I have exbal for a dell axim pocket pc. I have been reading quite a bit about
what data to plug in from my kestral into exbal. To get station pressure from
kestral i use 0 for the reference altitude. I have read that for most ballistic
software that you use either corrected pressure and the altitude, or zero out
the altitude and use station pressure. I have read that using station pressure
and 0 altitude is the most accurate way to use ballistic software. However i
have read that with exbal you need to enter station pressure as well as
altitude. Is this true, and if so why would this work? wouldn't this be way
off? So with this program, when would i check the "calculate standard pressure" box? Also why is it that it wont let you type in data sometimes depending on other data you filled in. Sometimes it fills stuff in for you and wont let you change it. Can someone just explain to me how to use exbal with a kestral please? I tried emailing perry systems but the email said it couldn't be delivered. Does anyone have an updated email address or phone number for them? Thank you for all the help.

I was also unable to contact Gerald with the old e-mail information and I've misplaced his phone number unfortunately.

I've got the Dell Axim with the program on it and also the PC version on this computer.

You can 0 alititude and input station pressure. I've done it with the 6LD, it makes about 1" difference in drop at 800 yds with keeping everything else the same. I've only tried it on the PC version, so try it on the compact and see how the results change if any.

One thing I noticed between the PC and pocket version, is that the pocket version need 1/2" less station pressure for the drops to be identical at ELR, again with everything else identical. They must use different atmosphere models.?

So by using 0 for altitude and entering the station pressure, will this work for the sight in vs field conditions? So if I enter 0 alt. and 28.83 and 60 degrees for sight in and save it. Then when I get to the "field" location enter 0 alt. 26.73" HG and 30 degrees, when i get the drop chart, it will already be shown with the modification because of different conditions than sight in? Is this right, because i read somewhere that with exbal you enter the altitude as well as the station pressure because that is what they use for the sight in vs field conditions.

thanks

So by using 0 for altitude and entering the station pressure, will this work for the sight in vs field conditions? So if I enter 0 alt. and 28.83 and 60 degrees for sight in and save it. Then when I get to the "field" location enter 0 alt. 26.73" HG and 30 degrees, when i get the drop chart, it will already be shown with the modification because of different conditions than sight in? Is this right, because i read somewhere that with exbal you enter the altitude as well as the station pressure because that is what they use for the sight in vs field conditions.

thanks

Sorry, cant offer much help on that one. I load, sight in, practice and hunt all at the same altitude so I've never played with the sight in vs field conditions portion.

EDIT:

Just tried it on the PC version and makes the appropriate changes. It also exports those results into the spreadsheet.
Based on that, I don't know why it wouldn't work on the pocket version. Again, just try it and see what happens.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.