Ever have one of those days?

joe0121

Recently I had some rounds I had to force a bit to chamber. I use a Lee collet neck sizer and these have been re-loaded about 5 times. So I decided to full length size them with my Hornady new dimension die and bump the shoulder back .010.

I set up all the tooling. Measured the fire brass and set the dies up. Annealed all the brass about 150 rounds. I thought about removing the decapping pin because I am still going to neck size with the lee die but didnt. So the first hundred or so rounds go just fine than I get one stuck.

Luckily I have the RCBS stuck case tool handy so I put the bit in the drill press and drill the pilot hole. Not thinking I throw the Tap in my Makita impact driver. Hole drilled in the case I use the Makita to run the Tap. Than proceed to unstick the case. Of course the de-capping pin is still stuck in the case No worries I have a plan.

I carefully select a punch and put on gloves. Stick the case in a vice and grab the torch. I heat the mouth of the case and gently force the punch in to open it up. I get it open pull the punch and put on some gloves I'm not getting burnt on a hot de-capping pin. I grab the case in some pliers and tip it over to catch the pin, it bounces out of my gloved hand hits my fore arm and rolls inside my glove. Yawsa! that was hot. I get the pin pack in the decapping rod and put it away and go to clean up all the tools. I then realize the tap was not meant for a impact driver but was just big enough to go in and feal snug. Well now it's stuck in my 100+ drill and I cant get it out.

I finished resizing the brass and have it in the tumbler and I'm trying to decide if I want to quite while i'm ahead and finish loading them another day.

go watch a hunting show or 2, while holding a gun and drinking a cup of coffee, maybe grab a snack. then go finish them up this afternoon. gotta let that frustration leave otherwise your not going to enjoy yourself.

Try holding the tap with something like pliers not on the threads and bump the trigger in reverse. I have problems with driver bits sticking in a Dewalt impact driver at work often and this trick works. Most times I can hold the bit with my hand, but I wouldn't advise it with a tap. Maybe if it happens again, since the case is junk because of the drilled out primer pocket try hack sawing through the case body to keep the burns to a minimum. Hopefully your day gets better and I would wait to continue. Nothing worse than trying to be precise while you're already frustrated.

go watch a hunting show or 2, while holding a gun and drinking a cup of coffee, maybe grab a snack. then go finish them up this afternoon. gotta let that frustration leave otherwise your not going to enjoy yourself.
I went out to dinner with my wife I'm done for the day anyways need to submit some school work.
Try holding the tap with something like pliers not on the threads and bump the trigger in reverse. I have problems with driver bits sticking in a Dewalt impact driver at work often and this trick works. Most times I can hold the bit with my hand, but I wouldn't advise it with a tap. Maybe if it happens again, since the case is junk because of the drilled out primer pocket try hack sawing through the case body to keep the burns to a minimum. Hopefully your day gets better and I would wait to continue. Nothing worse than trying to be precise while you're already frustrated.
I'll try that in my bench vice later. I could care less about the tap I just want my drill back. Boy the RCBS kit is handy just should have been lazy and tried using the impact. The regular drill was like ten feet away.

joe0121,

I have to LOL i just went through the same thing last weekend. I left the bench for about an hour came back and had the case out in less than 3 mins.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.