exciting cartridges

The .223 with 55 grain class bullets is not exciting, agreed. But, using the same .223 with a 75g eld at 2950+ will sway the excitement back into the .223's favor.

I'm looking to build a whole new gun here. If I wanted to stay In the .224 diameter I would go with a 220 swift which would do some spectacular work out to longer ranges should I ever wise up and hunt in the open like normal coyote hunters. I have experimented and intend to continue experimenting with my .223 loads, for now I really like my 72 grain barnes tsx loads, they leave a clean consistent small hole on most shots that are easy to sew and they penetrate well enough I can take shots at any angle. One thing I really like about them is that they pack plenty of punch if I happen to call a lion in.

Seems like you have a high velocity low .bc combo with the 72 grain barnes. If you are going to extend your range, the .223 with a 75g+ bullet will out perform your 72g barnes past the 400 yard mark.

A 250ai would be really cool in my opinion. Great brass available by necking up Lapua 22-250. Enough good bullets for anything you would want a 25 to do. Can double as a light deer rifle as well. The 25 calibers have held an interest to me for some time. Is it a varmint gun? Is it a big game rifle? Yes.

I'll look into the .250ai some more I see some potential advantages to going larger bore rather than smaller, especially if I go with a shorter barrel. I dont really need another deer gun, I'm really more into an idealized pelt collecting rifle.

Exciting cartridge?

That would be my Savage wearing a 25 bore savage original tube reamed out to 257 STW. Now that is pizzaz!

Turns a hide into shredded blown dried strips and will not fit into that model 7 though.

Leave the seven as is and test bullets until you get a real burning desire to change it.

For a different cartridge that does fit and goes by a different drum beat the 20 Practical comes to mind. One pass on a 556 or 223 case and waa la! You have a 20 Practial casing!

I like the 204 Ruger but it can be hard on hides but there are lots of bullets to try and all I have used is the 32 gr V Max because I just kill 'otes and do not mess with the hides generally.

Three44s

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.