Exbal vs other programs - recommendations

drpbroun5

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a ballistic program to use in the field while hunting. I don't have any experience with any of these programs. Please give me the pros and cons with Exbal, The Reloaders Archive program, and others available - with comparisons. Is there any difference in the Palm version and the pocket PC one? What about transfering data back and forth with a desktop and the handheld? What pitfalls do I need to know about in using these? I understand there is something that I need to know regarding barometric pressures that are used. What is this all about? Can I just use density altitude fron my Kestrel 4000? If so, then what other enviro values do I use (I assume standard values should be entered)? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks all.
Paul

I just got Nightforce Ballistic software...(Exbal based) I know it is available for your palm... go to their website and it tells about it...

I am on the learning curve myself... but real happy with it... printed out 2 drop charts and some wind drift info.

So does anyone have exbal for a pc or palm they want to give me? I'm an engineer and have access to al sorts of software so if I can help anyone in that department let me know.

There is a free download for Palm Here. It works well, not quite as well as Exbal though. It is a good start.

When you open the zip file be sure to delete everything that ends in .rus unless you prefer to read everything in Russian.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand there is something that I need to know regarding barometric pressures that are used. What is this all about?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the advantages of TRA is that if you check the station pressure option, other fields dissapear to eliminate confusion. At that point you just enter the raw pressure. No altitude to set at 0 ect...Pressure and altitude can easily confuse shooters. When to set altitude to 0' when to enter actual, when to enter sea level pressure, when to enter raw presure etc....TRA helps eliminate these confusions. This is exactly why I designed it this way. Another advantage is the trajectory adjustments for head winds and tail winds whether they are full on 3 or 9 oclock or anything between these and 12 and 6 oclock. Spin drift values are also optional. The latest also allows drops out to 4000 yards with any zero. Another big advantage is being able to adjust your drag model in .001 increments instead of using fixed models such as G1, G5, and G7 ect...This allows shooters to be able to match their real world data much more closely. I have also completed a calculator for use on any handheld that runs excel. Its not as fancy as others but gives as accurate of data as the reloaders archive desk top program. Also it doesnt give you a huge chart. You enter the range to target and it gives you one figure in inches, clicks, MOA's, MILLS and NPR2 bars. In a hunting situation, this is better as it leaves less to be confuse with. A long drop chart is just plain fancy crap hunters dont need. Its not that it cant be done, I started out with a full on drop table and eliminated it for simplicity. Leave the fancy programs for a more calm enviornment. The best part about it is that from here on, it comes free with TRA.

The current trial is still somewhat outdated and shuts down unexpectedly. In about another week or so, a smoother trial will be uploaded with the latest version that includes meters and a host of other improvments. The latest version is already available, just setting it up as a trial is more labor intensive and near complete.

meichele:

[ QUOTE ]
The latest also allows drops out to 4000 yards with any zero.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this available as an upgrade for current owners of TRA???

Michael,
It has been recommended that I use the current density altitude at a location when figuring the bullet drop and wind correction at any particular time. Density altitude takes virtually all the environmental conditions into consideration. Is this possible in your program and/or Exbal. I have thought that I would buy both and see which I like better. Does yours work on a Palm or pocket PC as well as a desktop? Please compare the two programs. Thanks.
Paul

I wouldnt ask me to compare the two. As the designer of TRA, I would be very bias.

I have thought about allowing use of density altitude, but it has not yet hit my drawing board. There have been too many other popular features to interface. As these become completed and the demand for DA increases, it will be interfaced as well.

As far as a palm version.... [ QUOTE ]
I have also completed a calculator for use on any handheld that runs excel. Its not as fancy as others but gives as accurate of data as the reloaders archive desk top program. Also it doesnt give you a huge chart. You enter the range to target and it gives you one figure in inches, clicks, MOA's, MILLS and NPR2 bars. In a hunting situation, this is better as it leaves less to be confuse with. A long drop chart is just plain fancy crap hunters dont need. Its not that it cant be done, I started out with a full on drop table and eliminated it for simplicity. Leave the fancy programs for a more calm enviornment. The best part about it is that from here on, it comes free with TRA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael,
Enough said. Very honest! Sorry. Thanks much. I'm just trying to get out of the ignorant stage.
God bless,
Paul

BTW,

The latest trial is uploaded and now available on my site. It runs smoothly instead of shutting down every few minutes.

With a differant type of security used in this trial, some items wont be able to be printed and the range card functions wont work. Other than that, at least a guy can actually use it for a while and get familiar with it.

Any ??'s email me.

Michael:

The 4000 yard drop charts are great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ScreenHunter_11Jan.gif

If anyone is interested, you can set the start range to 100, use 25 yard increments and get 25 yard increments out to 1000, set it at 1000 and 25 and get 25 yard increments out to 2000, set it at 2000 and 25 or 3000 and 25 and also get the 25 yard increments out to 3000 and 4000 yards.

Thanks for your help and continuing to improve an already great product. Customer service and support is as good as it gets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Michael:

The XXX was input after the calculations were done and thus it affects nothing. It's there because the "XXX" will hopefully eliminate the "BS" about the actual "BC" that I use and have proven in my equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts