Ever use Starke bullets? Photos

Skinny Shooter

.308 bullets alongside a .224 bullet.
fca2d814.jpg

fca2d804.jpg

Starke Bullets
I'm planning on trying the 150gr bullets in the 308 with Varget this season for skinnys.
Has anyone had experience with this bullet? And what kind of distance might I get? Starke has a 168gr RP also.
Thanks.

I did some bullet testing for Starke a few years ago when he was trying to design a double boattail for 22's. We never could get them to stabalize (55 grain bullets keyholed).

He is a very nice person, and used to donate to our Texas Varmint Shootout.

I have never used his 308's but give them a try, I like his Red Prarie for the 22's.

Jim

SS

See that huge Hollow point on those Starke bullets?

They will drop like a ton of bricks at longrange, if that's what you plan on doing with them.

That's the trouble with the 25 cal Sierra HP 117 Gr. It drops like crazy and it's one of the few HP bullets in the Sierra line that does NOT perform as well as some of the lighter brands such as the 100 gr Ballistic tip. It (BT) will shoot MUCH flatter then that 117 gr Sierra Bullet. We tested this at 1100 yards one day and used the two bullets against each other using the SAME powder charge. That **** big HP dropped like a brick.

You might be better off using the 155 gr Sierra Palma, the 168 Gr MK or the 175 gr MK in your 308.
The 175 Gr in the 308 Winchester has (once in a while) done pretty good at Williamsport.

If Starke bullets are all like that, they won't get a penny from DC.

Later

As I'm sure Darryl is aware of, the HP creates a small bubble of air in front of the bullet and actually causes less turbulence, and thus less drag, but the HP on the SGK HP and that one are pretty **** big. I wonder at what point it becomes "too" big. The BC Sierra lists for the 165gr SGK "HP" is .363, and the 168gr SMK HP is .462, both have different designs too, but a major departure is the huge HP, and I mean HUGE, just as DC says. The 155 Palma has a higher BC than both and is a much better choice, even though they use a slower 14 twist (optimum) for them I believe. They shoot great in my sons 12 twist 308win!

Darryl, was thinking about 600 yards or so.
Is that too far?
They make match bullets besides the varmint style pictured above.
Boyd, give 'em a phone call. They've always taken the time to talk on the phone and seem like nice folks.
Jim, the 55gr RP works well out of a 22-250 with Varget. Need to do more load testing this Spring though.

Brent

The HP on those bullets will create MORE drag because of that large opening.
A small HP opening is ideal for less drag but when going that large, a reverse effect occurs.
I saw what happens with the large HP opening when testing that 117 Gr 25 Cal Sierra HP bullet. It died on the way to the target compaired to a "TIGHT (small Hole) HP" bullet.

SS
Even at 500 or 600 yards (for hunting) I would go with the 155 Palma or 168 Gr MK.
I honestly believe they will be more accurate and there will be less drop observed.
They (Sierra) both shoot well in my 308 "10 twist" barrel.

Later

Shot a goose once at 575 yds. with an XP-100 .17 Mach IV, and one of Starke's 30 gr HP's, believe it or not. I don't imagine that has a whole lot of application here though.

SS,

Everybody Knows those useless barrel fouling, throat eroding, wind blown little 17 caliber bullets can't shoot that far or be used on anything larger than a house cat.
rolleyes.gif
That goose must have been ready to die anyway and just fell over about the time you shot.
wink.gif

Kind of like a few hundred coyotes who have fallen over dead at the same time I pointed my 17 Remington at them.
grin.gif

I have used the 115 grain Starkes in my 7 MM RM to take several coyotes out to 600 yards. Under 300, that big HP tends to do a lot more ripping and tearing than I find necessary. But they have been fairly accurate and good for a lot of one shot kills.

Tim

Tim, not to get off the subject here, but have you tried Todd Kindler's new 30 gr. Gold? A friend tells me it's a very well designed BTHP, with a good B.C. He's taken several 500 yd. dogs with it, and actually got one at a lasered 645 yds. at around 4000 f.p.s. m.v. from a wildcatted PPC case. The guy's Blaine Eddy out of UT--used to write some for Small Caliber News.

By the way, Boyd, You should try calling him (Clint Starke). He's a heck of a nice guy. Must be something wrong with his computer or something. He's not the type to ignore someone.

SS,

This is the first I've heard of them. I had my 17 Remington completely rebuilt last fall. It now holds a 27" HV Lilja barrel with a tight neck chamber.

My intentions were to swap out the Vari-X II scope on in this Spring for one designed for LR shooting. But I got a wild hair and ordered a new 300 Tomahawk a month ago. Need a new scope for it too.

Slipping two new Leupolds in the house this spring is going to require some fancy talking to the wife.
wink.gif

I tell ya, this guy Eddy is INTO it. He kills over a hundred in a fur season, and he says this is the only .17 cal. bullet to shoot. His screen name is Low Dog, I think, and he's on www.predatormasters, or accuratereloading. I can't remember which. He's very much into the accuracy part.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.