Everyone needs to see this

I'll up front say I would never use a rifle designed as that one. The number of threads available for purchase looks marginal at best.. I would love to have the dimensions and calculate the clamping potential and failure analysis.

There sure is a learning curb here. I find it very interesting on what being brought forward here. I have seen a few 50cal come apart in Vietnam. That was generally over use Mom-2 during a fire fight. It wasn't my MOS to be using a 50cal. I can remember mostly powder burns, because the 50 was to hot and the round cooking off outside the chamber. It happen with the M-60 too. I know I if ever come across a threaded end cap rifle, I am getting away from it. It also points to the ammo being used. I know that I will be more aware of muzzle brakes in general. GREAT INPUT!!!

I have been shooting .50 BMG for many years. I also have SLAP ammo, but only use it in a belt fed (no brake) You definitely don't shoot sabo rounds with a muzzle brake, period!
Also, some thought bullet to case "weld" this can not happen with a sabot.
The previous round was jacketed and would have cleared any obstruction.
They noted a change in muzzle flash, this is an indication of the sabot causing an obstruction, forcing more flash out of the brake.
It is possible that round was hotter than the others. I doubt that even if the sabot got completely sideways in the brake the rifle would blow up like that. There would be damage to the brake for sure that would prove it.
I really can't believe the manufacturer ever brought that firearm to market. I wouldn't even think about shooting one, especially after seeing this! Most people have no idea how much power you are dealing with in the .50 BMG round.
Watch the manufacturer response to the incident on you tube. I'd never buy or recommend it!! I'm not perfect by any means but before I hosted a video for the public I'd attempt to clean or organize the shop!!!!

Thanks Butterbean and thanks to those who pointed out the issues with sabots and muzzle brakes. I had known not to do shoot sabots with a brake but did not make the connection while watching the video. The individual that was injured did not did not seem to make the possible connection between sabots and the accident. I did not know what a SLAP round was. Why shoot crazy old ammunition? All of my precision rifles have never had a factory round in them. I certainly would not shoot thirty year old ammunition.

I guess the lesson is.

1) Know your ammunition.
2) Do not shoot alone.
3) Have a trauma kit and training.

And for those inclined to do stupid things.
Do not shoot thirty year old sabot ammunition of questionable heritage while using a questionable firearm design, while using a muzzle brake, just to get a few internet clicks on Youtube.

So the issue with sabot does not in anyway effect the chamber or pressure curve until it's at the brake. It is damaging to the brake from peeling or at worst the distal barrel end. The chamber has already seen the peak pressure from that round before the projectile and sabot reach the brake and there would be at worst a reverted pressure wave of a minor order. Even a damaged brake while unpleasant and expensive would be removed from the rifle in a expedient manner well after peak pressure. I fully endorse extreme caution with heritage ammunition and especially, for myself, rifle designs that make my danger hairs stand up.

Yes I agree. Threads shouldn't be relied on for that high of chamber pressure. A Remington 700 can hold up to 100K+ PSI and they aren't designed for 50cals haha. I'm glad he's okay too. Very very scary.
I agree the rifle was at fault, a threaded cap ???
Also keep in mind pound per square inch.
The bolt face of a 50BMG is bigger than a normal rifle therefore the trust forge on the locking system is also bigger than say a 5/8"Rem bolt face

Thanks Butterbean and thanks to those who pointed out the issues with sabots and muzzle brakes. I had known not to do shoot sabots with a brake but did not make the connection while watching the video. The individual that was injured did not did not seem to make the possible connection between sabots and the accident. I did not know what a SLAP round was. Why shoot crazy old ammunition? All of my precision rifles have never had a factory round in them. I certainly would not shoot thirty year old ammunition.

I guess the lesson is.

1) Know your ammunition.
2) Do not shoot alone.
3) Have a trauma kit and training.

And for those inclined to do stupid things.
Do not shoot thirty year old sabot ammunition of questionable heritage while using a questionable firearm design, while using a muzzle brake, just to get a few internet clicks on Youtube.
20/20 hindsight is good, but not knowing at the time is one of those things. It happens all the time. The one thing is we all got to learn on somebody else nickel. Tough lesson. Now the biggest problem is do we remember and watch going forward so that problem doesn't arise again. Now I never seen a rifle like that, but I am aware of them now. I am glad I can't throw the first stone either. Never done any stupid things. HaHa! Life is a learning curb and a lot of us get to live another day. Thank God!

Just glad everyone's ok.
Last Saturday on the bench next to me at our local range, a young guy blew up his new AR using reloaded ammo offered by some website. It blew out his mag and broke the bolt. No one injured.

I love this forum . I've learned so much just from this thread alone .
# 1 That looks to be a very poor designed rifle
# 2 The emergency call with the iPhone did not know they was capable of that
#3 I always have a first aid kit in truck but as mentioned prior I need to upgrade to one more suitable for a accidental gunshot. Especially when going to the range . It'll just stay in truck
# 4 I'd never thought about sabot loads and muzzle brakes but will from here on .
Everyone here is almost always more than willing to help , and I thank you all .

Here the other year at a range, I noted a young man and his girl friend shooting AR-15. Holding it on an angle. Oh what do I have going on almost next to me. He had a top scope and a open sight on the side of it. He trying to shoot at 25 yards. Wasn't hitting anything either. So I watch for a little bit. Then went over to them, and asking what they were trying to do. He said the open sight was for close range. Hell could have done a better job just pointing the rifle at the target and adjust as shooting or just throwing a rock. I wondered if he was in the arm forces, and he said no. That figures. I guess he watched to many movies. If I don't know the person that reloaded the ammo, I don't shot it. That is generally in their rifle too.

1 - holy cow, glad he's ok.
2 - wear your shooting glasses, no matter what!
3 - i'm not saying that the rifle manufacturer is negligent, but that looks like a poor design.
4 - dont shoot old ammo

where i shoot is 30 minutes from the nearest hospital and i have no cell service. i need to go to some sort of medical care course and learn what to do in cases like this.

Watch the manufacturer response to the incident on you tube. I'd never buy or recommend it!! I'm not perfect by any means but before I hosted a video for the public I'd attempt to clean or organize the shop!!!!
I think I watched that video but saw nothing of the shop, he was just standing in front of a blow-up drawing of the rifle. Maybe there is a different video than the one I saw?