Exercise for arthritic knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Len I have it in my back and hips, a couple things help but consistency is key. Eating right (God made, not man - EVERYTHING) reduces inflammation of everything. Then I add Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Turmeric, fish oil (all have to be highly digestible not chemical based) then move. Bike, swim, pilates, yoga, low impact flexibility exercises. I do some follow along pilates on YouTube, helps me anyway. Good luck!

You are welcome Dean.A close friend back in Louisiana was told he needed new knee's to relieve his pain and made a visit to Montana to visit my wife and I and he asked what I take for knee pain and told him about Boron.He started taking it while on his trip and he felt like after a couple of days he too found relief.Now a regular user of Boron he has given up on the new knee idea and says he is fine.
I can't count the folks that have started taking it and love it.If your knees are totally shot with no cartlidge left it may not work as well but if there is a little left it can work wonders.
Have a great day.
I wonder if boron works just as well on shoulder joints.

I wonder if boron works just as well on shoulder joints.
In the States it is 6 bucks for 100. From the extensive research I did there are no side effects and no obviuos interfernece or contra indications with any other medications. Only issue was if you have Kidney issues you may want to consult your doctor before taking Boron. Well worth a try in my books. I am amazed that something as simple as Boron has made this big a difference in my knee.

I will admit no time to read through all the responses, so if it's here already apologies for the duplicate info. Glucosamine supplements WITH MSM are highly suggested. I personally take it every night, after 20+ yrs in automotive laboring fields and can honestly say I feel the difference (especially when you stop taking). I found an article a couple years ago I need to find again. A well known actor had been out of work for a decade due to his arthritis, within 3 months of starting taking them he was back to work. That's pretty impressive by itself. My chiropractor tried it out on his aging dog, with equivalent effectiveness.

In the States it is 6 bucks for 100. From the extensive research I did there are no side effects and no obviuos interfernece or contra indications with any other medications. Only issue was if you have Kidney issues you may want to consult your doctor before taking Boron. Well worth a try in my books. I am amazed that something as simple as Boron has made this big a difference in my knee.

I had both knees replaced already, my orthopedic quack suggests that I need to schedule shoulder starting with the left. In all fairness to him, I consulted with two other quacks including one in the VA hospital they all sugget replacement. The thing now, I could not even hold my arms at arms level. Working overhead is a no go.

So sorry to hear that Bamban.Getting older stinks with all the pains and problems and to have shoulder problems like that just stinks.
In countries where Boron is plentiful in the soil arthritis is almost never a problem but here we have depleted the soil of many minerals and suffer is what the older lady told me.Hey give it a try as it's cheap and gives me relief in my knee's and hips.
I also take MSM but it alone did nothing for my hips but with Boron I can walk ok but not for miles and miles anymore.
I will hunt this year and if I get an elk it will be an elk that is tired of living and going the long way around.
My last bottle of Boron was around 6.00 so its an inexpensive thing to try.

308plinkerVT that's a great endorsement.If one brand don't work for you try another brand.
The one that works for me is from Costco,others may have helped some but with 8 back surgeries I will never be like I was in my 20's-50's.
I had stopped taking it for a almost a year and felt pain was creeping back in so I got some more and take it every day.With the boron both get through each day.

I have arthritis in my lower spine (Injury), hands (too many fights), and one ankle (Injuries). I begin my diet and exercise preparing for hunting season every year after the July 4th BBQ season.
What works for me is to ditch the processed sugar (which is in just about everything), reduce salt / sodium intake, take a daily multivitamin with magnesium, and keep moving. Walking and exercising helps me even if it hurts while I am doing it. If I need to get across the property and my ATV is too easy, I walk. It makes a difference.
I also have a prescription for Diclofenac Sodium cream (Voltaren) which I think is over the counter now which helps me tremendously.

So sorry to hear that Bamban.Getting older stinks with all the pains and problems and to have shoulder problems like that just stinks.
In countries where Boron is plentiful in the soil arthritis is almost never a problem but here we have depleted the soil of many minerals and suffer is what the older lady told me.Hey give it a try as it's cheap and gives me relief in my knee's and hips.
I also take MSM but it alone did nothing for my hips but with Boron I can walk ok but not for miles and miles anymore.
I will hunt this year and if I get an elk it will be an elk that is tired of living and going the long way around.
My last bottle of Boron was around 6.00 so its an inexpensive thing to try.

Yes, sir. The things we did in our youth sometimes we pay a heavy price as we get older. I am 69 this year. Late 60s, early 70s six years in the dojo with endless sessions on the makiwara may have contributed to some of my problems.

The other factor to treat Asthma flare ups, I have to take heavy dosage of Prednisone. Y'all aware the double edge sword Prednisone is.

As I read through this thread I can clearly see how many trusted knowledgeable and worn out folks we have here.
Some are younger than me and some may be older but we all have a passion for the same things.
Hang in there guys.I expect FEENIX is already doing things the doctor said not to do which means he is healing up just fine.
All posts are a value to everyone,keep on keeping on!

I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.
Len, "Bad knees" is a big topic because there are multiple sources for the pain, such as arthritis, degenerated cartilate, injury to internal structures such as the cruciate ligaments or a meniscus.

"Arthritis" refers to inflammation around a joint, and is initially treated with NSAID drugs (Aleve, Ibuprofen).
Physical therapy is valuable too, to preserve motion.

Degenerated cartilage is another (worse) story. My orthopedist told me activity and exercise won't hasten or improve it.
He was able to draw fluid off and inject a steroid, which gave me (only) a month of absolute relief. There are other "biologic agents" that can be injected as well. Ultimately, I am facing bilateral total knee replacements. But I don't think I'm there yet, and definitely want to delay that operation until my Dall sheep hunt, which is only a year away now.

The internal structural injuries can usually be fixed by arthroscopic surgery, with excellent results.

Since I'm not an orthopedist, the above information is only worth what you paid for it.
But we do seem to have a number of ortho's on the forum, judging from previous posts.
Thanks guys.

Since I started serious hill climb hiking in the off-season 2 years ago a MIRACLE has happened.

My knees are almost a total non-issue in my ability to hunt the mountains on foot or on horse.
How do your knees feel when DESCENDING? I find that is what hurts the most for my degenerated cartilages.
Do you use trekking poles? I've read reviews where some people report they really help the knees when descending.
I haven't tried it yet.

I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.
Swimming Great exercise low impact no weight on the joints involved

More on this knee topic later this year....

But it looks like I will complete 2021 with over 250 miles of western mountain and Grand Canyon backpacking...with these same knees...14 years after my right knee was scoped.

Also, my application was just approved for a Rim to Rim to Rim trip in the Grand Canyon!

Status
Not open for further replies.