Exbal or LoadBase ?

One more question about Loadbase. For the program that is run on your handheld device do you download it from where you purchased it directly to your handheld or does it go to your pc then to the handheld? Just want to do it correct the first time.
Thanks

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier my home computer stroked out on the ads on this site, work laptop has software to block them so it works much better.

You'll load via a sync program from desk top to PPC, just fallow the prompts.

Drag is a fine tune function for BC more or less, it seems it you have to adjust more than 10% then you have an other input that needs to be more accurate.

Angle to line of sight is the one thing I struggle with, LB's method is more accurate than using the o'clock method but not as easy for my brain to lock in on. I'll have to look at my PPC to give the best advice on it as it tells you as you move it what direction the wind is coming from. The target angle is in two areas one for direction of travel of movers I believe and the other is target angle to you for ranging as a function in the PPC.

I rarely use Field charts due to the fact I'm packing the PPC but the one your looking at is for field ranging you targets, you set it up for target size and what unit your reticule ranges in, mrad, moa or iphy. I set the wind value to 5mph then print one of from my one gong for trying to range and cold bore hit using my reticule, I suck at it and grab the laser!

The reticule hold over function is excellent!!! Have used it with great success and like it a lot. When hunting I set my data at the hunting area then pull up the reticule chart and go hunting, that way if something is long but needs fast correction I hit one button and I have the data I need.

Go slow with LB you can bog your self down because it has so much depth to it and stuff that is cool but that can get you head spinning before you get the fundamentals locked down. READ THE MANUAL, it is very good and has very good info in it and will give you better answers than I will, but I can try to help, also Eaglet is a guru on LB and my tech support! Phorwath is very good with it as well and done some interesting things with it.

I have both and use the Exbal --- Loadbase is too difficult to use. I do not see that product as being around in the long term.

Sorry that you found it difficult, I would agree that LB is not easy at first and does have a learning curve to it, but once past that I've found it easier to use in the field than Exbal simply because of being able to update the range and wind values on the solution screen without flipping to other pages the back to the solution window.

You must have a version I don't for your PPC, I'm running 6.5 which as far as I can tell is the latest version still for sale and does not support G-7 BC's but does support multiple BC's which a guy can get about the same thing done with. The desk top version does however support G-7 but that does not help me out having one version differ from an other in how you input vital data.

The desk top PC version is the one that I was refering to, Exbal 10.0

Last edited:
bigngreen
You are not kidding there is a lot in this program. It is not just put a few numbers in and you are done. The reticle one if accurate is a great tool.
Thanks For The Answers

bigngreen
You are not kidding there is a lot in this program. It is not just put a few numbers in and you are done. The reticle one if accurate is a great tool.
Thanks For The Answers

LB does not need any more data than other programs to give good corrections but what it has is the ability to add a whole lot more into the correction if you choose, don't let if scare you the core of it is just as simple as anything else! I've found it great as I start with a rifle I just work on core data, then I'll add spin drift, then maybe multiple winds in spots I know I need it, it can be just a simple ballistics program for good corrections or it can be a total ballistics solution. For what you get it is a steal at the price you pay, IMO!!
I'm super jacked to start using the GPS and Kestrel functions on the PPC version :D
The reticule charts are the same data as the main firing solution so it is as accurate as any other correction it will give you which is dependent on you giving it good data.
Good luck with it, and dig into the manual!!!!gun)

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and purchased LB 3.0 but that does not mean I will not get exbal also.
Thanks Again

You made the right decision. I'm convinced you bought the very best on the market
right now. It's really easy to use if you have an idea of what you're doing and amazingly accurate. I'll try to answer more as I have time. For now let me just say as an owner of both programs for many years, they can not be compared. There simply is no comparison.

8wh89d.jpg

Great thread.
In the past I have found the information Eaglet and others have posted on LB to be to techy and over my head, so I have stayed with Exbal and my Dell Axim.
But maybe this winter I need to take a closer look at LB. Its seems the learning curve on this system is more difficult , but maybe worth it once you get thru it.
I wonder if Eaglet or someone would be willing to start a dedicated thread about LB as a tutorial(instructional) going thru functions of the system. Maybe go thru one function of the system a week, with no written responses to the thread to keep it from getting cluttered. That way , us simple laymen can practice on that function for the week until the next lesson. As I am a simple ditch digger, technically challenged, I would find this very helpful, and would look into buying the system.

Is there anyway to sell LB3.0 after you buy it? I do not wish to brake any copywrite laws but I have the full package for the hand held and the PC. I have not turned either one on in months. Plus I have several updates that have been sent to me I have never opend. I would sell it very reasonable if it is legal. If I wanted another program other than exbal I would go to a droid X phone and get "Shooter". My son has it and it seems easier to use than LB to me and appears to have all the bells too. I think I read where Bryan Lintz recommended "Shooter" too.

Jeff

LB is a more robust program that is not in doubt---just has a higher learning curve and I have to disable security protocols on my computer to get it to run—a known bug. I only bought it for the ability to have multiple conditions input for wind drift.

Exbal, Quickload and Quickdesign are my favorites but still use Load From a Disk on occasion.

Exball has never let me down. I see no reason to change, if it works "don't fix it" is my motto

Broz,
I had read a thread over on Sniper'shide that a guy was having trouble with Shooter giving him the correct dope . I have no experience with it, might want to check it out further before you buy.
JWP475,
I will have to say that EXbal has not let me down so far either, but have not taken it out past 1000 yards either.

Broz,
I had read a thread over on Sniper'shide that a guy was having trouble with Shooter giving him the correct dope . I have no experience with it, might want to check it out further before you buy.

Thanks I will check it out. My son has been using his for a while. We have been out together on 3 occations and we have sit in many locations and compared the program to my exbal with all my rifle info in it. It has been spot on so far for us. I like the fact it will pull field conditions from GPS and all you have to enter is distance. If you dont have cell service you can enter them manually or have them set up to bluetooth them over from a bt equiped kestrel. Pretty neat. Plus if you want to mess around with the azmuth and coriolis it will pull that info too by aiming your phone. Beats carrying a compass along to add to the confusion. It even has an angle finder and all you do is lay the phone on the rifle or point it at the target. I will only consider a switch durring summer practise time. For now Exbal has helped me to take every thing I have pulled the trigger on.

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited:
Yeahhhh! Kestrel and GPS..... Cool things to use.....

28vyfbk.jpg

TO ALL:

Look at all the tabs.... My goodness, it will spin your head... in that case stick with the Chevy 1929...

Right now I have not used these functions among other things I don't have a kestrel 4000 series.

When using the Kestrel and info is coming in alive, the info is seen "black in yellow like the examples pictured. Be it you're using the Analyzer Module, or the Logbook Module, the Ballistic Module.... etc.

1z2n5eu.jpg

Look at all the tabs.... please scrutinize all the pics.... I'm not disagreeing with every one here, if Exbal hasn't let you down that's great, keep using it. This is not about throwing dirt on other ballistic applications, this is about giving the people the best info, the best application that is obtainable in the market right now. Man! if I was making money doing this I could probably afford to buy the kestrel I want.

I'm in total and complete disagreement with anyone trying to pass on deceiving information about any application in existence and misleading the folks in this forum to believe a misconception. That I dislike very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not Shooter, It's not Exbal, it's not Ballistic Explorer, it's not etc, etc... scrutinize what I recommend to be the best and then drive a bike if that makes you happy. I'll be happy for you.

LoadBase is only as complicated as you want it to be!!!

Don't let no one to make up your mind for you; you be open minded, study, research, ask etc and then make up your own mind.

After all, the rifle is only as good as the shooter.

The Ballistic Application is only as good as the operator.

It takes dedication to have the power in your hands that LB3.0 offers today to the long range shooter.

Just Eaglet's opinion for whatever is worth.

Great thread.
In the past I have found the information Eaglet and others have posted on LB to be to techy and over my head, so I have stayed with Exbal and my Dell Axim.
But maybe this winter I need to take a closer look at LB. Its seems the learning curve on this system is more difficult , but maybe worth it once you get thru it.
I wonder if Eaglet or someone would be willing to start a dedicated thread about LB as a tutorial(instructional) going thru functions of the system. Maybe go thru one function of the system a week, with no written responses to the thread to keep it from getting cluttered. That way , us simple laymen can practice on that function for the week until the next lesson. As I am a simple ditch digger, technically challenged, I would find this very helpful, and would look into buying the system.

trueblue,

My Asus pda took a dive. I bought me a dell Axim x50v and now, long story short, I ended up having 2 Dell Axims x50v. Only one of them has LoadBase but I'm thinking about keeping them both and load both with LoadBase.

How about it Broz? Price it right after investigating if it's legal to do and I might just take that "no good thing" off your hands. "I might...", maybe. I bought LoadBase for my PC, Laptop, PDA, I just might get it for another PDA since I happen to have a second one. Will be more useful to me than 100 bucks in my pocket. :D

The dedicated thread thing is a good idea, I second that! We have folks in here that are knowledgeable and can do a great job! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.