Exbal ????

bigbuck

To obtain the most accurate Average MV for say my NF program , what would you reccomend ? What is the best way you have found. to get the AV?

Thanks BigBuck

Get an idea of velocity and enter it in the exbal program. Sight in at where you want your zero lets say 100. Then shoot a group at 700 yards using the recommended elevation. Measure the distance high or low of the center of your group at seven hundred. Then go to " Tradjectory Validation" and input this info. and hit apply. The program will adjust your muzzle velocity to match your 700 yard point of impact. Then test it at a few other distances to see if it is on. I find that it is better to be off 1 moa or so at 300 than to be off 1 moa at 1000. So consentrate on the higher distances.

Jeff gun)gun)

Get an idea of velocity and enter it in the exbal program. Sight in at where you want your zero lets say 100. Then shoot a group at 700 yards using the recommended elevation. Measure the distance high or low of the center of your group at seven hundred. Then go to " Tradjectory Validation" and input this info. and hit apply. The program will adjust your muzzle velocity to match your 700 yard point of impact. Then test it at a few other distances to see if it is on. I find that it is better to be off 1 moa or so at 300 than to be off 1 moa at 1000. So consentrate on the higher distances.

Jeff gun)gun)

Thanks Broz.

So would it be good to take my chrony and shoot a 10 shot string to find my average MV . then do it like you have suggested above ?
I didn't mention in my thread but all i have is the Pocket PC version so will it let me do what you are suggesting/

BigBuck

Yes, the pda version of the NF program is what I use. A few across a chrony to average will get you close. I would only use 3 to 5 then average. Then do the tradjectory validation. 700 is a good number to start. Then I check it at 1000. Like I said above if it is not on dead nuts I feel it is better to be off a small amount at the clser distances the a larger amount at the long shots. You can also play with the bullet BC to try to fine tune to your program.

Jeff

Yes, the pda version of the NF program is what I use. A few across a chrony to average will get you close. I would only use 3 to 5 then average. Then do the tradjectory validation. 700 is a good number to start. Then I check it at 1000. Like I said above if it is not on dead nuts I feel it is better to be off a small amount at the clser distances the a larger amount at the long shots. You can also play with the bullet BC to try to fine tune to your program.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff , The reason i posted this thread was because last hunting season I had shot out to 500 with my NF program it worked fine out to 500 then I moved out to a dirt bank @ 1100 yrds but it had been raining the day before when i dialed up and settled in the gun went off and no dust . i couldn't get to the bank to verify by looking at the ground were I hit . So I tried it again @ 839 yrds on my hunting club this time i used a sheet of metal that come off an old barn to verify my drops I nailed the windage but I was every bit of 14 inches higher than my bulls eye . I want to get this down so I can atleast stay in a 8x11 sheet of office paper:) I appreciate your help.
BigBuck

Jeff,

Why come when using Exbal and trajectory validation the differences between actual and projected POIs put the drop chart spot to beyond 1K.

However, the bc never changed. The MV kept changing but was at least 400 FPS below chono measured? What's with that?

Seeing as how the objective is to hit what one is shooting at, I don't really mind but is bothersome as something in the universe is a bit off plumb.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Roy

I am in no way an expert with all this stuff. This is simply the way I have found it to be affective for me and the method I use. I always test the program with real world shooting to see if it is on and know where the limitations of me, my rifle and program are. If you need answered about why o how a program works I would ask Eaglet. He is "The Man" when it comes to computers and numbers..:)

I am a simple minded shooter...:D gun)gun)

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.