Excessive Headspace.....for reference.

So, I got a call from a Remlin representative today. She asked me whether to send the rifle (once fixed) to my home address or the local gun store where I bought it (shop owner felt bad and took care of shipping for me). I told her to just ship it back to me. She said, "That's probably the best thing to do because if we have to CHANGE THE SERIAL NUMBER on the rifle you would have to pay the shop owner another transfer fee". I didn't really know how to respond to that.......:confused:

Means if fixing it more means replacing it than fixing. They tried to do this with a 700 BDL in 25-06 that was out of alignment. They tried to not deal with it and send us a new gun. We had already pillar'd And bedded the the stock and had a new trigger installed. They ended up rebarreling it and, supposedly, truing the action. Don't know what they actually did but it shoots pretty well now.

Gotcha! Well, according to the link I was provided the current status of the repair is "Repairing". Last week It was on a "parts hold" status....

Repair of manufactured goods these days usually means sending a replacement rather than repair. Repair means they have to take it apart, find the problem, fix it, then find any other problems and fix those too. It's an expense for them requiring their more senior people to burn labor hours that they'd just as soon avoid. Sending a new gun will cost them less money in the end and be just as likely to return a working product.

I know a few people that work(ed) in major gun maker factories and the tales you hear from those guys would curl your toes. Cheater bars to set headspace, hand files where a lathe might be appropriate, etc...

Good luck. I'm sure it'll come back working fine. Shame you had the issue to begin with. The prior owner almost certainly knew about it and instead of dealing with the issue he kicked the can down the road. Super unethical. If I buy a busted one, I'd at least have it fixed before passing the problem down the road.

Okay fellas....status went from "repairing" to "inspected" to "shipped"...as of yesterday (Wednesday). We'll soon see what she says.....

Rifle arrived today. They put a new barrel on it and I swear they made the trigger even heavier than it was before. On the first couple shots I actually had to check and see if I'd forgotten to take the safety off. BUT, the fired primers look like they should and the accuracy from the new barrel is what one would expect from a Marlin lever-gun. I'm good with it.
20180906_201832.jpg
20180906_201449.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.