Exercise for arthritic knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie, you're so right. Most suffer too long and finally give in. Then wonder why they waited so long. I'm one.
Nerka

You are so right, like riding a dirt bike or motor cycle, it's not that you are going to crash, but rather when.

Really Len: Need to take a good look at replacement, as when they are worn out it's like a barrel that shot out, only fix is to replace.

Really Len: Need to take a good look at replacement, as when they are worn out it's like a barrel that shot out, only fix is to replace.

Except since I started last year's hill climb training program, my knees feel better than when they were 35 years old.

Len:Right on , keep up the exercise program as it does help to have good muscle in the legs to help the knees , hips and ankles.

You are so right, like riding a dirt bike or motor cycle, it's not that you are going to crash, but rather when.

Nerka again: Cannot emphasize exercise enough, both before and post surgery. I'm hoping you find it not necessary to do a replacement. Xrays are a must if you have constant discomfort. It's simple and will hasten your Rx one way or another. If you're not bone on bone, therapy to build your quadriceps is a must an also long slow distance. I speak as one who has some considerable knowledge of joint disease and injury all be it on horses and canines.

I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.

Len,
Have you looked into rooster comb injections? My knees bother me descending hills / mountains / stairs / running etc. and my orthopedic doctor is recommending these injections. He says my knees are not arthritic but just need fluid / lubricant. I will post results once I have a result of the injections.

coyotezapper.

I'll keep in mind the rooster comb but for now I am happy to say:

Except since I started last year's hill climb training program, my knees feel better than when they were 35 years old.

Len,
Have you looked into rooster comb injections? My knees bother me descending hills / mountains / stairs / running etc. and my orthopedic doctor is recommending these injections. He says my knees are not arthritic but just need fluid / lubricant. I will post results once I have a result of the injections.[/QUOTE

Coyote zapper

When I was looking to find relief for knee pain I tried everything, rooster comb injections , all type of injection found that it only masked the problem for a period of several week. But I always came back to same problem. During a sheep hunt in Alaska , 21 day back pack hunt it was living hell for the last 7 days. Injection are just snake oil, didn't resolve problem. After having knees replaced , I took a 10 day pacific crest trail hike , no pain.
With a 45 pound pack. So my suggestion is get those knees replaced if you want to enjoy the outdoors hikes, hunt or what ever. Just my $.02 worth.

Charlie

I am not a Dr, but my last job consisted of reviewing medical charts and assigning disabilities for the VA. I was in daily contact with some of our Drs for advice. From rereading your entries, I gather that the only diagnosis you have is for arthritis, as I do, and that you are 62 years old. When I was that age, my wife and I went on a 10 day, backpacking, Dall's sheep hunt in the NW Territories. On one of those days, we got up at sunrise (2AM), hiked all day, and set up camp at sunset (10 PM). I am now 71, and still hike and hunt the mountains of Mt.
My regimen is to take 2 tabs of "Move Free" in the AM (plus 1 in PM when hunting), wear a knee brace, and use a walking stick. The stick is for balance, and to slow you down when going downhill.
My advice for you is to see your Dr for a referral to PT. He will also be the one to tell you the proper time for surgical intervention, as long as he is not knife-happy. The physical therapist needs the diagnosis to be able to give you the proper therapy. There are many different types of knee injuries, and some therapies may not be appropriate for you.
The last piece of advice, and most important, is to buy a Versatile Hunting Dog, walk it daily, and hunt it often . I suggest a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, as my bitch works slow and close, and holds a good point.
Good luck,
George

The last piece of advice, and most important, is to buy a Versatile Hunting Dog, walk it daily, and hunt it often . I suggest a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, as my bitch works slow and close, and holds a good point.
Good luck,
George

I kind of did the same thing except I got a Drahthaar to get me going again.

Len I hope things continue to get better for you.

I just finished an article in the 5/11/15 issue of "The New Yorker" magazine about medical treatment, and improper referrals. Very enlightening.

George

I run an Orthopaedic practice. Joint pain is one of our most common complaints.

My docs say "If it hurts, don't do it." That's great if your hobby is full contact karate, but not so helpful if you love the outdoors.

The biggest factor in dealing with pain is an individual's willingness to behavior modification. Lots of our patients come to us, complain that their knee is killing them, but they walk around with an extra 50 lbs on them. Be realistic with yourself about your physical condition, your abilities, and what you want to do. If your knee is killing you, you are 50 lbs overweight, have no physical conditioning program, that 14 day mountain goat hunt probably isn't the best idea.

Flexibility is huge. Can you touch your toes? Any low impact exercises on a regular basis? Decent diet or beer and wings?

If your knee or hip hurts, get an X-ray. A 2 view series can show any damage to the articular joint surface. If the cartridge is gone and you have bone-on-bone grinding, a joint replacement is the only thing that will help.

If there is partial cartilage thinning or you have other arthritic damage, there are things one can do to decrease pain. Flexibility is big. An appropriate body weight is very helpful. Hyaluronic acid injections (Synvisc, Euflexxa, etc) help some people, but are not guaranteed to work. Surgeons are skeptical of non traditional remedies, but that doesn't mean that some non traditional remedies won't work, ie copper.

How much your condition is directly related to what you are willing to do to make your self better before going under the knife.

Probably everyone should lose weight . Not as much as me (100) but some. From experience, take gluco/msm and exercise. Iwas walking 4 miles a day before I learned that shorter steps lead to less pain. Then I added magnetic knee supports. the kind with 25 magnets on each knee. Less pain. Copper bracelets. Less pain. The last addition has been collagen hydrolysate. Practically pain free.
I've taken chelated copper for about five years in hope the body may reconstruct some of the joint material. Haven't had a look back inside to see but it stopped clicking. I did not get much support from doctors on the supps or magnets as they seem to believe that those "are not science"
Hope there is something you can use
John

Status
Not open for further replies.