exciting cartridges

......If you were going to build a coyote gun for <250 yard work with pelt preservation in mind, what would you go for? What if you were inclined to build it in a fun different caliber?.........

It's about bullets-not so much cartridges.

Hammer has been play with a "bullet for hides", the front deforms a bit without the splat factor, and more expansion than an FMJ. They started loading it for jackals in Africa.

Not sure what they have it in. Now that they've got caught up on other things I would call them, and start with a bullet, and work backwards.

I believe the model 7 is a .223 currently.
I would just leave it a 223. I have a 223 that has been my go to coyote gun for years. Others, including 204, 22-250, 220 swift, 243, 25-06 etc have come and gone, but the 223 remains in my safe. I shoot the 53gr vmax and dont think I have blown up a single pelt.

The 17-204 is a good one. Your max range of 250 will be accommodated by almost anything you chamber it in. If you are planning on a fast twist .223, I would shy from the 75g eld if pelt preservation is what you want.

I used a Rem M700 Classic in .17 Rem for Yotes for many years it was deadly, if they were 0-300 yards there was no escaping the .17 it killed them ZAP!, shot at almost any angle. I loved the caliber; in that, I was shooting a lot of the Yotes off calving cattle in the winter'..., early Feb. The factory 25gr load from Remington was hard to beat, it took a while but I managed to duplicate their load with their 25gr Rem bullet, primer and case it was very accurate.

I agree with predatorslayer, you already have an excellent cartridge, do a thorough bore cleaning, check the twist, pick an appropriate bullet and go to town on 'em.

Expanding the case head is definitely doable, my brother is my smith and will work cheap enough that I'm not super concerned about extra work. That being said most of the cartridges that seem like good options are pretty much .221 based anyhow. The .20 vartarg seems like a fun set up, enough extra weight in the bullet to get some penetration with the right bullet, while not being a barrel burner like the .204 ruger, or pushing bullets at pelt shredding velocity. it shouldnt require as long of a barrel as the ruger either.

Several of the hotter .17s look like good choices .17 fireball .17 rem ect. but as of right now research seems to indicate the .17s are more fouling prone, and often times harder on throats while being ballistically pretty close to the vartarg

I get that the .223 is a great round, that's why I already own one. but if having a gun that's good enough was the point no one would ever buy more than a shotgun a pistol and maybe 2 rifles and the only rifle cartridges available would be .223 and 7 mag. I am not considering building a new gun because I need one, but because I like trying new stuff. If I was out looking for my first or only predator rifle I would seriously consider the .223 maybe opting for .220 swift and taking my chances with hides. I believe many of these other smaller bore cartridges are perfectly capable of producing ethical clean kills in the same manner as the
.223 while potentially proving more well suited in some situations. Especially given my comparitavely short range hunting style. If the only difference proves to be that I find myself able to b.s. about my .17 fireball, and I get to spend a few dozen hours working up new loads for a fun little gun, that's enough for me.

I am not a fan of bulky rifles, my hunting style takes me a long way in stupid places and through brush I have no buisiness being in. As such I am a fan of more compact rifles. Do any of you have experience with .20 vartarg or .17 fireballesque cartridges on 20 inch or less barrels? Were you still satisfied with velocities? Do you remember any of the numbers, bullet weight, barrel length, muzzle velocity ect?

If bullet selection was still there I'd say 17-204. Since it's not I'd go 204 ruger 35 grain berger

It's probably best to stay with the same size case head, otherwise bolt head mod's will be required.
Both 223 & 204 are great cartridges...but the 223 could hardly be called 'exciting.'
The 204 is exciting
The .223 with 55 grain class bullets is not exciting, agreed. But, using the same .223 with a 75g eld at 2950+ will sway the excitement back into the .223's favor.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.