack is the greatest pack I have ever used. Super comfortable and very well built.

We'll have final production samples next week and we'll be getting pics and videos done as fast as we can. The following week is the Salt Lake Hunt Expo so we'll do our best to get those up before we leave for the show.

Some of the major changes:

Changed to a tubular titanium frame instead of solid. The frame itself dropped 5oz! We tested them all of last year and they are bombproof.
Same floating lid on the 3500 that was on the 5500 last year
Still have the option though to move the front lid compression straps up and have it function like the reverse lid
The shoulder harness is a more dense foam (same as belt but 1/2") and is completely redesigned to eliminate any squeak
Eliminated all of the locking (wave lock) 3/4" ladder locks except where the bag attaches to the frame
The frame panel has 3 more added aluminum cross stays to add rigidity to it
Got rid of all the 70d material in the pack. We didn't have any durability issues but in extreme cold it got pretty noisy. We now use a much tougher and quieter 420d Diamond Ripstop.
The bag itself is pretty much unchanged. We did add the option to add interior pockets with a pretty unique velcro attachment system. You can get up to (4) of our 8" mesh pockets in there now.

There are probably 50 other minor changes that we have implemented. With a full year of pack production under our belt and another year of testing/ prototyping we are continuing to improve on the pack.

We don't have final weight specs but it should be a few ounces lighter, most of that coming from the weight savings of the frame. With the added cross stays in the frame panel and floating lid we gained a few ounces there.

The pre-order list has been growing rapidly, we will start shipping packs in 3 weeks but at this point it will be later in March until we are caught up. After that we are really hoping to have plenty of packs in stock and shipping daily.

Steve

This is from the owner of the company himself.

I would highly recommend the EXO pack. Great features and super comfortable---I used it last year and hauled out quite a few animals. I have the 3500 and it is plenty big enough for a 5 or so day hunt. I usually hunt the high country for a couple of days, go back down, regroup and head back up and it fits that niche nicely along with making a great day pack. I'm a pretty easy guy to please and if I had to say anything negative, it would be:
Not real crazy about the reverse top lid. Not that big a deal but it would be better for me if it was the traditional style.
And the slide buckles have "teeth" in them which make them difficult for the webbing to slide. I know some other guys which have just filed them down and they say it works wonders.

Great company and great pack. MADE IN THE USA!

Randy

Its a great pack and like others have said, it will haul as much as you can stand. Mine went from a comfortable day pack to a comfortable meat hauler twice in the mountains last fall.

I think the new lid option will improve an already awesome pack. It sure doesn't hurt that the customer service is outstanding either.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.